For the Love of Reading: #shareyourshelf & #WOYBS


Welcome to my What's On Your BookShelf post. The #WOYB link party is hosted by Deb, Jo, Jennifer and Bernie....all gals I follow on a few other link parties. I love their blogs. Go check them out. #whatsonyourbookshelfchallenge You can link up on the third Thursday of the month.

I also decided to link this with #shareyourshelf hosted by some great bloggers I follow, like Joanne. I'll link it on the week they post theirs, which is the first Thursday of each month. 

My rating system:

⭐ DNF (which there's a reason), story lacking any depth, grammatical or spelling errors (too many), just did not enjoy it and enough because maybe it wasn't my type of book. If I can't get into it after 1/4 of the way (or less), I don't want to waste my time. Don't bother reading

⭐⭐ Story line is a bit all over the place, struggle to read it but maybe it had some redeeming parts. Characters  or story line weren't believable or too unrealistic. I wouldn't want to read it again. Grammar wasn't "realistic". Too many storylines going on at the same time. Read it or don't read it.

⭐⭐⭐ Solid story line and characters. I liked it but didn't necessarily LOVE it, but I didn't HATE it either. I may have felt that it dragged on, or had parts that weren't necessary to the story. Maybe was a little hard to follow. Probably wouldn't recommend but it wasn't a total disaster.

⭐⭐⭐⭐ A really great read that I enjoyed picking up each time. I enjoyed it from front to back. The characters and storyline were really good.  As someone said "a truly good book, but missing the cherry on top".  Go ahead and read it

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This book knocked it out of the park and I couldn't put it down. OR it was a book that really opened my eyes to something or taught me something about someones life. One I have bookmarked and even taken notes. It left me wanting to read more by the author or more in the series. Definitely go read. 

I've probably already said it....I love my rating system, but I'm not always great at following it. I hate leaving low ratings...lol. I also realized that I probably rate cozy mysteries a bit different since they are usually very simple. If it was really good and cozy, it'll most likely get a 5, otherwise it's probably a 4. 




July Reads: 

Death in the Park (Firefly Junction, #1) by London Lovett ⭐⭐⭐⭐
In this first book we are introduced to a myriad of characters. Sunni Taylor moves to Firefly Junction where both her sisters live (and on the same property). Sunni is moving into the rundown Cider Ridge Inn that is rumored to have a ghost/spirit. She has hopes of turning it into a B & B. She takes a job working for the local paper and when there's a murder, she's determined to get the story and solve the mystery. I  ended up liking this one more than I thought, though the ghost/spirit aspect didn't come out fully until the VERY END...I kept thinking, when is this going to happen. I felt the story line was good and I liked the characters. I would read more in the series. 


White Chrysanthemum by Lynn Bracht ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wow...this one was not completely what I expected but it was very good. When I read historical novels, I realize how much of history we never hear about. How horrific some things were. How "in the name of war and the soldiers well being" there was so much violence and abuse. This was touching and heartbreaking. I felt the whole story was just so sad. Two sisters separated by the choice of one to save the other, and their individual journeys through life. It was a bit odd that the telling of one sister was as an old woman, and the other when she was younger and a prisoner. It flashed back a few times as the "old woman" remembered things. A few times too much intertwined making it feel a bit muddled. 
I never felt like there was a true resolution or even joyful reunion (I realize not every story ends with happily ever after). It is descriptive of assault so be warned of that. 

Dead, White and Blue (Northwoods Mystery, #2) by Annie McEwen ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I read this book in 2024 and am re-reading it for the Fable Book club I'm part of. I love Annies books and this was just as fun reading it a second time. Emmy Cooper finds herself once again in the middle of a murder investigation, though she does try to stay out of them. With the help of her best friend, they dig deeper and stick their noses where they probably shouldn't be to get to the bottom. Oh, and she has a crush on the local police officer (who happens to also have been her HS crush)..the relationship is budding. 

Life is Funny Until It's Not: A Comic's Story of Love, Loss, and Lunacy by Chonda Pierce⭐⭐⭐
I used to love Chonda Pierce as a comedian when I was younger. I'm using this book for the prompt "a book inspired by a top grossing movie the year you were born" for the 52 book challenge. Well, I was struggling, but one movie was Funny Girl. I decided to use a book that was about a woman comedian. This book is her eye opening tell all about the secrets she kept so long throughout childhood and into adulthood. You just don't know what those in public platforms have gone through or experienced and how so often they hide behind the pain with humor. I haven't followed her life in a long time or listened to her acts since probably the 90's. I'm curious though to go back and learn more. The book takes us from childhood and her family through her own adulthood and struggles she and her family faced. 

Like, Follow, Subscribe: Influencer Kids and the Cost of a Childhood Online by Fortesa Latifi ⭐⭐⭐

I now seem to analyze every influencer account I follow after reading this book. Is what I'm seeing real or a "stage" that is perfectly curated. The book interviews several influencers and some of their children regarding what it's like to be front and center and the pressure to be viral and create content that ultimately will get the most clicks, comments, and make the most money. What lengths will they go. It also discusses the original "mom bloggers" and how things have changed. The author dives into the affects viral influencers lives have on their children who are often unknowingly the "stars of the show". It also opened my eyes to the fact that many of these women have a whole crew behind the scenes that make what they do seem "easy and doable". 

I just Wish I had a Bigger Kitchen: And Other Lies I think Will Make Me Happy by Kate Strickler ⭐⭐⭐
I listened to this on audio, and it wasn't bad. There were some great nuggets in there. The lies she talks about are the ones that seem to be fed by what we view in a social-media saturated world....seeing the highlight reels and finding ourselves lacking in many areas of life. She is the founder of Naptime Kitchen. In the book she talks about simple perspective shifts that can help you fall in love with the life you already have. Now, I do find it kind of funny that often those who write these books are those who also have nicely curated social media pages, etc. I also found it interesting to listen to this one at the same time I was reading the other book about social media. Bottom line is, it is so easy to compare! I often think I'm so glad IG and FB weren't around when I was trying to raise my two girls on a slim youth pastors salary, thrift store clothes, etc. 


Awl Shook Up by Paula Charles ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I received this book as an ARC and I really enjoyed it. The latest installment in the Hometown Hardware mystery series takes place in winter and everyone's gearing up for the Winter Festival. All is going well until one of the teachers winds up dead. Of course the amateur sleuths are ready to solve the crime. There is also a side plot going on with a thief who leaves I.O.U.'s with what they took and how much they owe. It is a sweet addition and I can't wait to see the progression in further installments of the series. This is a fun cozy series. 

Hidden Currents by Christy Barritt ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I've had this one in my Kindle Library and it checked off a box in the 52 bookclub mystery challenge of "A Detective on the Cover". I enjoyed this book. I would read more in the series. Detective Cady Matthews took down the head of a gang and now there's a bounty on her head. She is sent away under another name after her safe house is raided. There's a leak. In her new town, she's an ice cream truck lady. Not long after arriving, a body washes up on shore. Everything within her wants to jump into detective mode, but she can't blow her cover. There are some interesting twists and turns. There are at least 6 in the series. I probably won't buy them all but hopefully can get them at the library.


Bite the Dust (Low Country Dog Walker #1) by Jackie Layton ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is the first in this series, and I was fully invested in it. There were a few typos but only a couple and the rest of it was good enough that I can overlook it and not give less stars. Dog walker Andi Grace lives in her S.C. hometown and has overcome a lot in the last 12 years including raising her two siblings after their parents were killed in a hit and run (which is a cold case). They've done well for themselves and have turned out to be amazing adults. Unfortunately she stumbles upon a body of one of her clients. She of course becomes a suspect and sets out to prove her innocence. The book is filled with characters that almost all went to school with one another, and a newcomer who is easy to like as well. She's a sleuth that tries every last nerve of the sheriff. 

Dog-Gone Dead (Low Country Dog Walker #2) by Jackie Layton ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is the second book in the series I mentioned above. Book two finds Andi Grace finding another body. It is the husband of a H.S. classmate who owns the local coffee shop. Her brother is the prime suspect since the body was found in bark dust and killed with his landscaping tools. Andi Grace sets out to clear her brothers name and solve the crime. The author does a good job making you suspect multiple people. 

Bag of Bones (Low Country Dog Walker #3) by Jackie Layton ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I have been binging this series, as you can tell. It is fun, easy read and it holds my attention. Jackie definitely has me guessing and I haven't been 100% right on my guesses of the whodunit! In this book, Andi Grace and her boyfriend stumble upon the body of the local cat lady on the beach and it turns out, you guessed it, she was murdered, but why!! Also entering the scene is a young lady in need of  help! Of course everyone knows Andi Grace is going to investigate, and the way they all come to terms with it is kind of funny. I'm getting ready to order the last two in the series. 

Empty Your Backpack by Sam Demma ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I have followed Sam on social media for a bit and have liked his reels. He is young...probably late 20's but we can learn from anyone, no matter what age. I heard he had a book out so I borrowed the audio from the library. It is geared towards, I'd say, High School through young adult, but you know, I got a lot out of it too. The theme of it is Unpacking your beliefs (the ones that you shouldn't be carrying), and taking action to create a meaningful life. He focuses on what it takes to fulfilling dreams, cultivating empowering beliefs, stepping out and not limiting or allowing others to limit you. 



Currently Reading: 

Yesteryear by Caro Claire Burke
Reading this for my in person book club. I'm only a few chapters in but it's kind of a weird one. This one follows Natalie, a "tradwife" influencer who suddenly awakens in 1855. One day she's curating perfect IG posts with nannies and "producers" in the background helping to make her life seem perfect, which we learn it's not, but it makes her money, and the next morning she awakens cold and unsure where she is. Is this a nightmare, a cruel joke, a reality show...what is going on. I haven't quite figured anything out yet so I'm hoping this all comes together. 

Also, it's interesting hearing this term "tradwife" come up. It clearly has more negative references than positive in this book and in the ways I've heard it used recently to describe women who are going back to the simple ways of doing things, or the "Traditional" roles of women as defined by I guess whoever decided to define it. I'd love to know what others thoughts are. I also feel like this book is in a non direct way, referencing a particular IG influencer and her family who I won't mention but would be interesting to see if anyone else knows. I love that women can choose to have careers, and be successful. I love that some women are working moms and do that well. I also love that some women do love to stay home and tend the house and family, bake, grow their own food...I would love to do that. I also know there is abuse in that by some organizations, etc. I also know that, now, after reading some things, there are women who do what needs doing to bring in the income influencers can potentially bring in, but I'm sure there are some who are genuine. Anyways, I could go down a rabbit trail.

The Littlest Library by Poppy Alexander
I picked this one up when we were on a trip to Seabrook, Washington. I love the bookstore they have there and wanted to support them by buying something. I'm not too far into it, but I think I'm going to like it. Jess isn't sure what to do with herself after she loses her librarian job and her grandmother. At the encouragement of her best friend she decides to start new, sells the home she shared with her grandmother and moves to another village where she falls in love with a cute cottage that comes with a red phone booth. During a town council meeting, in which everyone wants to know what she's going to do with it, it's decided it can become a library. So far the characters are fun and quirky.

Caught and Collared (Low Country Dog Walker #4) by Jackie Layton
Told you I was binging these. Sometimes you just have to know what happens further along in a series. There is one detail I won't share in case you read it. Once again Andi Grace and her friend Juliet stumble upon a dead body as they are on a community scavenger hunt, and of course she just can't stay out of it. By now, no one really expects her to, thought they try to persuade her not to. There are some new characters, some from the last book that make a re-appearance and plenty of suspects. I also love how she is taking an unexpected inheritance and turning it into opportunities to help others both human and animal, as well as allowing her friend Juliet to run a b & b out of the main plantation house.

I received my August book for my pass along book club but I haven't started it. The gal who sent it to me, sent two, but I don't think I'll get through both of them. They are Heart the Lover by Lily King (which is rather short) and Buckeye by Patrick Ryan (which is longer). The first one is for the book club. I haven't even looked to see what either is about. 


An update on the challenges I've been participating in: 

I've added a few more books to my 52 book club prompts. I spent some time this past weekend updating my list and also researching some possible books for the prompts I have left. I always hope that all the books I read will fit a category but sometimes they just don't. I have been using to Storygraph to see where others have put certain books and also the 52 book club list. I did find that one of the books I got for my passalong book club fit one of the categories, but it's the longer one. 

The mystery challenge has been a bit trickier. Thankfully there is no deadline for this one. 
I need to pick my August book for Rosalie Spielmann's monthly book challenge. I'll go through my books shelves and kindle library and find one there. I had one picked, but when I started it, it just seemed forced and I actually questioned whether it was written with the help of AI. I deleted it and will find another one.

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. That rating system looks more like beating a dead horse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts