#WQW....Theme: Women in History



It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQWWC here.

This weeks theme is Women in History...I'm telling you, I am terrible with remembering special days, months, etc. I will admit I don't often pay a whole lot of attention to these "months"....other than reading stories or quotes I might see on social media. It's not because I don't care, I don't really know why. Maybe I feel like these things should be celebrated daily. I don't know, but here it is, so let's take a look at it. 

There are so many amazing women in my life, those who have passed away but are always here in thought and who live on in those they left behind, and those who are still here with us, both family and friends. I have raised two daughters who I hope I raised to be powerful, confident women. I have a granddaughter who has "loud" voice, who I hope walks into her ability to use her voice to make a difference in the lives of those around her. 

So what is Women's History Month? According to Today.com it is a time to reflect on the courage of women in past generations and to celebrate how their efforts and bravery afforded women the opportunities and freedoms they have today. 

Fox 35 Orlando says that the theme of this year which is set by the National Women's History Alliance is "providing healing, promoting hope."



"Empowered Women, Empower Women!"

I saw the above quote first on a shirt in a juice bar I go to. I loved it! When we feel empowered, we can easily empower other women and might I say without comparison. 


That is some good food for thought. I truly believe that our thoughts influence so much of our lives and if we start to believe the lies that we are not powerful, that we don't hold any power, then more often than not, that is what ultimately takes the power away. The other day when I was babysitting, my grandson (3 1/2) said "Jesus is powerful". I said yes he is. Then he kept going, saying "I'm powerful, Pepper's powerful, you're powerful"....etc. Yes, this is women's history month, but it's also important to raise little boys to believe that the women in their lives are powerful and valued and that they themselves feel that way too. Maybe the reason I sometimes have a problem with some movements or "days, months" is that often they focus on making the opposite seem "small, less valued" as well. I'm not about that.

My oldest daughters wedding day with my grandma and two of my aunts. 



Aah there is some truth to this quote. I love the movie Princess Diaries (in fact I think I'll watch it this weekend) and seeing this young woman blossom into something so out of her comfort zone she had to be brave. The subsequent movies show her becoming bold even amidst her fears and standing up for herself and challenging the ideas of "it's always been this way". 

"As for my girls I'll raise them to think they breathe fire"~Jessica Kirkland

This one above, really jumped out at me. I certainly want this for my daughters, my granddaughters...not a fire that is destructive, but a fire that purges, that purifies, that brings hope, that sets people on fire to their purposes. 

I love old photos and these are so wonderful...to get just a taste of history. Above is my grandpas family and below is my great grandma on my grandmas side. 



We must stop giving people permission to make us feel inferior. We need to put up boundaries, we need to be confident in who we are. 

My mother in law is an amazing woman and I love having her in my life and hearing her amazing stories. 



Yes...I believe that everything we do has impact, makes a difference. We just have to decide if it will be positive or negative. 

"Admire someone else's beauty without questioning your own"

This can be so hard as women. I find myself doing this here and there recently as changes in my body happen, as I've let me hair go silver, if I'm feeling a bit "bleh", I find myself comparing, questioning myself, feeling less than. What's important is what we do with that...do I do something to turn how I feel around. 
My mom was one of the best. Not a day goes by that I don't wish she was here. 


YES! I can be a strong woman and still be fully woman because I believe that we were designed to be different, unique from men. It's okay with me if there are things I just can't do or handle because I'm not a man. 



Generations of hands. My daughter, me, my grandma (moms mom) and my mother in law. 




This is one of my favorite songs and reminds so much of the women in my life, past and present. 

The young women I've had the privilege to raise and a little one I get to help raise. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. This will be a treasure for your family one day long into the future. They will love your blog with all of the ideas you have shared. They will have confidence knowing who they are and what you all were like inside. Your song says it all as well as your lovely narrative and quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very meaningful post. So much to say. I agree with you when you say 'days' or 'months' that celebrate one thing, can sometimes feel like it makes the opposite seem more inferior. I think once we celebrate the day without comparing, it's different. Wow...that song. The Women I Come From. I haven't heard it before. It's powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts