BKD Cookbook Club...what's new



It's time again for  Jo Tracey's BKD (Brookford Kitchen Diaries) Cookbook Club. I've followed Jo for awhile and have read several of her books, including one of her most recent which features a group of ladies who have a cookbook club. If you haven't read any of Jo's books, you should.

This month we were challenged to tackle something new to us, perhaps a new cookbook (not published before 2025) or a new to us website, etc. Well, March has gotten away from me and why I seem to procrastinate, I'll never know, BUT, for Christmas I had pre-ordered a cookbook for my daughter called the High Protein Plate by Rachael DeVaux, RD. It came a few weeks ago and I was going to borrow it, but then found a recipe by the same gal on Pinterest or somewhere. I've never made anything from her and while I've followed her on IG for workouts, I haven't ever gone to her website, so that is what I'm choosing. 

I'm making her BBQ & Goat Cheddar Chicken Taquitos. It can be found at Rachael Good Eats.


They look so good. Her website is filled with recipes, workouts, travel tips, links to her e-books and cookbooks , etc. It is easy to navigate and the images are stunning as well. I would say the majority of recipes are Gluten Free, refined sugar free and possibly dairy free. I don't mind any of those, so I think I'll find a lot of good things here. Plus, those are easy things to substitute if I don't have an ingredient. 




I did make some adjustments to the recipe. It called for Siete Cassava Tortillas, which I had planned to buy, BUT they were $11 at the store so I quickly nixed that idea. The other GF tortillas weren't a whole lot cheaper so I went with one that was half corn/half flour. I couldn't find Goat cheddar cheese, but I did find a goat cheese that I think will work.


I bought a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store but you could do whatever you wanted. Forgot to add a few things to the photo. 

I almost always use less onion than a recipe calls for because we're not HUGE onion fans and I never like it overpowering everything else. Lime juice was an interesting addition.


Once the filling was combined it called for warming the tortillas (which depending on what type you use, you could possibly skip this step) so that they are easier to roll. Then you add your filling, roll up tightly and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. 

Then bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until browned. I played around with this because I wanted them a bit more crispy, but then took them out because I also didn't want to burn them. 



These were great. They were easy to put together and you can easily substitute any of the ingredients. I think the half corn/half flour tortillas were a bit thicker and a more interesting texture. Next time I might opt for fully corn or fully flour, or GF, but not a combo.

Mine turned out thicker than a boxed taquito, but I honestly think they're perfect this way. I supposed I could've added less filling. 

The flavor was just right. I wasn't sure how I'd like it with a bbq twist to it, and the jalapeños, but I just did less jalapenos and it was perfect. The dipping sauce was fairly mild. I meant to add some garlic and onion powder but forgot. 

Tune in next month: From Jo

 April 15, 2025 – It’s autumn here in Australia, and by now the humidity (and the cane toads) should be gone and the evening temps beginning to cool. Of course, on the other side of the world, it’s spring. Wherever you are, let’s celebrate the season.

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. These look good. I'm off to check out the website - and her Instagram account. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great and I'm hoping to make some more from her site

      Delete
  2. My husband has a limited diet due to medical issues, but I do enjoy reading recipes to come up with new ideas to expand what he can eat. Very nice blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think we can learn so much and expand our ideas. There are so many more things at our fingertips.

      Delete
  3. yep cheddar and chicken sounds great! i often buy a cooked chook from the grocery store, and we get several meals out of it. I bet this was delish!
    cheers
    sherry (via BKD cookbook club)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts