Time Keeps Flying By

Oh for the love of all things! Everytime I have attempted to put up a post in the last four days something has stopped me. It's either the internet not working, just life needing my attention or something else. I have had two recipes I've wanted to post since last Tuesday. I even had my post started and it just never happened.

Last Tuesday the weather was so amazingly beautiful and sunny! It inspired me. I worked outside for a bit and then was inspired with what to serve my family for dinner. 
I know I have often said that we are on a journey of healthy, less processed, more fresh foods and ingredients. I can post more on that later. Tuesday however I decided to grill some salmon and cook up some brown rice. Here's where the inspiration came in. I really did not want to make the "usual" veggies that I make when salmon is on the menu. It can get boring and I want to keep variety in my meals. I'm sure you could argue that it really had nothing to do with the sunny weather, but trust me, I think it did.

I decided to keep the grilled salmon (I added some maple syrup to the marinade) and rice on the menu (they're so good for you), but instead of cooked veggies (usually broccoli or asparagus) I chose a fresh tossed salad with some extra veggies and hard boiled eggs on top. I also decided to cut up a fruit salad (it's good to get lots of fresh fruits and veggies into our families and I would venture to guess that the majority of us don't get enough). 
 I guess the sun just inspired freshness! Since that time I've made another huge bowl of fruit salad for our youth leaders meeting (it was gone so fast I never got any). I also made my Texas Caviar (always a hit), and a Texas Sheet Cake (another hit) though I did make a few changes. I realized I did not have enough butter for the cake and the icing so in the cake I replace 1/2 a cup of butter with 1/4 c. oil and 1/4 c. applesauce. It also called for sour cream which I don't buy anymore so I used plain yogurt. It turned out amazing!!
 I've linked to all the recipes, but I want to share two simple recipes with you. One is for a yummy tomato and cucumber salsa to top the salmon with and the other is a Sweet and Sour Salad dressing. My goal is to figure out how to make the dressing taste as good as it does but make it a bit healthier.


Tomato and Cucumber Salsa
Plum Tomato's
Cucumber, peeled
onion (if desired), I didn't use this
chopped cilantro or parsley 
a few tablespoons of lemon juice

No amounts, just simply chop up the desired amount, toss with cilantro or parsley and lemon juice and lavish your salmon with this fresh salsa.


Sweet and Sour Dressing
2 onions, med (I really only use about 1/4 of one...we're not huge raw onion fans)
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. Mustard
2 tsp. celery seed
garlic powder (to taste)
2/3 c. vinegar
2 c. sugar
2 c. canola oil
Paprika and parsley
poppy seed


Combine first 8 ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until well combined. Add poppyseed, paprika and parsley if desired and blend for a few seconds. Store in refrigerator.

This dressing is oh so good, but oh so not good for you!! It's been about 4 years since I've made it and it just sounded so good to me last week that I decided to make it. 

I'm getting this post in really late to Tasty Tuesday put on by Beauty and Bedlam



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts