Weekend Coffee Share....Come Sit with Me


It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try. I have loved getting to know different bloggers and I figure if they take the time to write a post, I'll find the time to visit, even if it's a week later. I truly enjoy what you all share and I often learn so much. 

Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare.

If we were having coffee we might talk about:

I won't be posting next week since we'll be on vacation in Mexico and I'm determined to leave my computer at home. We get back on the 19th, and then Christmas is around the corner, so I'm not sure I'll join in that week either. If not I'll see you all after Christmas. I was working my way through everyones posts from last week. I'll try and play catch up. But I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a hard time getting around, since I only had two comments on my post. It's that time of year. 

The weather: We have had heavy rain...so much so, that some areas have hit national news. A lot of flooding. My aunt said she saw Snoqualmie Falls (which is where I grew up) on their news in Ohio. It was very warm too, and I'm thankful that we haven't had any snow yet, otherwise it would have been worse. The last few days have been cold and not quite so wet. I'm ready for the warmth of Mexico, though I have no idea what to pack. 

What we're thinking about: I've been bombarded with lots to do before our trip...feeling a little stressed, but trying to keep focus and so my thoughts have mostly been on what needs to get done. I know it seems shallow, and I know I have thought of other things but at the moment, these have been the things pressing on my mind. 

What we're thankful for: Today (Saturday) we made Christmas cookies. It was my girls and then my sister, my niece and her boyfriend, and my nephews girlfriend and their baby (he was home sick). My oldest niece had to work. It's also my birthday. I'm thankful for another year, and thankful for the year to come. I'm thankful that we had a fun day making yummy cookies, making memories, laughing! It was a good day. I hope it was a healing day relationally as well. 

Around the house: It is winter season of not doing anything outside, but enjoying the coziness of the inside. I was thinking today that perhaps that's another reason why I love decorating for Christmas. I need something to offset the gloomy, wet, PNW winters. The warm lights on the trees, candles, cozy decor, Christmas music, just do so much for me. 

For the love of food:
Today we baked a variety of Christmas cookies. Some tried and true and we tried a new one. We made peanut butter fudge, white chocolate cranberry cookies, Italian Sprinkle Cookies, Caramel Corn, Rocky Road cups, Chocolate dipped Peanut Butter Pretzels. 


What we're reading or wanting to read: I haven't started any new books yet. I need to. I finally finished my last book of the 12 books from 12 friends. I'm reading the book Pulling up Danedelions by Letha Brandenburg, who is a local author. The story is about her journey to redeeming her adolescence. I'm about 66% done with it. My book club picked a new book and I'm happy that it's actually one I recently read so that I don't have to worry about reading it. 

I really enjoyed the 12 books by 12 friends, so I'm going to do it again. So far I've had 7 recommendations. If you have one that you read and loved share it in the comments. 


What we're listening to or watching: I'm listening to the book Interupted  by Jen Hatmaker. It's okay. I've listened to a few podcasts, and watched some Hallmark movies while walking on the treadmill to get some steps. 

Favorite quote: I didn't participate last week in #WQ. Just too much going on. I probably won't participate the next few weeks possibly as I'm trying to get ready for our trip and then we'll be gone and my plan is to leave my computer at home. I will share something I read on IG that was so good. It's long but very good and maybe someone needs to read it. 

Love Came First (Donna Ashworth)

You don’t move on after loss, but you must move with. You must shake hands with grief, welcome her in, for she lives with you now. Pull her a chair at the table and offer her comfort. She is not the monster you first thought her to be. She is love. And she will walk with you now, stay with you now, peacefully. If you let her. And on the days when your anger is high, remember why she came, remember who she represents. Remember. Grief came to you my friend because love came first. Love came first.  

Favorite photo(s):  Yesterday was my birthday. I had been wanting to make Christmas cookies with my girls and that was the day everyone could make it work. I also invited my sister and her family. Two of the kids couldn't come, but her youngest daughter and her boyfriend, and then my nephews girlfriend and their baby came. It was a great day. It was fun, enjoyable and we made some good cookies. My cup was full. 
Before everyone else got there, indy and I worked on Gingerbread cookies. That's what he wanted to make. He was so fun. last year he was sick and didn't come. This year, Pepper was sick. She was there, but basically sat on daddy's lap and slept the whole time. 


He created this one all on his own. He cut out the tree and the star and then put the star on top of the tree. We baked it, however, his Nonni (me), forgot about it and it burned. Oops. But it looked cool. 




Our one mishap was that one of the doughs was really thick and I don't know what happened, but it basically broke my mixer attachment. I think possibly it wasn't on correctly. I should have checked. 


Random or not so random things: Since we are going on vacation, I'm trying to get all my online work done, all my shopping done. Trying to get as much done as possible. I probably won't post too much over the next few weeks. I'll get over my FOMO for the sake of my sanity. 


Last Sunday I ran the coffee cart for my daughter at another local winter market. I think I did good. It helped that she had just a few options for people to choose from. 

On Friday, Indy had his Christmas Spectacular, his homeschool co-op program. It was so cute, and he LOVED every minute of it. I'd share photos but I don't have any of just him. When asked how old Jesus was, he said "all the numbers". When asked how old Santa was, he said "he passed away". Later we asked him what made him give that answer and he said "well, I know he's not real so I figured he passed away was a good answer". Ha!!! Though the questions were a surprise to the kids, I think he's been told not to tell kids that Santa isn't real. 

Oh, last Wednesday my daughter didn't work so she and I took the kids to town..we stopped at a vintage market and a few other places. It was a nice day being with them. We also stopped at a Vegan donut shop and the kids were so excited (they can't have dairy). My favorite was the top one with the cream..it was called Portland Fog and was infused with Earl Gray tea. 



I picked up two little Christmas mugs and two books. The one on the bottom is called The Swiss Axemaker. I'm giving it my MIL for Christmas since she's Swiss. I had to grab the top one since my family is Italian. They were written in 1935. 
We stopped at another shop where I had to use up a gift card. I got the items above. 

Not much else to report. We're working extra at work since the holiday season picks up with people shipping things out, and receiving packages. Oh, the photo below was how I started my Friday. I was dumping garbage at work and someone put a sundae cup in there that wasn't empty. I was dumping one garbage into another and it feel out and splattered everywhere. Lol. Thankfully the rest of the day went well, and we got a laugh. 


If I don't post again before Christmas. I wish all of you a MERRRY CHRISTMAS. I have so enjoyed being a part of this community. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Have a great holiday! Great looking cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home-made cookies look so good. Happy belated birthday! Have a wonderful vacation in Mexico. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing to see your kitchen on full on productivity mode! Have a great Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are having the best time on your trip! We have one planned just after the New Year and I fully admit that I am more focused on our trip than I am the holidays. Your cookie baking day sounds like so much fun. We haven't done any baking at all yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard to be focused on more than one thing. lol.

      Delete
  5. When I was in Portland we went to Blue Star donuts. That one was yummy. Which donut place do you recommend?

    Your kitchen looks very lively! I can't wait until I get my kitchen back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We had fun. It's always wonderful once your kitchen is up and running. I actually haven't been to blue star but they are always recommended. I haven't gone to many in Portland. The Doe donuts were good. We have a bakery in the next town over from us that we love.

      Delete
  6. Such a fun post! Happiest (belated) birthday wishes! I hope that your trip is going beautifully!! Soak up all the sunshine! Will look forward to hearing about it sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts