Weekend Coffee Share....Come Sit with Me
It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try. I have loved getting to know different bloggers and I figure if they take the time to write a post, I'll find the time to visit, even if it's a week later. I truly enjoy what you all share and I often learn so much.
Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare.
If we were having coffee we might talk about:
The Weather: This week has been a mixed bag, but mostly dry. This next week looks to be the same. Last Saturday through Wednesday my hubby and I were in Leavenworth, Washington. The drive there and the first day was a total downpour. But then we had some nice dry days. Cold, but mostly dry.
What we're thinking about: The last few days I've been thinking about how proud of my girls I am. On Friday my oldest had her coffee cart at one of our local winter markets. She did so good and it's so fun watching your adult children thrive and live out their dreams. Here's her website, but she's most active on Instagram and Facebook. My youngest just redid her photography website and launched it yesterday after working so hard on it. Here's that link if you'd like to take a look.
What we're thankful for: I'm thankful for my girls. No, life isn't always perfect and there are always things I wish I had done differently, but overall, I'm thankful for who they are and the relationship we have. I'm also thankful that while, the last few weeks have somewhat had a hint of feelings of overwhelm with the upcoming events, that for the most part I've been able to push through those feelings. I keep forgetting to do the gratitude journal I bought. I definitely struggle with creating new habits.
Around the house: I'm getting ready to finish decorating for Christmas. Hubby and a friend are going to move things around and set up the tree for me so I can get done. I'm tired of tubs sitting everywhere, but my motivation hasn't been high. We're also having someone up tomorrow to move some dirt and bring in some rock for us as we add some extra parking areas. I'm not sure how I feel about how it will look, but it is what it is for now.
For the love of food: While we were in Leavenworth, we ate some really good food. Did I take any pics? Nope. Completely forgot. Well, except for a few times. The first night we ate at The Loft and we shared their Poutine Fries which were so good, and their steak strips with onion rings. Then, because I really wanted to try a smash burger, we split one of those. That was also very flavorful. The other restaurant we ate at was called the Baren Haus. We shared brat & sausage bites, and then I had a Jaeger Scnitzel and he had a Reuben Sandwich. All were very good. Two nights, we bought stuff for fondue and ate at our airbnb. I enjoyed really good coffees from J5 coffee and Argonaut coffee and biscuits. I had a breakfast sandwich from Argonaut on our way home and it was so good.
We got home Wednesday and I didn't make dinner. Thursday I made some chicken thighs and then Friday hubby brought home tamales. Yesterday we had friends over for dinner and I made a yummy hamburger and vegetable soup, homemade rolls and salad. Again, I forgot to take pictures. Oh well. Today, we'll do some pizza later.
My kombucha is doing good. When I got home I transferred the liquid from the big jar into smaller containers and flavored it. It sat until today when I put it into bottles to go into the fridge. I've started a second batch, and I'm actually getting ready to split my scoby and start a third batch. It's a learning experience to get the flavors where you like it. This first batch tastes good, but the consensus from the main drinkers of Kombucha in our house is that it was a bit sweet, not fizzy enough and could have a bit of a more fermented taste. At least it was still good.
What we're reading or wanting to read: I haven't finished any of the physical or kindle books I've had going. I need to get busy. I read a little bit while we were gone, but I took advantage and finished another blog post from our trip to the NE States last year. Just two more to go. I purchased an Advent Journal to do. I kept going back and forth between several and finally decided to go a different route this year. This is the one I chose.
What we're watching or listening to: I just finished the audio book by Joanna Gaines, The Stories we Tell. I really enjoyed it. I actually have the physical copy so I plan to go through and find the spots I bookmarked and mark them in the book. I have just started the Beth Moore book, and haven't gotten far yet. I'm hoping I like it...I'm struggling with her voice. I think when it comes to audio books, the narrator's voice is so important. While we were gone, we watched a few movies. The Woman in Gold which was based on the true story of a woman trying to reclaim a piece of art after fleeing austria during the time of the nazi's. It was very good. We also watched a cute, yet touching one called Love at First Sight on netflix.
Favorite Quote:
For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.”
~Elie Wiesel
What a beautiful Quote! I love this thought. What about you?
Favorite Photo(s): Kristianna took these photos of the kids last week. SO cute. They're used to their auntie taking their pics so they do such a great job.
