Weekend Coffee Share.....Family Traditions


Every now and then I grow nostalgic for things of the past. For simpler times, or what I think might be simpler times, but were they really?. I think in some ways yes, and others, maybe not so much. 

I think if you and I were having coffee this weekend I'd want to talk about family, history, traditions. Every one of our family's all have a history(where we came from), what life was like for those before us, stories to be heard and told, traditions to pass on. It's all there, somewhere, even if we have to dig deep to find them. And, to be honest, my day to day life isn't all that exciting, at least not enough to talk about every week. We could catch up on our weeks, but it wouldn't take too long. 

I might ask you what your nationality is. My moms side of the family is Italian, my dads side Slavik. My husbands mom is Swiss and his dad is Heinz 57, he was raised in Indiana and his family was mennonite. Though these family's didn't stick with marrying within their "nationality or ethnicity" some traditions were passed down from generations. I always wished the Italian language was passed down to the younger generations. It seems to me that often, when family's  immigrated, they wanted to become American, and somewhere down the line, the traditions stopped. 

I'd ask you what traditions were passed down from generation to generation. Was it a recipe? I might ask you to share one with me because I love trying new recipes. A language? A skill? Stories? What is your favorite? Is everything you know from photos or journals? Maybe we'd talk about the history of the town you grew up in or where you live right now. That always interests me too.

While I've always been a lover of old photos, stories, history, etc. it seems that in the last year, I've become a little more interested. Maybe it was our trip to Switzerland and Italy that started it. You can search the blog for those posts. When I came home, I found a few awesome gals (a mother and daughter) who have fun IG pages of their life in Italy. When I visited Hoboken, NJ a few years ago, a fellow blogger said "you need to read the book "The lost ravioli recipe of Hoboken"...I immediately bought it for my Kindle and enjoyed reading it so much. Maybe it was losing my grandma (my moms mom and my last living grandparent...my mom also passed away 17 years ago) last year, knowing I was going to miss her stories. Or maybe it was my last trip to visit her in Florida and going through old photos and letters, many in Italian (that great grandparents had written) that spurred it in me. My dads side of the family wasn't very close and I don't have many memories of them or what might have been passed down. That makes me sad. I would have loved to have known traditions from that side as well. Or maybe it's everything that has gone on in the last few years with racism and immigration that has caused me to think about history that I've overlooked, that has made me want to learn and understand more. 

While I don't always think every tradition needs to be passed down (I wrote a variety of posts on traditions...find them here), I do feel like it's good to evaluate which we want to keep and pass on, and maybe we come up with new ones to pass on to our children, or maybe we alter an old one to fit our lives better. Even if we no longer celebrate a certain tradition, I still love to share stories about those traditions. 

So if we were having coffee this weekend, we'd talk about these things, maybe even talk about some good books or IG or Facebook pages we follow that center around life in countries where our family's originated. 

Enjoy some old family photos....

On one of my Grandmas visits, we made homemade ravioli! Such a fun time and memory.

Many family members owned/worked in a local small grocery store. 
My great grandpas family on my moms side. 
Just one side of a large Italian family.
My dads father. He and his brother in law and father in law owned an auto parts store. I do remember loving to go there. In college I actually worked at a Napa auto part distribution center. 
A relatives kitchen. I love this photo...it screams "familia"!
I don't know who these two are, but I love the photo
When my grandma passed away last year, my girls and I got together and made "pizza fritte" in her honor. Fried dough dipped in sugar. 
The Tarantella, a traditional italian dance. That is my mom and her dad dancing it at my wedding. 
My youngest making Cannoli! 
I did find this article...it was a 5th generation article about my great great grandmother on her 95th birthday. I am in the photo on my dads lap.
My Bapas (moms dad) parents on right. I'm not sure who's on the left.

My Bapas (moms dad) parents on left, my Ma's (moms mom) parents on right

Written in Italian. Loved finding that. 


I'd love to know any traditions or something of interest about your heritage that you'd like to share. I've never done family trees, or the "DNA" tests, but they intrigue me. 


Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. What great photos!! I've become the family curator, as only one other of my siblings (out of 5) care anything for our family history.. My dad was 100% Hungarian and my mom 100% Polish.. I do have some old photos but unfortunately no traditions or recipes that have been passed down. I cherish what pics and stories I have though.. Thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome Kathleen....though sad when no one else takes an interest. I wish i knew more stories behind so many photos I have. When I visited in 2019 we would all sit around the table, look at photos, etc...and my grandma and aunts and uncle would try and remember things. I LOVED that so much.

      Delete
  2. Kirstin, So great that you've kept records, old photos and family recipes. The news article and hand-written notes in Italian are extra-special. My maternal grandfather kept a handwritten booklet of the family tree up until he passed away. My mom gave it to me. Thank you for linking with #WeekendCoffeeShare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat. I'm not sure if anyone in our family has done a family tree... I need to find out.

      Delete
  3. You certainly have some great family photos dating back over the decades. We're Australian in my family (and my husband's) and go back a few generations - with England and Scotland being the original points of origin. Family traditions aren't really a thing for us, but my father was a very serious collector of militaria and "collectables" and both my brothers have followed in him in this area - so maybe they'll start their own traditions. I'm too much of a minimalist to ever become a collector - although my Pinterest page is chock full - so maybe I'm a virtual collector?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yes a virtual collector. I think if "collections" were in my family, I'd find a way to do it minimally....because I'm not about a lot of clutter. I had one grandma that you could have opened an antique shop right in her house. So much stuff. My other grandma had a few special things. One grandpa collected stamps and nutcrackers. I used to have my own stamp collection with him and that was so fun.

      Delete
  4. I married an Italian and adore his family traditions - mostly surrounding food :) I recently dipped my toe into the Genealogy waters and discovered a new passion. I love the research. It is like finding little pieces of the family puzzle. Soon I will begin writing the family story - and sharing those traditions for the next generation to appreciate.
    Greetings from #weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome Molly....maybe I'll end up being the one who does the research...hmmm...and how fun to marry an Italian.

      Delete
  5. I think as we are getting to be more and more of a digital society, I'm finding these posts with actual pictures (printed pictures) all the more comforting. I have an insta-friend who has been sharing photos of her family and I just love seeing them. My family is in TN (and I'm in PA) and I have it on my list that the next time I visit them, I need to go through the old family photos! Thanks for sharing these photos and your thoughts. What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree...I LOVE looking at old photos. So much history.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts