Weekend Coffee Share...çome sit with me.




The weather: As usual, our weather is weird. We had a nice day last Saturday, then it rained a few days, was nice yesterday and rainy and windy again today. BUT we are supposed to be in the 80’s this weekend which will be nice. We are hoping to spend some time outdoors.


 What I'm thinking about: Life, and the journey of life, and creating memories, and experiences, and things that will last. I'm thinking about humanity and how sometimes we can see the best of humanity and sometimes we see the worst. But we get to decide what we give attention to. I'm thinking about how most organizations of any kind always have an agenda, even if they say or think they don't. I'm thinking I should go start the car and get ready to leave for work. 


What I'm thankful for: Being Memorial Day weekend, I'm taking time to be thankful for those who have literally given their lives for our freedom (though many might be sad by what that looks like currently). I'm thankful for those who made it home. I have had many family members serve in the Armed Forces, thankfully they all returned. Most recent (though quite a few years ago), my cousin pictured in the next 3 photos. He sadly has lost many of his friends in battle overseas and back home. 





What I'm reading or have read: I'm so excited. I follow a mother and daughter on instagram who live in Italy. I LOVE their accounts. The daughter recently wrote a book, however it wasn't available in the states. I just couldn't wait for it to come to the states, so I did a thing and ordered it through Amazon knowing it was coming from Europe and would take FOREVER! It mailed on May 3..I patiently impatiently waited, feeling a bit of excitement every time I saw I had a package coming on my informed delivery wondering if "today is the day". Many disappointing moments. Finally it came, on Monday. I haven't had a chance to sit and read from it yet. But I CANNOT WAIT! I'm still reading the other books I mentioned last week. I'm also going to be a Beta Reader (I had to google it first) for Antoinette Truglio Martin from Stories Served Around The Table. I'm reading one of her other books and really enjoying it. 



What I'm learning: Still plugging away at my Duolingo (Italian and Spanish). I'm trying to learn to take more time just for me, to do things I enjoy doing. Reading, browsing a thrift store, not rushing through cooking or baking (lately it seems I'm just rushing so it can get on the table and I'm not enjoying it as much). I'm learning that it's not lazy to go sit in the hammock or on the porch and relax for awhile. It's funny how we don't think that about others, but we do when it's us doing it. 


I finished the dresser, but still need to do a few things before I post a picture. I think it turned out fine. The lighting I was painting it in wasn't that great. Overall though it looks good. It was a learning project and whether it stays this way or I sand it down we will see. 


From the kitchen: I did not make the angel food cake that I mentioned last week, but I did eat that Crack Chicken til it was gone...haha. My hubby and youngest daughter were on a trip so it was just me. Saturday I made this BBQ Beans and Sausage dish for a potluck I had here at the house, and also these Strawberry Lemon Cookie Bars. I need to make a menu for next week. I just took photos for these this weekend, so I need to update the posts. 




Do you have any good recipes you love that I should try? 



Favorite quote from the week: 




Around the house: We are still picking out flooring and cabinet colors, and tile for the other part of our house. I didn't plant my containers like I wanted to. My plan was to do it Sunday, but it rained hard all day. The potluck with friends was fun. I'm thinking maybe this weekend I'll get around to cleaning out the closet I mentioned last week, and going through the house to see what I can sell at a garage sale we'll be having next weekend. My oldest daughter has been coming to the house for a few hours each week and doing some cleaning for us. Gives her some money and gets things done that I haven't taken time to do.


Anything new around your house? 


What I've listened to: Last week I was watching an IG story and the gal was talking about the story behind the Siete Foods chips she was eating. I had heard of this brand and her story was fascinating, so I, of course, googled their website, read all about them, found there was an interview they had done on the Podcast "How I Built this with Guy Raz" and listened to it. It was so good. I love learning more about family owned businesses. I also watched a short video by Dave Ramsey and his daughter on the current housing market. It was interesting. 


Anything you've listened to?


Story of the week: Nothing as exciting as the goose story from last week. We tend to drive older vehicles (no car payments here). My 2002 Suzuki XL7 has needed tires for awhile, but we keep putting it off. Well, last Saturday as my father in law was leaving he came in the house and told me I had a flat tire. Ugghh. But I'm glad it didn't happen while driving or while I was at work. He came by Monday, took the tire to Les Schwab and they said it wasn't worth fixing. So now it's sitting in the driveway waiting for us to buy some used tires (because it has a full size spare, but that's not in any better condition). It's an old car, I only drive it around town, but I love it..haha. It's so comfortable. It's hard to put money into a vehicle that could die at any moment (we do take good care of our vehicles though). I'd really love to just get another car, but we're trying to finish a house so a car is not high on the priority list and because my hubby drives a work car, we do have another one I can drive. I'm definitely glad we don't have car payments or much debt, but sometimes, I dream of a newer car with bells and whistles. 


Random Happenings: Trying to decide what to do this weekend. I'll hopefully plant my containers, lunch at the in laws on Sunday. My mother-in-law tries to do a cousins lunch once a month with all of us (cousins lunch being to get our kids, and my brother in laws kids together on one day). it's a fun day. We eat, visit, play games. My nephew and his fiancee and my oldest and her hubby have babies two weeks apart so hopefully we'll get some pics. They were due on the same day but my nephews son came early. Wow, I just realized I'm a great aunt. It's also my father in laws birthday so we'll celebrate that. 


I need to grocery shop. Not looking forward to that on a holiday weekend BUT this is when payday fell so it is what it is. Hopefully will have our kids here Monday and maybe the in laws to eat and hang out. 



Random Photo of the Week: My grandson came up Sunday for a few hours and we made pizza together. He kept eating the cheese and taking bites out of the pepperoni before putting it on the pizza. We still ate it. It was just he and I so it didn't matter. I love homemade pizza. 




That's it folks. I'm enjoying getting back into blogging. Using this as a creative outlet, a journal, whatever it becomes for me. It may rarely get seen, rarely commented on, but that's okay because I enjoy going back and reading posts and maybe someday my kids and their kids will too, so I want to make it count. I want to share stories, recipes, experiences, whatever. 



Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. How lovely to catch up with you here via Natalie's #weekendcoffeeshare. I miss cooking with the grandkids! We cared for them before they started school and whilst it was exhausting at times, the memories made are always worth it. The older adult grandkids tell me what they remember and that is awesome. Denyse #weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops we have already met...sorry Kirstin!

      Delete
    2. Yes, Denyse, it is exhausting but the memories are awesome. He always wants to go on "adventures". My moms name was Denise also...Spelled differently. :) Haha..no worries..it's hard to keep up sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photo of your grandson "helping" with the pizza cooking. Glad your waiting is over for your book and I hope it turns out to be worth the anticipation. It sounds like things are coming along with the house and with that dresser - looking forward to more pics down the track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pizza-making and memory-making at the same time, Kirstin. Have a wonderful long weekend! Thank you for linking with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Natalie, It was fun making pizza and memories.

      Delete
  4. Kirstin I am so pleased you are going to be joining us for the 2021 SPSH. I've add you link to the first check in of June 30th. I cannot wait to see what you have found. I hope you enjoy the rest of your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've copied the items and even looked several times yesterday as we were out and about to see if I saw any. It will be a great way to get out and take photos again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts