The 5th of July...and a Recipe

  We did not celebrate the 4th because we were busy selling fireworks to all those last minute shoppers! Thankfully there were many! The week started slow and the weather wasn't too cooperative. It was getting a bit discouraging with sales being so much lower than last year. We had a huge setback on Friday night when our tent was robbed. We estimate about $700-1,000 worth of fireworks stolen (which come out of our pocket). So frustrating, but after we filed a report with the police, we just decided to make the best of it, laughing, "criminal profiling" all the people who had come through the tent...etc..I mean, what else could we do! We had so much fun...probably because we were so deliriously tired.
(Nan taking a break and reading, Kat and friend holding signs)
I (and my family) were thoroughly exhausted by the end of Sunday! We made it to some friends house to view the fireworks going on around, but didn't last too long. We just wanted sleep. Monday came too soon as we had to get up to finalize and return everything. While this is a long and really tiring Fundraiser, we do enjoy doing it and it is really the only fundraiser we do each year.

One of the gals who helped us during the week decided to host a BBQ on Monday the 5th for those who helped. It was so nice spending time with, well...those we had just spent a week with....but in a more relaxed setting. Everyone was responsible to bring their own meat to BBQ and then a side dish or salad to share. What a great way to host a party! The weather was great, games were played, food was heartily eaten and even the mosquito's feasted...just not on me!
(A few of the guest enjoying good food...and Root Beer, Vanilla and Orange Cream Soda)
I marinated some chicken thighs in my favorite Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce for our family to enjoy later. I decided to make two side dishes and a dessert (just in case some people forgot, and Lo and Behold some did). I brought my famous PB Pound Cake, Fumi Salad, and a Yummy BBQ Bean and Sausage dish (recipe below). 
(A little Bocce ball and a little Limbo)
I'm thankful for the people that are part of our Church Family. They are such an amazing group and we love being with them.


On to the recipe. This recipe is so easy and quick to make. It calls for baking in the oven, but I have even done it in the crockpot. Yesterday I split the batch in half and made half with sausage and half without (for those who were Vegan or just don't want sausage). We are enjoying the leftovers today.


BBQ Sausage and Bean Dish

1 Pound Pork Sausage (or other sausage)
1 can Pork & Beans (I used vegetarian Baked Beans)
1 can Lima Beans (I don't care for Lima beans so I used Great Northern)
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Green Beans
1 can Yellow Wax Beans (Can you believe I couldn't find any at my store, so doubled the green)
1 can Tomato soup
1 small can tomato paste
1 Tbs. mustard
1 c. brown sugar
Brown pork sausage and drain. Drain all cans of beans (except pork and beans) and place in a large bowl. Add sausage. In a separate bowl, combine tomato soup, paste, mustard and brown sugar to combine. Pour over beans. At this point you can either put it in the crock pot and let it heat through, or place in a large baking dish and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. 
I'm linking this recipe to Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts