Wednesday Hodgepodge.....For the Birds





It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce, who blogs at From This Side of The Pond.  Each week she'll pose some questions for us to answer. What a great way to journal life.


1.  April 26th is National Audubon Day, honoring John James Audubon, the French-American ornithologist, naturalist, and painter known for his detailed study and illustration of birds in their natural habitats. Do you have a bird feeder? I have a hummingbird feeder. I would love to have a few more, but hubby isn't a fan of birds pooping on porches..haha..so I'd like to at some point have some feeders in other spots on our property.  Any birds in your home decor? Not really, but at Christmas I have some wall hangings that have Cardinals on them. I love cardinals. I do have a wind chime outside that has a cardinal on it. There are many things that cardinals represent, but I love the thought of them being a reminder of loved ones who have passed. We don't have Cardinals on the west coast so when I see them in stores, it makes me smile. However, I don't want to fill my house with them, just have a few special pieces. Have you ever owned a pet bird? We did have a few parakeets when I was growing up, but that was it. What's your favorite bird?  I would say Cardinals, but I love hummingbirds, and any colorful bird, or bird with a beautiful song. I really love how red wing blackbirds sound. 

For quite awhile I was seeing pairs of them...I've lost both my parents so to me this was a beautiful reminder that they are always with me! 

2. What's something you took to 'like a duck to water'? Perhaps cooking and Photography. Those two things came pretty easily to me. Maybe someone elses answers will spark something else. 

3. Empty nest, nest egg, proud as a peacock, free as a bird, birds of a feather flock together, or the early bird catches the worm...choose one and tell us how it currently applies to your life. Early bird catches the worm. I laughed at a recent meme I saw that said "I'm not an early bird, or a night owl, I'm some form of permanently exhausted pigeon." I'm an early bird because I like to get up early to get the workout done and have time to get things done before work, or some quiet time before starting the day. I'd love to be both!! I saw another meme somewhere that was good in regards to it being okay to be an early bird, and it's also okay to be a night owl...I wish I could find it. 

4. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds...your favorite seed and a favorite food or dish made with that seed or topped with that seed? Oh man. I love seeds. I'm going to go with poppyseed and poppyseed muffins! Have you tried all the seeds on the list? Yes, I've tried them all. Any you don't care for? No, I don't mind them all depending on the form they're being consumed. Drives me nuts when they get stuck in my teeth. I use almost all of them in my homemade granola and energy bites.  




5. Something in the past week that made you 'happy as a lark'? I'd say being with my grandkids. They make me happy as a lark. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. I'm typing this on Tuesday. It's my day off to do whatever I feel like I want to do. This morning I dropped my car off at an auto shop to have them look at something and since it's only a mile from home, I decided to walk home. It's a nice morning, though cold, and I would get my steps in. I got 5,000 steps before 9:00 am. Depending on when it's done I may walk back to pick it up. 

Right now, as I'm typing, I'm listening to the replay of a live event with Matthew McConaughey and several other speakers. It's really good so far. 

Today is a day I plan to just spend at home and get things done around here. I'm hoping to go outside at some point and plant some bulbs, maybe do some clean up. I might also have the grandkids up here for a little bit. I am just feeling the need to have an unstructured day...to do what feels right doing. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. I wish I could even get that many steps in but I'm stuck at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother adored Cardinals; so of course when I see one I think of her. (And say, "Hello." lol)
    Your energy bars look amazingly good. Thank you for the link to your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red sure pops in the art piece. I did have some red birds at Christmas this year...
    Ahh Matthew McConaughey - my son played in a early movie of his as an extra. Said he was a "cool guy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't get as many cardinals here as in other places I've lived, but we do have a lot of birds and lots of variety. I love the bluebirds. Hope you enjoyed your unstructured day. I had a day like that this weekend and was completely unproductive, but needed that sort of day so no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love unstructured days especially in between very busy ones. Those energy bites look good! Sweet Cardinal pairs. We don't see Cardinals here...that I know of. Happy last couple days of April to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts