Weekend Coffee Share....Come sit with me....


It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try. I have loved getting to know different bloggers and I figure if they take the time to write a post, I'll find the time to visit, even if it's a week later. I truly enjoy what you all share and I often learn so much. 

Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare.

If we were having coffee or tea we'd probably talk about:

The weather: GORGEOUS!!! It is amazing. This week has been in the 70's which is my happy place. I just need to keep remembering to get out and water a few things. 

What we're thinking about: I'm thinking about the importance of telling people what they mean to us, how much they've impacted our lives, while they are still alive, and not waiting until they're gone. I've also been thinking about continually moving forward and refusing to stay "stuck" where we are and what we can't do anything about. 

What we're thankful for: Friends and family...How thankful I am for both. 

Around the house: Let's see, the new steps are finished. They look great. We got two rain chains for the gutters which look nice. I still haven't bought annuals for my pots. I was going to do that today after work but I decided not to. I'll do it another day. 

We have since moved a few potted plants and put some sand around the bottom of the steps for now. I'll share a photo of those later, but I love this space. We're wanting to get some kind of furniture for that part, not sure what though. 


What we're reading or wanting to read: I finished the book Misfire by Tammy Euliano. I really enjoyed it. I now have a few favorite characters and if she continues the series and Aunt Irm dies, I WILL NOT be happy. I'm still working on All Buts Stink.  I had hoped to have it done by the end of May but got waylaid and didn't finish. It's okay, but not a lot of what I don't already know. I started another Kindle book called All He Has Left by Chad Zunk...though I really should try and read another book from my list of books recommended by friends. I am right on track though since I've read 5 so far. I should at least get one started. If you like kindle books, See Mom Click is a great site for free resources. 



It's always interesting with books because what one person loves, another may not, and that's okay, but I always hesitate to recommend books. Anyone else?

What we've watched or listened to: I finished the audiobook One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot, I loved it, even though I wasn't a fan of the narrators.I am over halfway done with Jenna Kutchers book that I mentioned last week, and I'm enjoying that one. The other one I have checked out is by Ed Mylett called The Power of One More. I haven't listened to any podcasts. I did watch the movie A Man Called Otto with Tom Hanks. I didn't realize it was based on the book A Man Called Ove, which I've been wanting to read. The movie was soo good. Yes, I cried. I have never seen the original version of the movie, but now I'm curious. I did notice it wasn't in English (though maybe there's an english version) and I don't enjoy subtitles. 

For the love of food: There were a few nights I didn't make dinner. I met with my book club one night at a restaurant and had a chicken salad. Hubby got pizza one night, and last night because I was busy making a birthday cake, he grabbed a gyro kit from Costco. It was really good. I made Reuben Sandwiches on Tuesday. They turned out so good. I made a loaf of sourdough bread, cooked some corned beef in the instant pot and made a homemade Russian dressing. We used some home saurkraut our friend Danny had made, and added mozzarella cheese before grilling them. They were amazing!!! I used this recipe for the Russian Dressing, which was good, but I had made another one awhile back I liked better, I just couldn't find it. I did add some chopped pickles to this one and a bit more seasoning. I rarely measure seasonings. I made a German Chocolate Cake Friday night for my FIL's birthday. We are having a combined gathering for him and my MIL's birthday. She wanted fondue and he loves that cake. Me, not so much, so I'm always hoping it turns out (2nd time I've made one, but different recipe). I don't like coconut so I never taste that part of the cake. This is the recipe I used this year. It was really easy. 

Not pretty, but so good!!!




A favorite photo(s)

Last weekend we went over to my son in laws family's farm for a bit while Indy rode his dirt bike. They love being down there and so do I. It's always so much fun. 

He had a mishap with his bike and got dirt in the throttle...dad fixed it though. Indy was so cute explaining what happened. He loves learning.
Both kids loved riding the 3 wheeler with auntie, and then the grandpas. 
Someone wants to be like big brother. She'll be riding soon enough. 
My Wednesday mornings of just Pepper and Nonni have ended now that brother is done with school. Now we'll find new fun things to do. She climbed up on this shopping cart return thing by herself and just sat there swinging her legs. So carefree. 
Last day of preschool was last Wednesday and Indy insisted on holding the door for everyone, and then we headed to their local favorite frozen yogurt spot, Sweet Spot. 

On Thursday before the program, my girls spent the aternoon together, I love this mural they found. 
4 of my favorite people in the whole world. 

Random or not so random things:  Last Thursday Indy had his preschool graduation. It was so cute. They did an amazing program and the kids sang lots of songs (using sign language with each one). So special. On Friday they had a BBQ and I think that's when it hit Indy that he was done with school..he was so bummed, he asked his mom if they could just start all over. He loved it. While my girls loved homeschooling, I think Indy will thrive in some type of school setting. I think she's going to do a Kindergarten Co-op at their church. 

I told my daughter that anytime he has a "graduation" they need to remake this photo.

I couldn't find the original picture of this so I took a screen shot. So cute. 

This next week my hubby and I are going north about 2 hours to Anderson Island, Washington...one of his coworkers has a home there and is letting us stay there. It is a more remote island than other islands in the puget sound area. Wi-fi is not strong, and there is one little market, maybe a few eateries (I'm not sure)...but we're looking forward to some time away, doing some hikes, relaxing. I may or may not post next weekend, depending on service and what we're doing. If I don't, I'll be back the following weekend. I do plan to bring my computer so I can do A LOT of deleting of the overabundance of stuff I have on there. 

Yesterday(it's now Sunday), we had about 20 people over for a birthday celebration for my inlaws. It was such a special time of gathering around pots of cheese fondue and honoring their lives. I didn't take many pictures. We hosted outside making good use of our new porch addition. Then we ventured back inside for cake and ice cream. The german chocolate cake I was told, turned out really good. I tasted the cake itself, minus the coconut part and I agree, that part tasted really good. 

Just one of the tables we had set up...my FIL in blue shirt, my MIL to his right...my hubby, daughter and her friend, and the other older gal is a new friend of my MIL's who is 84 and so sweet. I love that no matter what our age, there's room for new friendships. 

These two are 3 weeks apart. They were originally supposed to be born within a day of each other, but JJ decided to come early. Pepper was born close to her due date. 

Gathering inside to share what we appreciate about the birthday couple. Why do we wait until someone's funeral to share everything we loved and appreciated about them. So we did it then.

Well, I may or may not see you next week...otherwise, come back the following week and I"ll update. Off to Portland with my hubby.



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Glad you loved Misfire. I do the odd book review on my blog, but other than that don't usually recommend books either.

    Enjoy your little getaway to Anderson Island next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstin, You have a beautiful family. That mural is cheerful and beautiful. Have a wonderful stay on Anderson island. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat stuff Kristin.
    I love your new porch with the great steps. Very attractive and I bet will be very well used. We have a back porch but it has a gazebo I hate. A previous owner built it himself and he just didn't do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I think gazebos have their place, but like you mentioned, if they're not well built they can become something we don't enjoy.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful time you must be having with family! I hope you enjoy every minute and practice telling them all how much they mean to you <3

    I completely understand about book reviews. I *love them, but I couldn't do it. I wouldn't want to wax poetic about a book someone else hates or the opposite.

    Hope your week ahead is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts