Weekend Coffee Share...sing like the birds


Hello friends, grab your drink of choice and join me for another weekend coffee share. What do you want to talk about? I have been LOVING visiting everyone else. I thoroughly enjoy reading and learning about your lives. Sometimes it takes me awhile but I do try to get to everyone's posts. 

The weather here in Washington state has been beautiful this week. Chilly mornings and evenings and warm days. Blue skies. I love it. This morning (Friday) my hubby and I went on a walk instead of working out inside. It was brisk, the sky was blue, the birds and a few frogs were singing. I love hearing the birds sing, and frogs too, it is one of my favorite sounds. When we visited Texas last month I heard a Cardinal for the first time in MANY years. We don't have them in the NW and they are one of my favorite birds. If we were having coffee I'd ask what your favorite bird is? 

As I was walking, listening to the different sounds, it reminded me of us, as humans. We are all different, we all have our own unique "sound", each with our own purpose, our own look. Even the loud, obnoxious crows, have a purpose...haha (I'll have to look up what it is)! The other thing that struck me, was how beautiful these birds sounded together....and yes, as we walked, there was a crow in all his or her obnoxiousness, but it fit. Oh, and let's not forget the woodpecker, that sounded fine on the tree, but OH LORD when he comes pecking on my gutters, it's another story. Each bird with their own sound, just doing their thing, singing together, eating breakfast or whatever it is they're doing. 

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song" Chinese Proverb

Yes, there are some birds who are kind of bullies and don't play nice with the other birds, there are those we rarely see because they're kind of timid and afraid, there are those that we seem to be in awe of (insert bald eagle), those that are entertaining, those who seem brave and not afraid of anything, those that we can handle for a little while and then...please go away (insert crows or woodpeckers on the gutter). BUT they all have a place, they were not created by accident. Isn't it amazing the difference in the atmosphere when the birds start singing. Yet there are people who find it highly annoying. I love it.

Now unlike birds (though I'm not an expert), we humans can grow and change. We don't have to remain a bully, or timid and scared. We don't have to stay where we are (mentally and emotionally). We also don't have to shape shift to fit into someone else's mold or ideal or belief system, yet at the same time, it is totally okay and right to become more compassionate, more understanding, more willing to listen and learn and have conversations, even hard ones (I'm learning this one). It's okay to get rid of old, bad habits, negative thought processes that haven't served us well.

We're daily bombarded with so much information, probably more than we need to take in to remain in a healthy place. We don't realize how influenced we are by what is thrown at us, from all directions on any given subject. We often miss how biased the information we receive, can be (on all sides and subjects). We forget that money is being made at our expense. Pretty soon we start to believe everything we hear and everyone who thinks different becomes an enemy. We become confused, and it all begins to take a toll. I might not agree with someone's choices or lifestyle, but that doesn't mean I need to treat them as less of a human being. Social media has made it so easy to just spew thoughts out there without regard for anyone else, and relationships are ruined because of it. We lose sight of the beauty of someone's individuality and unique voice.

This was probably more than I planned to write, but boy, if we were having coffee, I'd want to make you feel worthy and valued and loved, and heard. Even if we disagreed on everything. I'd want to ask you about your life, what you've experienced, maybe we'd avoid certain conversations and that's okay. Maybe we'd just talk about what flowers we're planting this year. Are we having a garden? I am, I'm doing containers, and I just bought 7 bags of potting soil...52 dry quarts worth and boy was it heavy. Moved them to the car and then out of the car. I got my workout! 

I hope everyone has a great weekend and a great week. Take time to listen to nature around you, celebrate it's uniqueness, it's goodness, then take time to celebrate people around you and sing loud and proud like the birds!

Check out all the other posts on 
Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Kirstin, I enjoyed reading this post. The birds are singing loud and clear in my neighbourhood, too. Common birds in the spring here are red-winged blackbirds, robins, starlings, red cardinals, blue jays, etc. Even the Canada geese and sea gulls make a lot of sounds. I look forward to hearing more about your container garden. Thank you for sharing this. #WeekendCoffeeShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, thanks for visiting. I love the red-winged blackbird song too...we have those here. Down on the farm that my son in laws family owns you often hear the canadian geese and egrets. Our small town actually has seagulls too even though we are hours away from the ocean, we are on the columbia river and a smaller Lewis river and so the seagulls frequent the river. A few weeks ago the smelt were in the river and WOW I've never seen so many seagulls. I can't wait to plant my containers..probably first of may

      Delete
  2. Something to think about - I always like that sort of conversation over coffee (or, in my case, tea). I too love birdsong & would love to hear a woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to drink more tea. I bought some nettle leaf tea because it's a good source of iron and calcium and I need a bit more of that right now. I love the wood peckers...on the trees..lol

      Delete
  3. I love listening to the birds too; my favorite ones to spot are the red winged black birds and the orioles. We don't see those breeds nearly as often as the others so I get a little thrill when we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes, orioles...we don't have them here either, but I love red winged blackbirds, though I have to go where there's water to see them. I need to take a drive to our nature reserve sometime.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kirstin - I think birds/animals/humans are all alike in haveing good and bad characteristics - and often the venue (ie the gutters) is what can convert a good into a bad. I love birdsong - but at 5am I'm wishing them all back to sleep! And yes to no bad news sharing. I curate my intake very carefully - the news is so negative and so click-bait-ish these days, so I avoid as much as I can. I'd rather read the good stuff and stay positive - and I certainly never get into social media conversations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you Leanne! Ugghh... I usually get up at 5:00 so I don't mind them early unless it's the woodpecker on the gutter. Ha! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing a bit of your world with us. I'm so glad your weather is good. As for my favorite bird, it has to be the blackbird because of its name, since black is one of my favorite colors. Then again, I see people here referring to red-winged blackbirds and since I am blind, I have never been able to actually see a blackbird. Here, I thought they were black. Anyway, their sound is fantastic. I never quite realized frogs make such a beautiful sound too until I saw soome coffee share folk post about it. I think we may have them here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe red wing blackbird is all black with just a strip of red on its wing and I LOVE it's song.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts