Wednesday Hodgepodge




It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce, who blogs at From This Side of The Pond.  Each week she'll pose some questions for us to answer. What a great way to journal life.

1. The Olympics kick off this coming weekend. Will you be watching? I think we'll watch some things.  If you could watch just one event in person, which one would you choose? Oh, this is tough...it's going to be either gymnastics or soccer. I'm thinking we might watch surfing since my daughter is interested in it. One of the gymnastics members is from a neighboring city, Jordan Chiles. 

2. Have you ever been to Paris? I have never been there. Is this a city you'd like to visit? I think I would visit it, but it's not necessarily on my must visit list. My youngest daughter is visiting next year. What's your favorite 'French thing'? Oh boy..I like crepes, macaron's croissant...it's all food...haha. Now I'm trying to think of what other "french things" there. I love french braids. 

3. Macaron, creme brulee, chocolate soufle, mille feuille, or an eclair...your favorite French patisserie from the ones listed? creme brulee for sure. I love a macaron or eclair too. 

4. July 24th is National Cousins Day...do you have many cousins? I have a lot of cousins. Are you close to them? I guess I would say I'm somewhat close to a few and are more casual "acquaintenances with others"..haha. I don't live near any of them. They are almost all on the east coast and I'm on the west coast. I have one about 8 hours from me and another in California. Most of our interactions are on social media and that has been great, really...it has kept us connected somehow, and I'm happy for that. Will you see any of your cousins on July 24th? No. Like I said, we all live too far apart. My moms family is fairly large, so there are quite a few cousins who are close in age to me, even my second cousins. Out of her immediate family I have 8ish. My uncle had several step kids, but I never really knew any of them. 

I'm in the purple. In 2018 most of us met in Florida to celebrate my grandmas 90th birthday. Missing here are my sister and another cousin. One other passed away quite a few years ago. I'm in the purple shirt. 


Group of cousins (above and below) at a Christmas gathering at my great grandmas. Most here are my second cousins. I'm on the far left, first row. 


More cousins...my sister is second from left, I'm the 4th from the left. The guy on far right was a friend of my cousins. All the others are cousins. 1987ish.
My sister is front left, I'm right behind her, the rest are cousins...sometime in the 80's.


200? when my grandma visited us. My sister in the back. My cousin and his wife. 
When I was in Ohio in June, I briefly connected with two cousins who are older than I am, probably by 7-10 years. They are the kids of my grandpas sister. So that would make them my second cousins. They do remember me when I was little, and I remember them a bit. They travel to the island regularly, so I've seen them a few times when I've visited. 


5.  Last time you went somewhere that felt like 'everyone and his cousin' was there? Last Saturday we went to the Farmers Market and it definitely felt like everyone and their cousin was there...I mean I'm glad lots of people are going to Farmers Markets, but sheesh. SO. MANY. PEOPLE!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I'm so happy...I finally feel like I caught up on commenting on the link parties I participate in. It's been a struggle for me and I hate when I don't get around to it. 

I've also started keeping a page in my notes on my phone to jot down thoughts regarding the books I'm reading, so when I'm done, it's easier to write a review or my post for #WOYBS. 

In August we are taking a week off and instead of going anywhere, we are going to stay home and get some lingering "to do's " knocked out and also do some things locally, take grandkids to zoo, maybe go on a hike or two, etc. I've started a list of what I want to accomplish, but I also want to take time to read or do another fun craft or embroidery...something like that. 

For Fun: Grandkids and I made ice cream today in my Pampered chef ice cream maker. They can't do dairy so it's coconut and almond milk based and we added Oreos to it. It was actually really good. 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Your grandkids are so cute! How fun to get to spend time with them. Good idea about jotting down books as you read them. I am super far behind in doing a book review on my blog because it is daunting to go back back and figure out what books I read and review them. Also enjoyed the throwback pics of you and your cousins :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you maria. THey are so much fun to be around.

      Delete
  2. I think taking a "staycation" is a great idea; I will be leaving this job on the 8th and I don't go back to the classroom until the 19th. I plan to catch up on so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a staycation as long as we are intentional...which is harder for my hubby.

      Delete
  3. They have surfing in the Olympics? I did not know that. I'll have to check the schedule because that would be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know surfing was in the Olympics. I may have to watch that. A staycation and getting stuff done is sometimes the best instead of feeling like you need a vacation after your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either. I'm hoping we can be very intentional with the staycation

      Delete
  5. Getting things done feels good, sometimes better than a vacation where you get home and still have all those tasks to do. My younger daughter is currently not eating dairy and she had ice cream made with almond milk the other night. It was pretty good, not as creamy as ice cream but still tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are so many tedious things that I need to get done. Yes, the ice cream I made for the kiddos wasn't as creamy, but still good, and they loved it

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed all your 'cousin' photos! Fun. Your grands are so cute. Enjoy! Happy Hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Olympics are so different than they used to be and so many rules have changed.
    Good idea of keeping track of the books you’ve read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I haven't really watched them much over the years.

      Delete
  8. I will probably catch some of the surfing. I watched a lot of the sports last time. Stay cations are nice too. That is nice that you made ice cream for your grands, cute picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gymnastics is my pick. Yum on the goodies to eat. It is nice that social media can keep you closer to your cousins. Love the photos. Sounds like a good August. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not interested in the Olympic games, I am not a sport fan. There will be a lot of troubles, the French always make trouble whatever is the reason. I have been many times in Paris, and I have enough. People are not friendly, very aggressive and the city is dirty. Even the French don't like Paris. They have interesting exhibitions for museum lovers it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only like a few sports, but I do enjoy watching some of it.

      Delete
  11. Coconut and Almond Milk ice cream sounds good to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad, and I don't care for coconut

      Delete
  12. I wish we could have met up when you were in Ohio :-) Love all those cousins pics! I live too far away from any of my many cousins to keep up a good close friendship with any of them, but I'm glad I've been able to connect with a couple of them through social media. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun...how far are you from Lakeside Marblehead? Maybe next time we could meet up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts