#WQWWC.....July 7th Theme....Writers Choice (or Culture)

It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQWWC here. 

I decided to go with the thought of culture, since I've been very fascinated with the Italian culture over the last year. My moms side of the family is Italian-American and so I've always had an interest and love for all things Italian, but it's really been in the last year that it has been sparked more. I also love learning about other cultures. 



Culture is defined as:
         *the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group. 
         *the characteristics and knowledge of a particular group of people, encompassing language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music, and arts..
         *the way of life of groups of people, meaning the way they do things, their behaviors, beliefs, values and symbols that they accept. 
         
The term "culture" is also used in the medical field,  and we've recently been hearing the terms cancel culture and woke culture, but I won't go "there" with those terms. 

My favorite "Culture" Quotes........

"Culture opens the sense of beauty"  
Ralph Waldo Emerson




"Cultural differences should not separate us from each other, but rather cultural diversity brings a collective strength that can benefit all of humanity" Robert Alan


We can learn so much from other cultures, even within our own US of A! Go to the south and you will find a different culture than in my own PNW, which I think is awesome. I live in a community where there are many hispanic and Russian families. I've traveled to Italy, Switzerland and Mexico. I have dreams to travel more places, and one thing I've always done when traveling anywhere is to learn about the area I'm visiting. Their customs, dos and don'ts, etc. Places we want to visit when we're there. Even within the United States. I want to learn. 

Because of my moms family's background, and our trip to visit Italy in 2019 I've been reading more, following a few people on IG and it's been so fun to learn more about that culture, and the culture that the Italian people who chose to come to America lived out. My husbands mom is Swiss (her parents came over from Switzerland just before she was born). My fathers family is Slavik, and my father in law comes from a Mennonite background. So much to learn about. I shared this post for a weekend coffee share about family traditions complete with many pictures of my moms family. 

The above quotes, I feel, speak their meaning with no further explanation needed. They're beautiful and so much of what I feel. I always want to embrace other cultures, learn about them and from them. Explore them more. Have more dialogues, immerse ourselves in them. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. It seems most Americans have family trees that consist of immigrants from Europe and other countries. I'm sure your Italian heritage has a rich history behind it, and how cool you got to visit in 2019. My family tree is full of Scotch-Irish and I have yet to travel there, but some day! It's wonderful to embrace culture even if it created locally. Glad you could link up, Kirstin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby has been to ireland and said it is stunning. I'd love to visit there. I'd love to go back to Italy and visit areas where my family is from

      Delete
  2. I love all your quotes and your thoughts about multi-cultural diversity. My husband is Italian on both sides. My heritage is more mixed northern European, mostly English, but Scotch-Irish and German are blended in there pre-1600s. I'm an American mutt. :) Thanks for joining in with Terri this week. She's been a doll to host for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...we always call anyone with many backgrounds, heinz 57...I don't know why.

      Delete
  3. I love all your quotes and your thoughts about multi-cultural diversity. My husband is Italian on both sides. My heritage is more mixed northern European, mostly English, but Scotch-Irish and German are blended in there pre-1600s. I'm an American mutt. :) Thanks for joining in with Terri this week. She's been a doll to host for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great theme! Learning the culture of the places we visit is so awarding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts