Tuesday Four....After Christmas



After Christmas...


Dec 31, 1949 Mary Petty's art


It's time again for Tuesday 4 hosted by Anne from Cottage by the sea. Published each week in memory of Toni Taddeo, it's original author.We keep Toni Taddeo's original idea alive here with 4 questions each week to get you blogging, visiting and  learning about yourself and other bloggers.   The more people join in, the merrier and the better it gets. We are always looking for topics, subjects and ideas so feel free to chime in if you have ideas. 

Hello Friends and Happy Holidays to you all.   

1. What are you doing New Years Eve and New Year's Day? When we first got married there was a tradition in my hubby's family that on NY Day they got together with another family..they did this for so many years, but then life changes, and that tradition stopped. We don't typically do much, it's been hit and miss over the years..some years we would get together with friends, other years, I sit and watch the countdown by myself...hubby doesn't stay up. This year I think if anyone is home on NYE we'll play some games in the afternoon/early evening and maybe I'll make some wings. New Years Day my inlaws and another friend are coming over and we're going to do Raclette (which is a Swiss comfort meal)...it all made on a raclette griddle...melted cheese, potatoes (baked or boiled), and a variety of meats and veggies that are put on top of the potatoes and covered with the melted cheese. So good. We'll play some games. 


2. Do you have any New Year traditions? Rose Parade? Mummers? Football games or parties? We don't really have any traditions, but we did say it would be fun to get together each NY with whoever could come and make the Swiss Raclette. 

3. Is the day after Christmas a bit of a let down or do you continue to be merry and bright? Depending on what day it falls on, I may have to work. It's not really a letdown. I'm usually pretty tired that day and just want to chill out. I don't go shop the day after...the crowds do not appeal to me. 

4.  Do you have anything in mind for the new year  and do you start off the new year with high hopes and expectations? I usually try to think about what I want to see in the New Year. I usually pick a word of the year (haven't done that yet). I will also choose my book reading goals for the year. 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. We don't usually do much for New Years Eve or New Years day either; in fact I don't think we have ever made it up to midnight in the last 20+ years. This year I'm throwing a birthday party for my mom earlier in the evening on New Years Eve. I typically use the day after Christmas to really start cleaning the whole entire house and tackle all the things I avoided cleaning-wise the whole month of December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby goes to bed. I stay up...people end up lighting off fireworks so it ends up waking me up anyways. A birthday party sounds fun.

      Delete
  2. We never do much for New Year's or New Year's Eve. I am thinking about making some fun food though. We will see. We used to have Christmas with the in-laws on New Year's but we do not do that anymore. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing wings and making some cinnamon rolls for whoever is here.

      Delete
  3. The past few years we have gone out for a nice dinner earlier in the evening on New Year's Eve, then sit up to midnight and go to bed. No parties for us any more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Raclette sounds delicious! We used to "party hardy" on New Year's Eve, but, eventually, transitioned to quiet dinners at our favourite restaurant, followed by prosecco and panettone at midnight in front of the TV. :) My German grandparents threw fabulous parties - some of my fondest memories from the 1960s! The midnight tradition was to melt lead in a pot and the shapes that came out predicted what would happen to you in the future. Nowadays, they use wax or tin. https://www.german-way.com/history-and-culture/holidays-and-celebrations/silvester-new-years-eve-germany/bleigiessen-lead-pouring/

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to as well, especially when we were youth pastors. That tradition of melting lead sounds interesting

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts