Travel: Vancouver Island, British Columbia

This week I'm linking a regular blog post to #weekendcoffeeshare hosted by Natalie at Natalie the Explorer. I didn't have the energy or time like I thought to do a regular coffee share post. 



We recently came back from a 4 day trip to Vancouver Island, British Columbia...not to be confused with Vancouver, British Columbia. Vancouver Island has a rich and interesting history with a mixture of indigenous and European settlers. You can find out more info here. 

This area has always been on my list to visit, especially the Butchart Gardens. I'll preface this post by saying we didn't do everything we probably would have done. My hubby woke up sick the morning we left so we mostly did what he felt like he was up to doing. Normally we would probably take longer walks, do some hiking, etc. I will list things that we did but also things we had considered doing based on recommendations from others. 

I highly recommend joining Facebook pages for the areas you are traveling to. It can be so helpful. It can also get a bit overwhelming because there are so many amazing recommendations and suggestions that there is no way to get it all in.

We live in SW Washington and the best option for us is to drive to Port Angeles and take the Black Ball Coho Ferry. Friends, this was not cheap. I about fell over. It was a total of $216.00 for my hubby and I in a standard car round trip! Ouch. For us it's a long day of travel...3 1/2 hours to get to the ferry, then a 90 minute ferry ride.

We had two separate Airbnb's. We stayed the first two nights in Sooke, BC, and the last two in North Saiinich. Both of these had waterfront access to their respective bays/coves and were so peaceful. It was interesting because British Columbia recently began restricting vacation/short term rentals to principle residences, so either attached to the home or on the property. Both of these were in daylight basements. The family who owned the Sooke airbnb were gone on vacation so we had the property to ourselves and it was quiet. The second one, they were there and it was an older home so you could really hear everything, though it was fine for me. 






We prefer airbnb's to hotels because of the freedom we feel we have and it is just so much more relaxing. We enjoy having a kitchen to prepare our own meals if we want, more privacy, etc. 

Days 1-3 : Travel and 1 1/2 days in Sooke, BC

We were told to arrive at our ferry terminal an hour early because of customs checks. We arrived about 2 hours early but were able to park our car (thankfully towards the front of the line), and then we walked around in Port Angeles. We had been here in April so we headed first to our favorite grocery store, Country Aire Market. Kevin wasn't feeling well so we grabbed some supplements and also grabbed something to eat. He decided to walk back to the ferry and I opted to walk around some shops that I hadn't been in the last time we came. I also stopped and got a coffee at New Day Eatery. Their motto on the wall says "we dare you to try something new Today". Love it! 

I walked back to the ferry and relaxed, enjoyed the view from the dock and read until it was time to board. Once on the ferry you are required to leave your car and head to the passenger deck. I walked around several times to get steps in and just enjoyed the beauty around us. 

We arrived in Victoria and made quick time getting through the customs check in Canada...from there we headed to our first Airbnb. We stopped at a local Walmart for some food to tie us over for the evening and the next morning. We arrived around 9:00pm so there wasn't really time, nor did we feel like going out to eat. 



This is Romeo...he's the resident swan.

The next morning we weren't in a hurry to get going. I woke up early and took a walk along the shore since the tide was out. After a bit, we headed out. When we go on trips, I enjoy finding new coffee shops to try. I found Serious Coffee and it didn't disappoint. It is a franchise on Vancouver Island and was started in 1994.  They offer food as well, but I opted for my current favorite Lavender white mocha. 



From here we visited the Sooke Potholes Regional Park. Had my husband been feeling better we might have hiked along one of the trails. The Sooke River runs adjacent to the park and there are a series of deep, naturally carved rock pools that are perfect for swimming. 

One of the pools on the Sooke River. 
This piece of artwork was located in the park. You can read about it here

From there we had planned to stop at Shirley Delicious which was a recommended restaurant. There was a long line, we weren't overly hungry and didn't really want to wait. We noticed that just up the road past the restaurant was a sign for a lighthouse. Two miles in we found a trailhead that would take us to the Sheringham Point Lighthouse. It was an easy walk, though my hubby wasn't' feeling well so tired easily. We were treated with enjoying a bald eagle sitting in a tree nearby. This lighthouse is a designated National Heritage Lighthouse. It was first illuminated in September of 1912. 





After this stop we headed back to our airbnb for a few hours before going to dinner. We opted to go to West Coast Grill located in the Prestige Oceanfront Resort. We enjoyed Calamari, I had the Coast to Coast Risotto and my hubby had blackened salmon. It was all VERY good. 

View from our table looking out over the bay.
Loved this car in front of the hotel. Surf boards on top.

Calamari

Coast to Coast Risotto with a lobster bisque underneath.

Below are some photos of the hotel entry.






On the way back I wanted to stop at a night market I saw advertised. Hubby stayed in the car. Fun market with local artisans and foods, even music. I didn't linger to long. 

TIP: Definitely look into what is happening in the area. Local markets are the best place to find souvenirs that actually are from the area, also try fun and new foods, etc. 



This is the top part of the lighthouse that is located where the night market was. 


Those fish were made from mosaic tiles. This entire bear was beautiful!

We headed back to the airbnb after this for the evening. I relaxed and read, and actually caught up on a lot of blog comments that I was so behind on. 


Days 4-5 North Saiinich, B.C. 

The next morning we got up, cleaned up the airbnb, and headed out around 9:00. The night before my hubby was having a pain between his shoulder blades, and was thinking maybe he should try to find a chiropractor. I got on FB on one of the local pages and asked if there were any in the area that took walk ins. I called several and then a gal got on and said she was a chiropractor and did walk ins. We showed up, and she was able to get him in..shoutout to Tancock Chiropractic and Dr. Stephanie Fell.


  From there we headed to the Butchart Gardens. If this was all I did the whole time we were gone, I'd be content. It was stunning. I know some people spend all day there, but we had more we wanted to see, I'm the main flower lover, and my hubby was still under the weather. We wandered around for a few hours, and then he found a bench in the shade to sit while I meandered to finish seeing the last few gardens. Their small cafe/coffee shop had good scones. They also have an awesome gift shop that is HUGE and very fun. I restrained myself, though I could've bought so many things. I enjoyed it, but there are SO many people that it's hard to really stop and look or take photos, unless the path is wide enough for people to go around you. Some people don't care and would take forever to get the "right pose" (probably for the social media pages). I'm too self conscious. 







TIP: Go early (or maybe even late)..we went fairly early and the parking lots except the bus lot were all full and people just kept coming. 

From there, we headed to our airbnb. Another easy check in. Super cute place with a beautiful view. The owners were home here and sometimes the noise transfer was loud, but it was okay. They recommended we have dinner at Fox & Monocle. A unique restaurant that is bakery by day, restaurant by night and features more European style dishes. We had crab rolls and fresh bread for appetizer, and then I had duck breast over polenta with vegetables, and my hubby had lamb pie. Both were excellent. Then we finished with some dessert. A chocolate mousse cake with lavender cream, and Vanilla Bavarois with rhubarb sorbet and a vanilla cream. WOW!

The seasonal mocktail was a rhubarb spritzer and it was so good!! 


Crab rolls on fresh made brioche rolls.
Hubby's lamb pie!

My duck breast. I could've eaten two plates. 

Desserts. So good! 


The following morning we decided our plan would be to drive north from North Saanich and just see what there was. First we stopped at the Deep Cove Market, which stole my heart. I'm a sucker for markets that offer unique food items, local products and artisans, etc. This one also had a small cafe and coffee shop so we grabbed breakfast sandwiches and a coffee before hitting the road. We stopped at some viewpoints, which offered stunning views. Cowichan Bay had a few neat shops and an amazing bakery, called True Grain. The minute you walk in your senses are overwhelmed with the smell of fresh baked goodies and shelves filled with breads, cookies and other things. We grabbed a pastry to try. We walked down the short street to see what was there before moving on. Our next stop was Nanaimo. I thought of getting a "nanaimo bar", but I don't like coconut so I passed! We walked around the waterfront area and one of the streets that was supposed to be popular before heading back. I'm sure there was more to do in this area but we didn't stay long. 




The views on the drive were gorgeous! I never get tired of the PNW landscape! 




Our next stop was Sidney  by the Sea. Definitely worth visiting. Lots of cute shops, a pretty park and waterfront area, plenty of restaurants and cafes. We grabbed dinner at a Greek Restaurant, Maria's Souvlaki. I had a lamb skewer and a Caesar Gone Greek Salad. Both had amazing flavor! After we ate, we headed back to the airbnb, stopping first for an ice cream at the Deep Cove Market. 

We stopped at this cheese shop, called The Farmer's Daughter, and ended up purchasing an amazing cheese and some crackers to snack on. We sampled several and they were AMAZING! 

The cheese shop was located in this darling alley! Other shops lined either side of it. 



It also has a couple of neat bookstores including one that is the oldest on the island called The Haunted Bookshop. It was first established in 1947. It caters to all sorts of book lovers, from out of print material, antique books and current reads. 

Sunday was our travel day back home. We left about 8:30. We had to be back at the ferry terminal at 1:3o. Originally we were scheduled to be on the 7:00pm ferry which was the only time to choose when I made the reservation. Thankfully, I called them Friday and was able to change the reservation for 3:00. Because we live 3 1/2 hours from Port Angeles I felt like we needed to change it or at least show up early and hope to get on as a "first come first serve" passenger. If we took the later ferry we wouldn't arrive home til 1:00 in the morning. We didn't want to have to get a hotel and drive home the next morning. We ran some errands and had planned to get to the ferry terminal early, leave the car and go walk around. We had hoped to arrive by 11:00/11:30, however, our directions kept saying we were being rerouted and that a road was closed. What should have taken less than 20 minutes, took us an hour. There was a huge pride parade and event. I had no idea. That put a huge dent in the plans. By the time we made it to the ferry terminal, got parked, and left, we had maybe an hour and a half to walk around. We both ended up being a bit grumpy (we had a few of those moments on this trip). The restaurant we wanted to try because it was recommended, Red Fish, Blue Fish, had a line that was too long and wouldn't give us time to get back (me being the paranoid one wanting to get back right at 1:30). We finally walked back, found a place called Nourish Kitchen and Cafe. We grabbed two muffins and I got a coffee. Once again we were glad we were at the front of the line. We got through the customs process easy and quick, but then had another hour and a half before we boarded. Once you go through the customs process, you are not allowed to leave the terminal. It was hot, there was nowhere inside to wait. Finally we loaded, and headed back. The indoor seating areas for stuffy so we opted to just hang outside. 

If you are a lover of the outdoors and exploring new places, this is a place that should go on your list to visit. There is so much to see and do if you're willing to take the time to explore. It's a pretty big island so most people suggest more than 3 days. 

My biggest tips are:

* If using Airbnb, make sure your rental is in compliance with new laws.
*Get your ferry tickets and reservations ASAP
*Check any local events happening that might conflict with any plans. Even check road work.
*Join Facebook groups. The two we joined were:


*Get recommendations from locals. Don't be afraid to ask your airbnb hosts where they like to go, do and see.
*Support local businesses
*Check the lists of what is acceptable to bring into and out of countries...this helps customs process to go quickly.

Places we were going to see but didn't:


We didn't do much eating out other than dinner, and snacks here and there, but definitely look for suggestions and try local places rather than chain restaurants or things you can find where you live. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Kirstin, Looks like you had beautiful, sunny weather and a nice holiday. Vancouver Island is picturesque. I hope your husband has fully recovered from whatever ailed him. Thank you for your weekend coffee share. There will be no WCS link-up on July 19 and 26. Please plan to join me again on August 2 when I'll resume hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have great weather. He did fully recover, and I only got slightly sick! Enjoy your time off from WCS

      Delete
  2. I love Victoria. It's been a long time since I've been to Vancouver Island. I haven't really explored other parts other than Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to explore Victoria again since we really didn't get a chance to see it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts