Taking in Life Around Me.....#Sundaystills Theme: Bridges



This #sundaystills challenge is hosted by Terri from Second Wind LeisureIt's a great themed photography challenge that you'll enjoy. I love seeing the other participants interpretation of the theme each week...it causes me to think outside the box. I joined in hopes of it pushing me to get out and take more photos...I have to some degree, but I also like that Terri is okay with us finding photos in our archives, which is also a lot of fun. So check out my photos and then head over to Terri's page to participate or visit other's posts. There are some awesome contributors who always inspire me.

This weeks theme is bridges. I love bridges, well, for the most part...I am afraid of heights so bridges that are really high, or ones that require walking on but have spaces between the footboards, are in my mind, a bit sketchy, I don't love those as much. It doesn't matter how safe it is...I will fight going on them. 

Bridges in Washington and Oregon: I'm not usually very organized when it comes to my photos and posting, but I'm going to try with this one..starting out with bridges from my local area. 

The Yaquina Bay Bridge is outside of Depoe Bay/Newport, Oregon area. I love the green. I thought I had a photo zoomed out with boats in the marina, but I couldn't find it. It can withstand hurricane force winds during winter storms. 
This foot bridge is at one of the Mt. St. Helens visitor centers. It meanders through some wetlands. 
The Hood River bridge that spans the Columbia River and connects Washington and Oregon is a truss bridge with a vertical lift. White Salmon, Wa is on the other side. This is also a toll bridge. 
The Benson Bridge is teh footbridge that crossed Multnomah Creek between the two falls that make up Multnomah Falls. It was built in 1914 by Simon Benson. 
This bridge is in our town and spans the Lewis River. It is named the Ghost bridge, and while I'm not entirely sure how it got the name, it could be because there have been so many deaths due to people walking on the tracks and getting hit by trains. 

The Astoria-Megler bridge is a 4.1 mile long bridge that spans across the mouth of the Columbia River and the Pacific Ocean. Apparently it it contains the longest continuous three-span through-truss in the world. It was completed in 1966. Fun fact. On Sunday the 8th of October, I will be doing a 10k walk starting on the Washington side, crossing the bridge and ending in Astoria. As I look at this photo I was thinking "wow, ummm I'm going to walk across this bridge? What was I thinking". I'll let you all know how it goes.

One of our favorite vacation spots in Central Oregon is Sunriver. When we are there, we regularly ride our bikes across this bridge called Cardinal Landing Bridge. I believe I read that it's about 50 years old. 

This beautiful bridge is in the area of Moulton Falls. It is a popular swimming spot, and unfortunately many people think it is fun to jump off the bridge into a pool below despite signs telling them not to. In 2018, it made the news when a young lady who was hesitant to jump in was pushed off by another girl and seriously injured. Yet so many still refuse to see the danger. 

Bridges in NYC: I loved our trip to NYC, and while I'm a country girl at heart, I did enjoy the thrill of the big city for the most part. 

I couldn't leave out the Brooklyn Bridge, which we visited in 2017 on our NYC trip. 

Also on our visit to NYC we went to Chelsea Market. This was one of the sky bridges locaked at Chelsea Market. I'm not sure when it was built. 

Bridges in Europe: Oh Europe...you have my heart and I would love to go back someday. 

The bridges that cross the canals in Venice are simple and pretty. Connecting walkways and buildings. From one side to the other. Gondola drivers navigating their boats underneath. So special. 

This sculpture is called Building Bridges. we observed on the boat ride to Burano and Murano. It was created in 2017 by Lorenzo Quinn. This article shows a really neat photo from above. It represents the need to build bridges and overcome differences. Each set of hands represents a different human value like love or wisdom, etc. 

The famous Rialto Bridge in Venice. It is the oldest of four bridges that span th egrand canal in Venice. It has been rebuilt several times since it's first construction in 1173 when it was built as a pontoon bridge. In 1591 it opened with it's new design. 

On to Switzerland. I just love how old the bridges are. I believe this one is called Untertorbrucke. It is a stone arch bridge built in 1461-1489. I believe it was the only bridge in Bern up until the middle of the 19th century. 


The following three photos (above and two below) are the same bridge but different angles. It is the Kirchenfeldbrucke in Bern. Built in 1883. Concrete pillars were added in 1913 for reinforcement. It spans across the Aare River. 


The sky walk in Grindewald was a bit scary. I didn't have photos of that, but I do have a photo of my daughter crossing this "bridge", there was also a tunnel made of the same material. I stayed on the more solid walking area, but even that was a stretch. 

We spied this bridge as we were on a walk in the countryside so I don't know anything about it. 


You can't see this bridge that well, but it is the Three Countries Bridge. It crosses the Rhine between France, Germany and within the Basel, Switzerland metropolitan area. It is the worlds longest single span bridge dedicated exclusively to carrying pedestrians and cyclists. 

Bridges in the New England States: Below is barely a handful of the bridges I photographed on our trip last October (of which I still haven't finished all my blog posts on...uggh). I LOVE covered bridges and we saw quite a few. I also recently learned that Oregon has quite a few and now I feel like I need to take a road trip.

The Baltimore Bridge in Springfield, VT was built in 1870 by Granville Leland and Dennis Allen. It originally crossed over Great Brook, but in 1970 it was moved to its current location. 
A vacant train bridge (vacant as in out of use). I don't remember where this one was. 

Walking through the old covered bridges was fascinating. Just to see how they were originally built and what still remains. 
The Jackson covered bridge is one of the most popular. It's also known as "honeymoon bridge". It got that nickname from the tradition of lovers kissing under it for good luck. It was built in 1876 by Charles Broughton
 
This one was located in Stowe, VT and is called Gold Brook Covered Bridge, also known as Emily's Bridge. It was built in 1844. The bridge is said to be haunted by Emily's ghost. I'm not sure who Emily is...I may need to do some research. 

Woodstock Middle Bridge, in Woodstock, VT. It replaced an 1877 iron bridge that was condemned in 1966. The bridge partially burned in 1974 and was restored in 1976. 

Above and below is the Bath Covered Bridge, In Bath, NH. It was first constructed in 1794. It was demolished in a flood and replaced in 1806. This bridge was destroyed and rebuilt I believe a total of 5 times. WOW! 

I don't remember where this bridge was, I want to say possibly in Maine. I thought it was unique. 
The insides of these bridges are incredibly fascinating. So much of the original structures remain. Many have been reinforced over the years to some degree, but maintain the original integrity. 


The Quechee Covered Bridge in Quechee, VT was originally built in 1970. It was reconstructed in 2011 after the original bridge was destroyed. 

The final bridge in todays post is located in Mystic, CT. Yep, the same Mystic from Mystic Pizza. While we were visiting, they were gearing up for the bridges 100th anniversary. The Mystic River Bascule Bridge was built in 1922. This was an interesting video about the construction. Those counterweights are HUGE!!


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Sorry so late to comment, Kirstin! I couldn't read your post from the link via Jetpack on my phone; now that we're home I can use my computer again. I liked how you organized all the bridges (so many!), showing us the hometown crowd first :) Portland and Vancouver have a ton of bridges don't they? And all different! Of course the European ones are always amazing and so are the covered bridges. Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..no worries Terri.I've been terrible with commenting lately and it drives me nuts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts