WQWWC...April 21st Theme...Nutrition and Nourishment



It's another week of Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQWWC here. Here's her latest post
This weeks theme is Nutrition and Nourishment. It can be a pretty hot topic wouldn't you agree. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions and don't you dare step on anyone's toes.

Our family has come a long ways in the realm of our nutrition and nourishment. While a lot of our eating habits have changed, we practice life in moderation. I still have a weakness for Oreo cookies and other "stuff". BUT we work toward fueling our bodies with better options, better foods and ingredients. 

I remember one time some young ladies were house sitting. They went to look in the cabinet and freezer for something quick to microwave and then said to each other "oh yah, we are at Kevin and Kirstin's house, there's nothing fast here", because we typically don't keep processed foods in the house. Now if I do, I try to keep it organic. I used to make my own frozen burritos so my girls had a quick lunch option.

A few favorite quotes I love on these topics are:


" There are many ways to love your body, but fueling your body with nutritious food is the highest form of self respect" ~Ania Drosnes

That's to say that if we go through the fast food drive through we aren't exercising self respect. I think this is where moderation and not beating ourselves up comes in to play. Everyone is going to have their own thoughts on this and what they think is "Right", especially those who are hardcore into nutrition and fitness. That's not me. For me, listening to my body, making sure that I balance the "not so nourishing" things with foods that nourish and that I enjoy is a key. It helps me not to constantly be tipping the boat one way or the other.  


"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces. Just good food from fresh ingredients" ~Julia Child


Yes!!! How good is this! Good food from fresh ingredients. I'll often make meals that maybe I used to make, but I'll be more intentional with the ingredients I use, or I only make them at certain times of the year. I started making Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole completely from scratch! So much better and I was using better ingredients. Sometimes it just has to be simple and satisfying. 



"Invest in yourself. Because you can't afford not to"


 Oh boy! Is that not a big one! We can't afford to not invest in our personal wellness on all levels! How do you invest in yourself? I'm trying to work on this more, but I admit I'm a people pleaser and sometimes spend more time doing for others than for myself. It's an area I'm trying to work on. Taking time for the things I enjoy is tough for me because I often feel like I should be doing other things and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  


"It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens" ~Jillian Michaels

Another one I love. Throw out perfection. It's about the effort and intention (I love the word intention). Maybe I have a a smoothie for breakfast and a big salad for lunch, but then eat a peanut butter cup, and pizza for dinner. To me, that's okay...I made an effort and as long as I'm aware, I'm good with that. I'm less likely to "blow it", for a lack of better terms, if I allow myself grace, am aware of what I'm purchasing, etc. than if I expect perfection and fall short. 




The above quote spoke such volumes to me. It reminded me to keep it simple, keep it in the moment, in the way that works FOR YOU! There's so much going on right now that we will be better versions of ourselves if we take the time to nourish ourselves, mind, body and spirit. It's so important that they all be healthy. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Hi Kirstin, I love your wise post. I'm glad you have the quote about not having to be perfect. ""It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens" ~Jillian Michaels. We preach that philosophy as teachers consistently, but it works with other facets of life, too, like diet, nutrition and any other self-improvement plan we start. Thanks again for participating in WQWWC this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Marsha...yes, that quote applies to all areas of life, sometimes so easy to encourage others with but often hard to do ourselves. Ughh.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts