Me Camp......Ohio Vacation 2024


Since 2020 I have been to Ohio 3 times (I didn't go in 2021). After my dad passed away (in 2021), and my family and I took a trip to visit family in Ohio, my husband said "you need to go out there once a year". So I have. In 2023 I went out in October to help harvest the grapes, which I just realized I never created a post for, but now need to. I'm visiting my moms 3 sisters, their spouses, and my moms brother. My mom passed away in 2005.

This photos is from our 2022 visit. My girls and I, with my 3 aunts and my uncle. 

This photo is of my girls with my mom not long before she passed away. It might have been the year before. 

Both of my parents were born and raised in Ohio. We lived there until I was in the 4th grade. Now, one of my aunts (Jan) lives on Kelley's Island, while the other two (Lynne and Patti) and my uncle (Donnie) live on the mainland, near the ferry dock. 

This year I was joking with my husband after he said "maybe I should go with you"..saying "no, this is MY time, in fact I'm calling it "Me Camp". I heard this phrase from someone I follow. Now, when this gal uses the term, she goes to a different place each year, by herself. I don't quite have that financial luxury and I like to experience new places with my people. However, I do enjoy taking time to just hang out with my aunts and uncles. So "me camp" it is. 

Usually when people at work ask where I'm going and I say "Ohio", they look at me funny, like, "why Ohio?". Now, granted, if I didn't have family there, I probably wouldn't go, BUT, I believe every state has it's beautiful.


My view from the sky just before landing in Cleveland. 


I flew out the morning of the 11th. I was originally scheduled to arrive at 7:00pm, however, there was a delay and I didn't arrive until 8:00ish. I flew Southwest airlines, which I hadn't flown in awhile. You do NOT choose your seats. I'm not a huge fan of flying already and the last thing I wanted was to be stuck at the back of the plane in the middle seat. My hubby paid extra for me to do the early bird check in, where Southwest will check you in within 36 hours of your flight. This ensured I'd board in the A group. That was my life saver, especially because my one flight was delayed in Chicago I was able to get in row 4 and sat by the window. It was a short flight, I didn't care where I sat as long as it was in the front. I wanted to get off quick and get to baggage. On the way home, I also got a great row and sat in the aisle. Early Bird check in is the way to go! 
Always gotta get that cup of coffee before getting on the plane.

Because the last ferry was at 9:00 and my aunt had an appointment the next morning on the mainland, we just stayed overnight at one of my other aunts house. After her appointment we hit the grocery store, and then headed to the ferry. I've shared a few posts about my 2020 and 2022 trip. Since I've been back to the island and the area 3 other times, there wasn't a lot I felt like I "needed" to see or do. I really just wanted to be with family and relax. 

I spent 3 nights on the island and the final 3 nights on the mainland. The weather was perfect. Mid-upper 80's and the humidity wasn't bad. My last two days, the temps jumped to the upper 90's and high humidity. Phew, I went at just the right time. 

Before I left, I remembered that when I was there in October of 2023 my aunt and I had went to a book signing by a local author who had written a series of  cozy mysteries set on Lake Erie, and one was specifically on Kelleys island. I had bought it but hadn't read it. I decided this trip would be the perfect time, so into my bag it went. I ended up finished it before I headed home and left it for my aunts to read. It was a cute, cozy read. It was called Sunny Side Up by Olivia Breen.

View of the grounds from the deck of my aunts home (they live above the tasting room).

The crooked Tree (which the vineyard is named after). The wind chimes hanging there belonged to my mom and are on every bottle of wine. 

Time was spent relaxing, taking long walks, observing the happenings at the tasting room, and doing yoga in the pavilion at the vineyard. Good food, good conversations, and a peaceful setting. 


On Wednesday after we got back to the island it was mid afternoon. We just relaxed, went for a walk and then after we got back we went to dinner at the Kelley's Island Wine Company. They have a full restaurant, whereas my aunts place and one other, just have tasting rooms. In the past we've also eaten at The Village Pump (which I remember going to when we were little and visited the island). We ordered Sicilian Mussels which were amazing, I had a loaded lobster crab mac and cheese. So good! Then my aunt and I popped over to the Papa T's ice cream truck and got a cone. When we go to the Village Pump, I love the Walleye bites and Perch. There are rumors that the KI Wine Co and a few other spots are haunted. Read more here. I don't necessarily believe in all that, but it's interesting.

I remember growing up and visiting and thinking this house was haunted. But then check out the photo below. Every time I've visited the island, those window "decorations" haven't changed...haha! Maybe that was really the haunted house. 


On Friday afternoon, while the tasting room was open, I decided to go exploring on my own. The island is a little over 4 square miles. Most homeowners have golf carts, as well as their own vehicles and walking is always an option too I wanted to explore via golf cart. Heading out I first stopped at a local resale store called The Parsonage. Located in an old home and next to the German Reformed Church, it is filled with treasures, along with a large shed out back with more goodies. I always find things I wish I could bring home. I also walked next door to their historical museum. I've yet to wander through the museum part, next time I'll be sure to do that. I browsed through their bookstore and gift area. Last year I purchased a fun Kelley's Island Puzzle book. Actually I purchased two, which is a funny story. I saw it at my aunts house and wanted one. I was so excited when I saw it at the shop (we weren't sure they'd have any), that I grabbed two, but didn't realize I had grabbed two. I paid for them, walked out, got in the car and said "wait a minute, I bought two of these...why in the world did I buy two". My aunt laughed and said she wondered what I was doing. I gave the second one to one of my other aunts who I stayed with on the mainland. Anyways...it's a neat place. 

There are many newer homes on the island, but there are still so many older ones standing. I love them all. From old to new. 


From inside the old quarry. this reminds me of a scene from the movie Ever After.

This was a two story loading dock that was once used to transport limestone to ships on the lake. 

The Old German Reformed Church.

Ruins from one of the old wineries that was destroyed in a fire in 1933, and this wasn't the first fire they had. Read about it here.


From there, I took my time driving down the road, looking at the old houses (and there are old houses). I believe. many of the older homes have been there since the 1800's. I also stopped at Glacier Grooves, and did a hike next to the old quarry ruins. After which I was hot, so I stopped and treated myself to an ice cream cone before heading on my way to just enjoy the scenery. I remember thinking "you know, it's pretty cool to just be driving around an island in a golf cart with no cares in the world". I could possibly get used to that...possibly. I'm not sure I could actually live there. There is not much in the way necessities, and the ferry costs are ridiculous. The rest of the afternoon/evening were spent relaxing and reading. 


Growing up, Glacier Grooves was one of our favorite places to visit. It was fun trying to find the fossils within the rock. 





Now, there are so many educational materials along the path around the grooves. So interesting. 

On Wednesdays and Saturdays there is Yoga at the vineyard, taught by a local gal. I attended Saturdays session and really enjoyed it. The quiet, the birds...it was so pleasant. Saturday afternoon my other two aunts and uncle arrived to help at the tasting room. I just mingled and visited with them, and two second cousins who were there. There was live music, and it was fun to watch them all in action, helping out. My mom would've loved it. At the end of the evening I headed back to the mainland to stay with my Auntie Lynne. Once back, we went out to eat at The Galley, then back to the house. My favorite coffee shop in the area is Victory Coffee & Company. Below are a few more pictures of the island. 




Believe it or not, there is a farm or two as well. 

There is a school on the island. 


My time spent on the mainland was spent playing games; Mahjong and 5,000 rummy. My aunt also introduced me to a Rummikub game on my phone. I love rummikub, and this game was fun, but is addicting..Ha! We also visited the little town of Lakeside, and Marblehead, where I did a bit of shopping. We just enjoyed company, I walked around their manufactured home community in the mornings. I may have had double scoops of ice cream 3 times while I was gone. One of the places we stopped for Ice cream was called Tofts. I'm guessing it's like our Tillamook Ice cream. All I know is it was really good and there were so many flavors to choose from. 








On my last day, we had to drive to Lorain, Ohio to pick up some candy bars from Faroh's Chocolates for the tasting room. This was where everyone grew up, so my aunts Lynne and Patti decided to drive me around to show me everyone's houses, and some other places I might remember. Then we ate lunch where my Aunt Patti worked in 1975, Midway Oh Boy. The food was really good and the prices very reasonable. Such a fun walk down memory lane.

The house I lived in from about 2 years old through 4th grade. 

My paternal grandparents house.

My maternal great grandparents house. 

The house two of my aunts family's lived in (at different times...one sold it to the other when they moved).

Bringing home chocolates. The bars were the best. The others were mostly cream filled and those aren't my favorite. 

My aunt said these were there when she worked there. Each table had their own.

This fountain lights up at night and the water is much higher.

This Easter Basket sure is smaller than it used to be..haha. 

At Easter it's filled with eggs. 

My Maternal grandparents house. 


Then it was time to head to the airport. I  had a nice flight home and while I love being gone and visiting family and new places, I always love being back home. I truly love where we live. 




With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

Popular Posts