Weekend Coffee Share.....Come Sit with Me
It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try.
If we were having coffee we'd probably talk about:
I would mention first that I seem to be in a habit lately of being almost a week behind in my commenting on everyones posts. Sorry about that. I am still trying to find a way to balance it all...commenting on other people's posts is important to me because I know you put time and energy into them and I want to visit and comment. I don't always get to everyone, but I try.
The weather: As is typical with spring, the weather is off and on. We can have days of wind and rain, and days of sunshine and warmth. You just have to be prepared day to day for whatever that day may bring. This weekend has been beautiful so far. I love it.
What we're thinking about: You might remember last week I mentioned a customer who was upset. Well, on Tuesday afternoon, we had a situation where a package did not get delivered when it should have (which, once it leaves our building, is out of our control), I was talking to the customer on the phone, trying to problem solve but she was so upset and just angry that nothing I said was helping. At this point, I'm tired, I'm kind of losing my control emotionally because well, I don't like to get yelled at. I don't like conflict. I was the one who originally helped with the package so I felt a bit responsible even though I know I did everything right. I'm an Enneagram 9 (peacemaker) when I take the tests, my score for 2 (the helper) and 6(loyalist) are right on 9's coat tails. Anyways. By the time I hung up the phone telling her I'd get in touch with UPS and send her a text, I was in tears. Uggh. I let my boss know the update since she had dealt with her earlier. The next morning I called UPS again and unfortunately was misinformed the night before about where the package would be. So I let my boss know. I was off so couldn't do more. Long story short, it all worked out. The package was able to be intercepted, the lady apologized for the way she treated all of us. But here's the thing it comes back to...we don't know what people are going through, and they may have reached a boiling or breaking point and we were the recipient of that boiling over or break. Yes, some people are just plain mean and rude, but I have had interaction with this particular person before in other things and she was always nice. She is going through some hard things right now, and just was overwhelmed.
What we're thinking about: You might remember last week I mentioned a customer who was upset. Well, on Tuesday afternoon, we had a situation where a package did not get delivered when it should have (which, once it leaves our building, is out of our control), I was talking to the customer on the phone, trying to problem solve but she was so upset and just angry that nothing I said was helping. At this point, I'm tired, I'm kind of losing my control emotionally because well, I don't like to get yelled at. I don't like conflict. I was the one who originally helped with the package so I felt a bit responsible even though I know I did everything right. I'm an Enneagram 9 (peacemaker) when I take the tests, my score for 2 (the helper) and 6(loyalist) are right on 9's coat tails. Anyways. By the time I hung up the phone telling her I'd get in touch with UPS and send her a text, I was in tears. Uggh. I let my boss know the update since she had dealt with her earlier. The next morning I called UPS again and unfortunately was misinformed the night before about where the package would be. So I let my boss know. I was off so couldn't do more. Long story short, it all worked out. The package was able to be intercepted, the lady apologized for the way she treated all of us. But here's the thing it comes back to...we don't know what people are going through, and they may have reached a boiling or breaking point and we were the recipient of that boiling over or break. Yes, some people are just plain mean and rude, but I have had interaction with this particular person before in other things and she was always nice. She is going through some hard things right now, and just was overwhelmed.
What we're thankful for: Opportunities to evaluate myself. Regarding the above situation, it caused me to pause, look back and think, "what can I learn from this, both professionally, but mostly personally. I know that I don't like conflict and don't do well with confrontation. I don't like feeling backed into a corner, and I certainly don't like the thought that someone doesn't like me...haha. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone will. Typically when I'm faced with confrontation or conflict I freeze a little in my brain, I don't know how to respond, I usually end up fumbling my thoughts and either blab something that doesn't make sense, or I shove it all inside and don't say anything. I go more into flight mode, I get emotional. So these situations whether in a professional setting (which are rare and usually mild enough that I can handle it) or personally give me a chance to evaluate and look for ways to grow. I think the breaking point for me is when I feel like my character and who I am as a person is being attacked, especially by people who don't know me well, who don't or haven't taken time to know the person I am.
Lots to ponder. I know much of this stems from childhood circumstances and some insecurities. While I hate when these things arise, I'll welcome the opportunity to learn and hopefully grow.
Lots to ponder. I know much of this stems from childhood circumstances and some insecurities. While I hate when these things arise, I'll welcome the opportunity to learn and hopefully grow.
What we're reading or want to read: I've read two more e-books. The Inn at Ocean's Edge by Colleen Coble, and Nothing to Fear by Claire Boston. They were both good. Both are part of a series. I'm trying to decide what e-book to read next. I'm also trying to finish my book Green Lights by Matthew McConaughey. I'm not finished with our book club book yet.
Around the house: Today I did a last minute cleaning of the cupboards in the addition, and tomorrow I might start moving some things over. We picked up our chairs, but need to return one because there are a few defects (we should've checked before we left). Then we bought a bedroom set, a console table and two end tables. Not sure when we will get those, they had to be ordered.
Not the greatest picture, but these are the chairs, end table and couch. Along that white wall will be the console table when we get it. I hope to put some decorative shelves on the shiplap wall. We also need to get a few small footstools. I love our gas stove.
I spent time filing receipts that had piled up and creating folders for our new appliances. I need to read the manuals for the stove and oven before I use them. Mostly for the oven. I was thinking at the end of February we'd be over there but it hasn't happened so now I'm shooting for the end of March. I'm struggling with motivation.
From the kitchen: Last Sunday I made a loaf of roasted garlic sourdough. It was so good! One loaf of any homemade bread rarely lasts more than 2 days. My daughter and her friend made BLT's for their meal (I'm trying to get them to make one dinner a week). I love a good BLT. The next night everyone but Kevin and I were gone so we just did bun-less burgers. Nothing new coming out of the kitchen. I would love to make a new recipe at least every other week. I also think it would be fun to find a cookbook and cook my way through it. I would totally do it, but Kevin prefers to eat certain things, and struggles with self control so I'm not sure I'll ever actually do that even though it sounds fun.
Favorite Quote: This weeks theme for #WQW was Women in History. Here were a few of my favorite quotes I share. Here's a link to my post. I felt these were great food for thought.
What we've watched or listened to: Last weekend I watched the opening MLS game for the Portland Timbers. I love soccer. I also watched several episodes of Magnolia Table and a new show on the Magnolia Network called In With the Old which highlights people buying old buildings and renovating them. My favorite was an old mercantile turned into a home. I only watched two episodes but I loved that one.
Favorite photo from the week:
My spring flowers (I don't have many) are blooming. I just love them.
My two amazing girls. They are in a little town called Seabrook. My youngest daughter turns 23 on Monday and she, her sister and some other girlfriends went there for a birthday weekend. She likes to go away and celebrate with friends. We will do a birthday dinner tomorrow when she comes home.
Pepper went with her mommy to the girls weekend, Indiana stayed home with daddy so naturally they took his little Stacyc bike to the track to ride. He did a great job!
My two amazing girls. They are in a little town called Seabrook. My youngest daughter turns 23 on Monday and she, her sister and some other girlfriends went there for a birthday weekend. She likes to go away and celebrate with friends. We will do a birthday dinner tomorrow when she comes home.
Pepper went with her mommy to the girls weekend, Indiana stayed home with daddy so naturally they took his little Stacyc bike to the track to ride. He did a great job!
Random Thoughts: It always seems to take me forever to finish my posts. So now it's Sunday. I am heading out soon for a walk with my husband...we walk the hills by our house so it feels more like a hike for part of it...haha. I've been struggling with some physical things the last year (nothing major) but it has caused my fitness level to drop down and weight to go up a bit (sucks how that happens so quickly the older we get). It has been frustrating because I was really happy with how strong I was feeling etc.
Then it will be off to grocery shop and home to make a birthday cake. The birthday girl always requests Peanut Butter Pound Cake. It's amazing. I think I'll also make some vegan cupcakes because the grandies (as Leanne calls them) cannot have dairy. I have a great recipe for Vegan chocolate cake. I'll share all the recipes next week.
Have a great week everyone.
Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare
Kirstin


Kirstin, I hope you've had a nice walk with your husband, a wonderful birthday celebration for your daughter, and a much better work week ahead. Thank you for linking up with #weekendcoffeeshare.
ReplyDeleteThank you Natalie...it was a hard walk. But it was worth it.
DeleteHi Kirstin - I can definitely relate to not coping with other people's anger when I feel like it's directed at me. I think it relates back to my childhood too - and I'm such a people pleaser, so I hate it when I can't solve their problem or agree with what they want. Retiring has released me from a lot of that (I used to be a receptionist and frontline for all the issues that came in the door) now I just get to enjoy the peace and serenity of only dealing with people I like.
ReplyDeleteI agree...I think a lot of mine is from childhood and my people pleasing nature. Oh, yes, I was a receptionist once and boy do you get the brunt of everyone's frustration.
DeleteYou shouldn't take it to heart if someone yells and scolds on the phone. Put the receiver on its side and wait until she runs out of breath. Some people just need to yell to get the pressure out of them !
ReplyDeleteI always try to solve problems with humor and make people laugh, sometimes it works, sometimes not, I think I am like I am, take me like I am or leae me alone !
Haha...yes, that would have been a great idea. Too bad I hadn't thought about it.
DeleteI try so hard to never yell at anyone on the phone because I do realize that the person answering on the other end is usually not the one to blame but it can be tough when I feel so frustrated. I hope you have a much better week this week. It's hard not to take things personally and not just react in the moment. I used to just shut down but I have learned to speak up more and articulate my thoughts a bit better. On the plus side the new furniture looks great!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Joanne! I'm learning to not take things too personally and shut down. Not always easy though.
Delete