Random or not so random things: Let's see, our trip to Leavenworth was fun. I'll share some photos below. We didn't hike like we normally would because my hubby is trying to heal his Plantar Fasciitis. We walked around the main street with shops a few times, and then took some drives, pausing here and there to get out, take pics, etc. On Sunday, we did drive to Wenatchee to the Pybus Public Market. one of the roads we drove down was Icicle Rd. Now, a bit of history. Leavenworth used to be called Icicle Flats. It started as a trading post and then when the railroad came through, it thrived as a timber community. But then the railroad pulled out and it struggled. The community leaders banded together and decided to turn it into a tourist attraction, creating a Bavarian Village and changing it's name. Now it thrives as a tourist destination. It's also popular for hiking, etc. Here's an interesting article.
It is a four hour drive from where we live.
One thing I was really wanting to see, but was afraid I'd miss it were the Larches. Larches are deciduous trees that drop their needles. They go from green to gold and are gorgeous. My photos don't do them justice. But I was excited that there were still so many to behold with my natural eye.
We paused often on Icicle Rd (it is over 16 miles long) to get out and look around. Often able to go down to the water, etc. Our Subaru did great.
The view from the deck of our airbnb! Not too bad.
I spied these paintings on the side of one of the buildings in town.
On the way home, we spied some people pulled off taking pictures. When we looked, we saw a small herd of elk, with HUGE antlers. We turned around so I could get some video and pics.
On Friday I went and hung out with my daughter at a winter market she was taking part in. It was Friday night and all day Saturday. It was fun watching her do her thing. While I was there, my back was itching, and so was my upper shoulder. I didn't think much of it, however, when I got home and was itching a bit more, I looked and realized I had hives on the sides of my legs, my lower stomach, my sides and on my wrists. It was the weirdest thing. I have never had hives, and I have NO idea where they came from. I put hydrocortisone cream on them and some Lavender essential oil. At about 10:30 my hubby went to the store to get some Benadryl. One of the hives on my wrist was so puffy I couldn't even bend my wrist. By Saturday morning they were mostly gone, just faded red and not raised. Still don't know what it was.
I suppose I should get this posted so I don't miss the deadline and so I can get busy decorating.
Kirstin



















Hi Kirstin,
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great getaway, except for that PF your husband was fussing with. I've been there and no - it wasn't any fun for me either.
I loved your photos. Makes me want to do another road trip through your neighborhood. Oh - on that. Do you know your trees? I've tried twice to get my own photos of some Silver Firs, which are native to both Oregon and Washington ( I think ). They play a part in a longer story I wrote almost 2 years ago right in the midst of covid and the big fire that chewed up much of central Oregon's national forests. Both time I failed to find any. I think I'm ready to give up and need to ask around for someone who knows where they are and can point me the right direction.
The kids are adorable - like they were born to charm the camera.
Very strange about those hives and a bit scary how puffy they got. I'm pleased that they faded so quickly, but com'on - what caused them? Not knowing things like this make me crazy.
Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving queued up.
Blessings
I know. I still have no idea what caused them. There was a small part of me that wanted to replay each item I consumed by themselves to see if one of them did it since the reaction wasn't life threatening, but I decided against it. Hmmm..now I want to go on a hunt to find a silver fir tree..I'll let you know if I find any.
DeleteI love that quote too! That food you had in Leavenworth all sounds delicious and I'm glad your getaway was good, except for your husband dealing with PF. I'm so proud of your daughters too! As for audiobooks, I don't do them these days as I can't stand most narrators.
ReplyDeleteThanks Astrid. Narrators are tricky that's for sure.
DeleteI'm glad you had a fun trip to Leavenworth. Beautiful mountainous scenery and how nice to see the elks. Your daughter captured wonderful candid shots of your adorable grands. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.
ReplyDeleteThanks Natalie. We had a great time
DeleteLeavenworth looks really cute! Usually when I go to Washington it's to see family in Seattle. Maybe next time I'll ask them to take us there.
ReplyDeleteIt's a fun trip. Only a few hours from Seattle.
DeleteI've only been to Leavenworth once--right after Christmas, with tons of snow on the ground. It was magical. Crowded, but magical.
ReplyDeleteNow, thanks to your pictures, I want to go back in the fall and hike and explore. It's such a lovely place.
It is magical. I wish we could've hiked more. There's a popular hike called the Enchantments. It's hard and you have to win a lottery I think. I doubt I'd ever do it, but it's stunning. There are gorgeous areas though. something for everyone.
Delete