Weekend Coffee Share.....Come sit with me




It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try. I have loved getting to know different bloggers and I figure if they take the time to write a post, I'll find the time to visit, even if it's a week later. I truly enjoy what you all share and I often learn so much. 

Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare.

If we were having coffee or tea we'd probably talk about:

The weather: I don't even know if this is worth talking about, unless we're talking about the fact that our weather seems to have multiple personalities lately. I shouldn't even bother looking at the weather apps. Just go with the flow. On Tuesday of last week, we had some crazy weather and many people reported what is called Graupel falling. It was larger than our typical hail but softer. When I looked it up, it was described as ice that forms around a snow pellet. Some apparently fell when we were in the movie theater and my son in law sent my daughter a picture. He said it was a bit larger than our normal hail, but it was soft. I would've loved to have seen it. Here's a video I found. Hopefully it works. 



 


 What we're thinking about: I'm trying to finish this post at 9:00 Saturday night, and I've hit a wall. If I don't finish it tonight I probably won't have time tomorrow. I have been thinking about health and wellness, and making some changes to try and get some weight off. Trying to up my exercise routine again, and making even better choices eating wise. That menopause "middle" is a bit fluffy, even though I'm not fully in menopause yet. 

What we're thankful for: In this season of Spring and Easter, I'm reminded of our potential for renewal, rebirth, transformation. That there is so much hope, even when so much seems hopeless. That I have the opportunity every day to impact someone's life. I have the opportunity to change my own life in a myriad of small ways. 


What we're reading or wanting to read: I finished our book club book a few weeks ago, The Measure. It was a really good, really thought provoking. We are meeting this next week to discuss it. I just finished Vienna Prelude..it was a long one. I was left hanging but it is a series, so maybe it continues there. It was good, but not a favorite. I'm currently listening to The Joy of Missing Out, by Tanya Dalton. I don't think I'm even on chapter two and I have so many spots bookmarked. I'll go back and listen to those and write the thoughts down. I also listened to the book Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci. I really enjoyed that one though he did drop the F-Bomb a few times more than I care for. 



I didn't read as many books in March as I would've liked, but I'm still on track with my Goodreads reading goal. 

What we've listened to or watched: I did watch an episode of Magnolia Table and started another show though I can't remember what it is called. I also listened to a few episodes of a short podcast I enjoy. Last Tuesday, my girls went with me to see the showing of The Journey: with Andre Bocelli. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a high budget film but the scenery was beautiful, I enjoyed the music, and the conversations he had with his guests and his wife. Kym, at A Fresh Cup of Coffee, shared this review of it. One quote she shared said one of his hopes for the movie is that it would offer an invitation to fully live and recognize our daily miracles. In the the movie, they travel about 200 miles on horseback along the Via Francigena, an ancient path traveled by pilgrims for centuries. It certainly made me want to go back to Italy. 

One of our customers came into work today and while I was helping him, he got a phone call from an old buddy of his. He hung up quickly and said, "okay, go home, turn on You Tube and look for Yukon Passage." From our conversation, I gleaned that this must be something he was in. Sure enough, I came home and looked it up. It's a National Geographic special. Here's the link. It was shot in 1977 and James Stewart was the narrator. I haven't watched it all but plan to tomorrow. 

Yukon Passage documents the grandeur and beauty of one of America's last great, unspoiled wildernesses as it takes you on a wild adventure through the frozen reaches of Canada and Alaska. Journey back in time with four courageous young men who set out on a danger-filled trip inspired by the hardship and romance of the men and women lured by the Gold Rush of 1898. The Four adventurers face the desolation and biting cold of the Arctic Circle and brave the roaring rapids of the Yukon River as they travel 1,800 miles on foot, skis, log raft and dogsled. From www.youtube.com (grsw)

Around the house: Well, guess what I haven't done around the house? If you guessed "planted your spring bulbs", you'd be right. I'll get to it...eventually. I also still haven't found a new comforter set. The struggle is real. I'm not much of a spring cleaner but I do want to do some deeper cleaning in some areas. I need to get to the windows, and some deeper sweeping/dusting.

For the love of food: I don't think I've made much of anything new or worth really mentioning. We did order out at a restaurant a few weeks ago and take it to my daughters house. Indy had been under the weather and had been disappointed he had missed so many things, so he invited us to dinner. We ordered wings and some soup at his request. They were pretty good. It had a "construction zone" kind of look, but was neat. 




I did make some sourdough rolls for Easter tomorrow, as well as a broccoli salad. The rolls are in the refrigerator and I'll take them out in the morning to do their final rise. 

I mentioned in my last post that I had made a corned beef for dinner one night. We had some left over, so the following night, I made us grilled Reuben sandwiches on sourdough. They turned out really good as well. 


I made some sourdough scones a few weeks ago that turned out really good. You can find the recipe here. 

Thistle and Kiwi has inspired me to try some new things from our local farmers market. She always shares such amazing things, and has new items in her market basket. Now that our farmers markets are back, I hope to visit them more regularly.


A favorite photo:

When I babysat last week, we did a spring craft. We made tulips with paint dipped in forks...later I laughed when I looked at Peppers...it looks like a crime scene...haha. 
It is fun watching them do things together. 


Favorite quote of the week: Here and here are links to my last two #WQ posts. They were both around the ideas of awakening, renewal and Easter. Here are a few quotes from them. 





Random or not so random things: Tomorrow is Easter. We will be celebrating at my inlaws in the afternoon. I'm helping my daughter run her coffee cart tomorrow morning at their church. 

My toner in our printer at home ran out of ink. I've been trying to find a suitable replacement and have returned two already that didn't work well. I'm hoping the one i got today will be a winner. I can always print things at work, but it's nice to have it handy at home.

My husband played April Fools jokes on both our daughters and myself and pulled them all off. I couldn't believe it. As he was working on our finances, he came into the room I was in and said that our bank accounts were all showing zero. I was like "what", thinking "oh no, what happened". I started logging in and then paused, realizing what day it was. Then he called my oldest and told her that I had fallen while on the treadmill (I am a bit of a klutz) and had to go to the hospital, but he had been called to a job and could she meet me there..she was thinking "well, Anna is home, why isn't she going and I'm just going to have to wait in the waiting room". I died laughing thinking "thanks a lot. I have to go to the hospital, and neither of you are going to go with me"....haha. Then he went upstairs, woke our youngest up and told her he dinged her car backing up...she didn't completely fall for it, just a little, but she was also asleep so her reaction probably would've been better had she been more awake. 

This is also our 12th week of doing our 70,000 step a week challenge. I think we are going to go for another 12 weeks. I was planning on continuing, but then also adding in hitting 5 miles every day. right now I average just over 4.5 miles to get my 10,000 steps. Easter Day might be hard to get steps in...It's supposed to rain and we won't be moving around as much. I'll have to be determined to do it. 

Well, I think that's it for this week. I'm tired. So off to bed. I hope you all have a happy Easter if you celebrate.

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Thank you for reminding me the meaning of Easter -- there is something beautiful about renewal, rebirth, and transformation especially considering all the things that have happened over the past month.

    Wow 12 weeks on at 70k steps per week! That's quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie for visiting...and your comment. The 12 weeks was hard, but here we are doing it again..haha

      Delete
  2. Hi Kirstin, you got me. I'd never heard of Graupel before and had to watch the video to understand it - but now it makes perfect sense and I think I've seen it before. We used to live in Colorado and the weather was always entertaining us with something new and weird. Once I'm pretty sure I saw ball-lightning and had to watch it long enough to make sure I wasn't seeing a UFO or aircraft coming right at us.
    Cool stuff. I appreciate you calling it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who live in CO and always post the weird weather. Central Oregon is also known for experiencing many seasons in one day. Haha!

      Delete
  3. Great coffee share, Kirstin. You are so busy and so organized from books, to crafts to blog posts and recipes. I don't know how you get so much done in a week! Like Gary, I've never heard of Graupel before. I think we might have had a little version of that - very tiny, but soft. Yours was much more exciting. Hope you have as interesting and productive week this week as you had last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha...I feel very behind in some things that I "want" to make time for...lol. I had never heard of graupel either, so strange.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kirstin - lovely catching up on your news and I've just shared a post that finished with the true meaning of Easter (I loved your quote). I think we lose the impact of Jesus' death when we blur it all out with chocolate, bunnies and hot cross buns. I will say though, that those grilled Reuben sandwiches looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leanne. I appreciate. you visiting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts