Wednesday Hodgepodge








It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce, who blogs at From This Side of The Pond.  Each week she'll pose some questions for us to answer. What a great way to journal life.

1.Why do you blog? I blog as a creative outlet. Have your reasons changed over time? I wouldn't say my reason has changed as much as what I share. I used to share a lot of "day in the life of our family", recipes, I was a part of Secret Recipe Club for quite awhile, etc. Now it's mostly sharing link parties, trying to get back into sharing recipes, posts about trips we've taken, etc. I had been lagging for awhile and the link parties have helped me get back into the flow of blogging and act as a sort of journal for me. I've also met (online and a few IRL) some great people who I've enjoyed following. I'm currently working on a series of posts from our October 2022 anniversary trip. I'm working on day 6 now. I really want to go back and begin updating some of my recipe posts with new photos. 

2. What's a typical Friday night look like at your house? Not unlike any other night really. I come home from work and make dinner, though occasionally my hubby will suggest we grab takeout (usually a pizza from the corner store), or every now and then we'll go somewhere local. I still usually end up in bed by 9:00. If we have company over or want to get together with friends, we will that on a Friday or Saturday evening. 

3. Do you like donuts? Yes, I love donuts. Your favorite kind? I like quite a few kind, but my favorite come from a local donut shop about 10 minutes from home and they have a kind of frosting filling and top that is so good.  How often do you treat yourself to a donut? Thankfully not too often. Every now and then one of us gals at work will make a run to the above donut shop and bring donuts for everyone. We also joke with customers at work when they need something out of the ordinary, saying "well, did you bring the donuts".  Have you ever made homemade donuts? I've made homemade apple fritters and Gluten Free Donuts. Growing up my mom and grandma made fried dough called Pizza Fritte and occasionally we would just use refrigerator biscuits, make holes in the middle and fry, like we did here. Though now I try to stay away from certain processed foods, so if I did those I'd either make my own dough or buy an organic biscuit dough...not ideal, but probably better. There also seem to be a lot of specialty donut shops popping up all over. We visited one in Mystic, Ct that had some really good options. It was called, Young Buns. I had one of their signature streusal donuts and then a sampling of their donut holes in different flavors. Here in our area, Voodoo Donuts is very popular, though I personally like the little shop I mentioned above much better. Fun story: A guy came into work last week to ship something. I was finding a box and asked who the return address should be from. He said "Voodoo Donuts"....I paused, looked at him and said, "and you came in here without any donuts?"...we laughed and he promised he'd bring some another time...his wife came in and said something to him, to which I said, "but he didn't come in with any donuts"...she laughed and said "Oh, I'll be sure he brings some because then he'll stop bringing them home.". 

4. How do you feel about shopping? Ugghh...well, first, it's a love/hate relationship to be honest. Especially clothes shopping. I struggle sometimes to find things that fit the way I want them to, things that are in my budget, and things I can actually try on. I love grocery shopping. I enjoy window shopping. I do like shopping for home things. Are you an online shopper? I do shop online for quite a few things, and I'll admit I do buy a lot on Amazon. Mostly supplements, books for book club, etc. I have bought a few clothing items with fairly good success. Catalog shopper? I haven't shopped from a catalog in years.  Brick and mortar shopper? I will also go to brick and mortar. I enjoy supporting local businesses when I can. Do you order groceries online or prefer to select items with your own two hands? It depends on what it is. At times I will do grocery pickups if it's not my big shopping trip, because there are certain things I want to pick out myself. 

5. Next week's Hodgepodge finds us somehow in the month of April, which just so happens to be National Poetry Month. Sum up (or tell us something about) your month of March in the form of a limerick. You can do it!! Well, let's see what I can come up with: 

March came in like a lion, 

The lack of spring weather found some of us cryin'

We experienced warm weather

Then had to put on a sweater,

Because winter it just kept a tryin'


6. Insert your own random thought here. It's Tuesday as I type this...I now have Tuesdays off as well as Wednesday. It's a day that is set aside to do whatever I want or need to do. I'm still getting used to it and trying to find a good groove. Wednesdays I babysit my grandkids and I love it, but it's a full day so it doesn't leave room for anything else. So Tuesdays are my day. I can do absolutely nothing, or I can get a list of things accomplished, or a combination of both. 

My thoughts are on the recent shooting, and coming to terms with how I feel about all the opinions being thrown out there. Figuring out where I land on things. Right now my heart just hurts for the family's and the city and the world. I'm tired of all the finger pointing with nothing ever being accomplished. 

It's now Wednesday morning and I'm up at 5:00 as usual, but no workout this morning I'm going to finish this post and get some online work done (I'm also a virtual assistant aside from my regular job). I had a work meeting last night that went longer than I thought. It was good, but I came home and basically went right to bed. Babysitting the grandkids today and I'm hoping the rain holds off for a little bit at least. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. I've seen Voodoo doughnuts! I think we went into one when we were in Texas. And I totally agree that people just point fingers and don't do anything. If they really did care about the kids, they would have found a way to up school security already, instead of sending billions to the proxy war in Ukraine. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEs, they have them in a few other places now too. I agree with you about the last part of your comment.

      Delete
  2. We were at a wedding near Portland Oregon and instead of wedding cake they had voodoo donuts. That was fun. I'm not a fan of shopping for jeans, slacks. Ugh. Hope you have a fun day with your grands!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your limerick and it is accurate for our weather too. we are back and forth it seems.

    My heart is sad about the shooting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your limerick writing!! The weather is crazy here in middle Alabama. It has been really warm and then today . . .I had to wear a jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world is just so hard right now. I think we all struggle to make sense of the senseless. Your limerick was good. We are having some actual spring weather currently with mild temps, sunny skies, low humidity, and of course plenty of pollen which I could give a miss, but you gotta take the good with the bad I guess. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is hard and I think it will continue to be so. :( I'm hoping spring weather shows up soon

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    Carla from the River here, I like your limerick. Well done. :-)
    I also enjoy grocery shopping.
    Happy Spring,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your limerick would apply very well here too! While we have never made donuts my mom and memere did make some fried dough triangle things one year that my mom remembered from her childhood. They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried dough is just plain good....lol! In moderation of course.

      Delete
  8. I can really identify with your answer to question one. As for donuts.....not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading all of your answers. These shootings need to stop. Our country is in a very sad place. Glad you have those days off and that you babysit on Wednesdays. Hope you have a nice Friday night and a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts