For the Love of Reading.....What's on Your Bookshelf


Welcome to my What's On Your BookShelf post. The WOYB link party is hosted by DebJo and Sue....all gals I follow on a few other link parties. I love their blogs. Go check them out. #whatsonyourbookshelfchallenge

I almost missed the post except that I saw Deb post something on her IG. I had every intention of having my post ready and scheduled before I left on a getaway, but nope...I forgot. 

This won't be long because I didn't finish many books in March. I guess it was just one of those months. I won't share the books I finished in April...I'll save that for Mays post. 



March reads: I only finished two books. I had several going at once, but just couldn't get them finished. 

Wake up with Purpose: by Jean Dolores Schmidt ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I gave this one 5 stars because, wow...the woman is 103 years old and writing a book. It was VERY interesting, but much of her life revolves around being the Chaplain for Loyola University's mens basketball team, which is fascinating, but I'm not a huge basketball fan, so I think I would've enjoyed hearing other things. Either way it is worth reading or in my case, I listened to it on audiobook. She does the introduction but someone else narrates it and does a good job. 

Out of the Frying Pan: by Michelle Griep ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I love a good cozy mystery and this one was so good. The main characters are a pair of hilarious ladies (sisters) who live in a retirement community. When the chef turns up dead, they decide to investigate...I don't like to give much away, but it's worth reading. It combines generations when their niece and a younger detective are on the scene as well. 


What I'm currently reading:

The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World: by Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu and Douglas Carlton Abrams

I'm not that far into this one, about 23% of the way through, but I'm really enjoying it. So fascinating. The description says, Two great spiritual masters share their own hard-won wisdom about living with joy even in the face of adversity. Here are two men who have both lived in exile, sharing how joy can be a part of daily life. 

Everything Sad is Untrue: by Daniel Nayeri
You guys, I'm still struggling with this one. I shared about it last month. I've renewed it twice and am still only about 21% done. I honestly don't know if I want to finish it...What do you all do when you have a book but just aren't "feeling it"? Normally I'd probably just stop, but because this is part of the 12/12 challenge I'm part of, I kind of feel like I should plug away at it. Thoughts? 

Those are the only ones currently being read. I'm trying to push myself to finish the above book, but I may need to start another just to survive...haha. 

I said this would be a short one. 

I do want to share something I bought that I am excited to use. A lady came in to where I work to mail a package. One of the items she was mailing was a small book called Bookstore Passport



I think this will be so fun. My hubby and I are on a mini getaway and I brought it with me, with the intention of visiting a bookstore or two if I find them. 

One thing I am trying to work on is reading books on my actual book shelf. Now, whether I can be disciplined to do this is another story. 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. What a coincidence - I saw historical fiction novels by Michelle Griep at the library the other day but not your fun read. Must look at the catalogue and see if it’s there
    Cathy #WOYBS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely go to bookstores except in my own city (and it is an independant which I love) so the passport, which does look interesting, probably wouldn't work for me. As to the book you can't finish -- don't. Life is too short to read stuff you don't enjoy. Bernie from www.equipoiselife.wordpresss.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I get where you're coming from. It could take me awhile to fill it in...plus I don't always buy books when I visit them.

      Delete
  3. I had a did not finish last month too - and it really tore me as others had loved this particular book but it just didn't do it for me. I tend not to review them or even mention them because it's usually "me" rather than the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's so hard when I know some people really liked a book. The one I'm struggling with, I just can't seem to figure it out...so choppy!

      Delete
  4. I love that a 103 year old women wrote a book! It's certainly never too late is it, Kirstin. I'm so pleased you could join us for #WOYBS? and what a great idea the Bookstore Passport is to encourage people to visit rather than buying online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very keen to read Wake Up With Purpose. What an achievement to have a book published at that age. Bookstore Passport is a great idea. I'm sure bookstores must be suffering these days. I mostly read on the kindle so I'm guilty of not supporting them, though I do love to visit a bookstore when we're on holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I read a lot of kindle too or use the library. Books can be so expensive that sometimes I cringe because I often don't read fiction books more than once. Non fiction I will look back to but not usually fiction

      Delete
  6. Hi Kirstin, Out of the Frypan sounds good and I love the idea of the Book of Joy too. Some months are just like that aren't they? It's hard to keep going when a book just doesn't do it for you but you feel you should keep reading. Thanks for joining us for #WOYBS and for the shoutout too, so glad you saw my Insta post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts