Taking in Life Around Me: #Lens-artist Challenge: Places shaped by water



This weeks lens-artist challenge is being hosted by John. We all have images of water, but John wants us to focus on what is around the water...whether buildings, bridges, rock formations. etc. I tried to limit it to six images but it was hard so we've got eight. 
Sorry John-Bo. 

While not a fabulous photo, this bridge is pretty cool. It is the Astoria Megler Bridge that spans the width of the Columbia River before it meets the Pacific Ocean, and connects Washington and Oregon. It is 4.1 miles long, with most of it over water. Every October it is closed for the popular Great Columbia Crossing 10k. Thousands of people come from all over to participate. The beauty of this race is that it's open to anyone of any ability. You just need to be over the bridge by a certain time they just come by with a shuttle and pick you up. I've done it twice with my 81 year old mother in law and her 86 year old friend. What an experience. 

Lake Sacajawea in Longview, Washington is a beautiful lake surrounded by old homes, tree lined streets and 3.5 miles of walking paths. It can also be a rough city, known for crime, etc, but the lake brings a sense of calm. You may have heard of Longview on the news a few months ago after a huge implosion at a local factory killed several workers. As rough as the town can be, it also has a deep sense of community and everyone came together to help the families. There are many bridges that span the lake, a fountain and many places to sit and play. This lake is a centerpiece for a lot of activity. 

A few years ago I got to visit Oahu. As I was going through images, this one caught my eye because it is a picture of what all the island offers...Large city, mountains and nature, and the ocean surrounding it all. I also decided that I'm not sure I'd want to be locked to an island.  

In my own town, we have the Cedar Creek Grist Mill. It is on the National Register of historic places. It was built in the late 1800's. It is still a working mill and volunteers hold events every year giving visitors a look inside and samplings of treats made from flour they mill on site. It runs only on power from the water. It is one of the oldest buildings in Washington still doing what it was created to do. It draws visitors from all over the US.

While visiting Plymouth, MA we came upon a large and very cool  wooden boardwalk and granite block jetty of Plymouth Breakwater. It was stunning at sunset as we observed boats anchored in the water. 

We all know that the city of Venice relies heavily on it's waterways and is often affected by the rising waters. Dating back to the 1500's what a fascinating history this city has, and often a questionable future. 

I found that I had several images of marinas, harbors and boats. This one was located in Nanaimo Marina in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island Canada. 

These wooden buildings were fascinating. We stopped near a strip of businesses in Cowichan Bay, BC Canada. They are located at the Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre. They are exhibition pods that house interactive historical displays, etc. We did not do the tour of the whole facility but it looked really neat. 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Wonderful response, Kirstin! I'm a big fan of old bridges (and new), but my favorites are the old grist mill and the Venice canals! Great examples, all... (and no penalty for the extras. >grin<)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!