Wednesday Hodgepodge
It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce, who blogs at From This Side of The Pond. Each week she'll pose some questions for us to answer. What a great way to journal life.2. Last time you 'burned the candle at both ends'? Haha..I realized I forgot to answer that. I'm not sure. I actually had to look it up, so it means getting up early and going to bed late in order to get things done. I actually kind of wish I could get up early and go to be later simply because I could get more accomplished, not necessarily "work harder", but perhaps read more, craft more, etc...but I'm definitely more of a morning person especially when it comes to getting things done.
3. Are you someone with the 'gift of gab'? Elaborate (which shouldn't be a problem if you answered yes teehee). I do like to talk...I can do small talk pretty well..in fact my husband likes it when I go to work events with him because I can help carry conversation. He hates small talk. I don't know if I necessarily have the gift of gab but I don't have a problem talking to people. I'll talk to the checkers while they're scanning my groceries. I'll talk to anyone who wants to have a conversation. Sometimes though, I'm tired of talking. I just want to disengage. At times I struggle with deeper conversations because I'm always analyzing what I'm saying and critiquing myself.
4. Do you request a special meal on your birthday, and if so tell us what that meal is? I don't request a special meal, but I do ask each member of the family what they want for dinner and dessert on their birthdays. I guess I don't request one because I'm usually the one who cooks.. Do you want the same kind of cake year after year or will any flavor work? This all has me thinking...has anyone made me a dessert in the last few years? I don't remember...I do know that a few times the girls did make me something...I think I'd request either chocolate cake with buttercream frosting or brownies. Do you want cake at all? I love cake!! Growing up were birthdays a big deal in your house? I don't really remember if they were a big deal. I know I had one surprise party, but I don't remember how old I was and I think I remember being embarrassed. Are they a big deal now? We try to get together just as a family. When the girls were younger, they would invite friends up for their birthday dinner/dessert, but it was low key. We didn't go all out decorating. Every now and then we will throw up some streamers, and have some fun. We did just celebrate my inlaws 76 and 78th birthdays. We had family up and a few friends. We made cheese fondue and Greman Chocolate cake and just enjoyed each other outside.
5. 'Age is just a number.'..agree or disagree? I do agree. Tell us why. I believe that much of life is what we make it and that goes for aging. We can have a line up of people all the same age and every one of them will look different, have a different mindset, have aged differently. Some of it genetics, a lot of it lifestyle and a lot of it they way they view life, life experiences and the thought of aging.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
On Thursday my hubby and I are heading up to Anderson Island, Washington for 4 or 5 days. One of his coworkers has a house there and is letting us stay there. I've never been to this island in the Puget Sound. From what I understand, it is more remote than many of the others. You won't find touristy shops, etc. So it will be interesting. We love being outside hiking an exploring so I know we'll have plenty to do and I plan to bring a book to read, maybe a puzzle or a few games.
I'll babysit kids tomorrow and then spend the rest of the evening getting ready to leave. I'll take them with me grocery shopping. They do a good job.


Losing your mom at 35 is too soon. I feel like those early years of parenting we want their reassurance, wisdom, and just their presence. I'm sure that was so hard. My dad died when I was 32, also far too young.Enjoy your trip to the island. Sounds like a great getaway to me!
ReplyDeleteYes it is...I'm thankful for my amazing mother in law and other women who helped me navigate life. My dad and I weren't always very close so that was hard. He passed away 2 years ago and it is weird not having parents in my life anymore.
DeleteI'm sorry 35 was a rough year for you, losing your mom. :-( That is too young. Your planned vacation sounds wonderful - I think it would be such a treat to spend a little time truly getting away. Have a great time!
ReplyDeleteThank you Kym. I agree..too young. We are on our trip now and it's nice. Raining right now though so it might be a day spent inside.
DeleteOh, what a blow to lose your mother so young! Your attitude about aging is spot-on. (Wish I'd have said that so eloquently.) Wishing y'all a wonderful getaway!
ReplyDeleteIt was hard to lose her. Thank you, it's been a nice getaway so far.
DeleteI would agree that losing a mom at 35 is very hard. I don't think I've heard of Anderson Island. We've been on a few islands but not that one. Enjoy your time!
ReplyDeleteYes, very hard. Anderson Island is one of the southern most islands and not very established for tourists, though I think it does draw many people.
DeleteMaking small talk is a gift for sure. I hate small talk. I will avoid it like the plague. I'm sorry you lost your mom at 35 - that does seem awfully young. Have a good time on your trip.
ReplyDeleteThank you Debby.
Delete