Taking in Life Around Me.....#Sundaystills....Color Challenge: Cobalt Blue



This #sundaystills challenge is hosted by Terri from Second Wind LeisureIt's a great themed photography challenge that you'll enjoy. I love seeing the other participants interpretation of the theme each week...it causes me to think outside the box. I joined in hopes of it pushing me to get out and take more photos...I have to some degree, but I also like that Terri is okay with us finding photos in our archives, which is also a lot of fun. So check out my photos and then head over to Terri's page to participate or visit other's posts. There are some awesome contributors who always inspire me. 

This weeks theme, and the last one of 2022 is a color challenge, and the color is cobalt blue. Cobalt Blue is a deep blue pigment containing cobalt and aluminum oxides. It seems that there is a variety of shades of cobalt blue, though when I hear it, I think of deep rich blues. My mom had a collection of antique glass that was a beautiful cobalt blue. It's not necessarily a color I tend to be drawn to, though I love it in nature. 

On one of our trips to Florida, this one in December, we were able to see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. It started at Disney in 1995 and sadly closed in 2016, but I believe the family donated most of the lights to a charity who uses the lights for their own festival. There is definitely some cobalt blue in there wouldn't you say. 
The NYC skyline at night from the New Jersey shore (Hoboken). We were there close to the 4th of July so the empire state building was lit up in red, white and blue. 

Instead of going to the top of the Empire State Building, we opted to go to the top of the Rockefeller Center tower so that we could "SEE" the Empire State Building all lit up. From up there, looking out over the city, we said "wow, we feel like we've walked so much, and we did, but we didn't even make a dent in this city."

The beautiful sky in Venice! We were blessed with such amazing weather during our trip. 

Do you spy the cobalt blue in the painting above. On the front of St. Marks Bassilica. 
Libreria Acqua Alta is such a unique store in Venice. It is self proclaimed to be "the most beautiful bookstore in the world". There are books everywhere, and when the store floods, many of the books become part of the decor. Because it floods often, most of the books are kept in boots and bathtubs which makes the store even more unique. The store means "Book Store of High Water". Plenty of cobalt blue. 


I spied a bit of cobalt in this little shop in Venice. 


This is called "the eye to sky" in the "city lounge" at the Messeplatz in Basel, Switzerland. Definitely a cobalt blue sky.
Beautiful blue puget sound! On our way to Orcas Island! 

These clam shells, above and below were in Plymouth, Mass. Here is some information on them. I wish we had more time, because I would have totally gone on a hunt for all of them. While we were there, we saw this town spelled two ways...Plymouth, but also Plimouth. Apparently with the "i" is an old fashioned spelling used by Govenor William Bradford. The town itself is spelled Plymouth, but the living museum uses the spelling with the "i". 

While at Fort Vancouver, Marsha, Terri and I spotted some blue items. I loved these gorgeous dishes and do you spy some cobalt blue on those shelves in the bottom photo. 

Thanks for joining me this week. I'm watching grandkids all next week so I'm kind of glad there's not a challenge next week. I'll see you all next year!

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Wow, Kirstin, your blue willow dishes at Ft Vancouver came out so well. I almost shared mine again but I locked myself into my own subtheme, LOL! Your trips to NYC and Venice really paid off in terms of finding shots with cobalt blue in them. I really like the shot of the Empire State Building at 4th of July presiding over the cobalt harbor! Enjoy your grandkids next week and hopefully you can join me on Jan 1st as we look back on 2022! Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great selection! Puget Sound looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts