Weekend Coffee Share....Come Sit with Me


The Weather: 
I'll let the following photo say it all. I'll just add that we aren't used to this. I've noticed at work that people are coming more in the morning and dwindling in the afternoon. Today is supposed to be in the upper 80's. Monday will NOT be a happy day at work. Today was barely a happy day at work. We don't have AC...we have a small wall unit, a stand up unit and a few fans, but our building is small and the doors are always opening and closing. By the end of the day you don't even know it's working unless you are right in front of them. 


What I'm thinking about: The gift of life and how fragile it is. Without going into detail, a friend of our daughters went in for a procedure and at one point she stopped breathing and her heart stopped. It was touch and go and you come to a place of thinking, "wait a minute, if this doesn't turn around, we will not see her again, she will not walk through our doors anymore". Thankfully it turned around and it seems she is doing good. 

We do not know how long we have on this earth, sometimes we take risks for someone else that might not end well for us or them, but we do it anyways because we love them. It makes me realize so much how we need to love those around us...to forgive, even if we still need to have boundaries, holding on to hurt and bitterness isn't good, not for us and not for anyone else. To make time for them, to let them know they're important.

What I'm thankful for: 


What I'm reading or have read: 

Around the house: Dry wall is starting to go in. I can't wait to see how it all looks when it's done. I'm a very visual person so sometimes it's hard for me to "see" what something will look like when all I see is a shell. 


This is in the main room...which is open kitchen, sitting area. I love how those ceilings are going to look. There are A LOT of light switches...haha...which I'm going to have to memorize what they go to. Our dry waller is someone my husband uses through his company, and he is deaf. I definitely wish I knew sign language, but he does great communicating, and really often uses his phone for more detailed conversations. 

What I'm learning: I really need to work better on my time management. There are a lot of squirrels running around and I'm realizing that if I could just stay focused on the task at hand it would work out better and I'd probably get more accomplished. 

What are your best time management tips?

From the kitchen: I had planned to make some homemade Twix bars (new recipe) last Wednesday but realized I didn't have the ingredients for everything so I think they will go on my list for next week. I kept it simple this week for dinners. My hubby had weird schedules with work, with a few lunches and dinners out, and my daughter and her friend weren't home a few nights. One night I did baked potatoes in the Instant Pot with steamed broccoli and a vegan cheese sauce. Another night we did spicy shrimp over creamy cauliflower rice and one night we did a keto feta burger with a creamy tomato sauce over mashed potatoes and salad. That was a new recipe but really good and simple. I had leftovers, put them in a container, then got side tracked and forgot to put them in the fridge. Found them on the counter the next morning. I was so bummed. 

Favorite Quote from the week: 


I love participating in Writers Quote Wednesday Writer's Challenge, hosted by Marsha Ingrao. Here's my post from last week on Vacations. I think this above quote is so true! I'd love to know what you enjoy about vacations or where you like to go? Do you think this quote is true?

What I listened to: One of the things I love most is to listen to and talk to little kids. They are just the absolute best. So I enjoyed taking times to just sit and listen to my grandson chatter. To listen to how his wheels turn as he thinks about things, tries to explain things. I love how he always says "try", "let's go check". He's often not content with a simple "no"...he wants to know why, he wants to try or wants you to try. I love that about him. Take time to listen to EVERYONE...even those you have to bend down a bit to hear, and make them feel like what they have to say is important.

Random Happenings: I went back to the dentist Tuesday to get two permanent crowns put on...one was great, the other, which they already sent back once, they weren't happy with so it's going back to be redone again. Have I mentioned I don't like going to the dentist or having my teeth worked on. So I have to go back next week and let's hope this time it fits right. 

My photography meetup got rescheduled due to high temps and not enough sign ups. I'm bummed, but will try and go to the next one. 

Saturday we are meeting friends for breakfast. I'm really looking forward to that. 

The youth group my daughters are leaders of/in begins their 4th of July fireworks fundraiser. When we were youth pastors we ran fireworks fundraisers for over 20 years. It's fun to see our girls continue doing something we all loved and lived for even though by the end of the week we were exhausted. We literally were there from 8 in the morning until 10 or 11 at night for 7 days. We had a blast! It was always worth it and the BEST fundraiser. 

Photo of the Week: 

I took a drive last week down to what we call the bottoms...the area of our town along the Columbia and Lewis Rivers. It has mostly consisted of farmland. 


Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. A great update Kirstin, those are high temperatures!! We are in winter so I am drooling over your heatwave. In regards to your thoughts on listening, I watched an author interview last week and he said the kindest thing we can do for anyone is to listen to them. His book is The Kindness Revolution and this point really hit home for me. Visiting from #weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Deb. I need to look up that book, it sounds good.

      Delete
  2. Kirstin, I heard about the heat wave on the west coast. Stay safe and well. My time management tip is to focus and do the task that I deem most important first. Thank you for linking with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! No fun at all. Ugghh. Thanks for the tip...I definitely need to get more focused.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun filled week! OMG homemade Twix bars? Do tell.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how they turn out. I think I'll try making them Wednesday

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! Winter here and looks like we are going to be hit with an icy blast from Antarctica tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always forget we have opposite seasons. I wouldn't mind an icy blast the last few days. Yikes!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kirstin - a fireworks fundraiser sounds really fun. We ran church youth groups for many, many years and there are no fireworks here in Australia (except the professionally put on ones) so we never got to try something like that. Love the progress with the roof and walls (and all that insulation will make things very comfortable when it's finished). We're in Winter here and, although it's really chilly in the mornings, I don't envy you those 100+ degree days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was unbearable until I got home into my air conditioned home. Phew. it reached 112. Not known in these parts. It is thankfully cooling down, today should be 90 and it will probably feel so much better. haha. Have a great week Leanne.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts