Putting Fingers to Keyboard...#WQ Theme: National Selfie Day



It's another week of  Wednesday Quotes, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQ here

When I saw the theme for this week was National Selfie Day I thought "what? really? What in the world am I going to share?" But like always, I come up with something. 

I was feeling creative one day and took a photo of my eye (trickier than I thought), and added this quote. 

I am going to say that the term "selfie" is just a modern way of saying self portrait, and they're much easier to take now, though getting them to look right may take many, many tries. I'll admit, I'm not always a fan, but sometimes I force myself to do it in order to fight the battle I have with critiquing myself all the time. We're our own worse critics. I will rarely use a filter, unless it's for fun. If I'm going to take a selfie, I want it to look like me. I certainly wouldn't want someone to walk past me because my real life image doesn't reflect my online image. 

I find that when I'm taking a selfie of myself, perhaps it's to show I had a great hair day (which doesn't always happen), or showing the process of my silver grow out, or like above, something I'm doing...helping at my daughters coffee cart. 
Sometimes my hubby drives me nuts with always wanting to take pictures ourselves because I feel like it takes several tries. Haha!

Apparently selfies became a bigger thing after 2003. Before that, according to rangefinderonline.com, they were taken with tripods and timers, using mirrors, or blindly holding the camera up and hoping you were in the frame. Did you know, the first "selfie" as a self portrait was taken by Cornelius in 1839, according to loc.gov. 

Then selfie sticks were invented and you often saw people carrying those around. I don't see them as much anymore, but I think they still have a place because sometimes arms just aren't long enough. 

Taking selfies with the grandkids is always fun...are they still selfies if other people are in them? Hmmm..


I do think selfies can be overdone. Some peoples feeds are simply filled with photos of themselves. Thank the Lord that we don't see as many of the "duck face" selfies, but still, sometimes I laugh when I see some. 

Lately I have been taking a short "boomerang" video on Instagram when I'm out walking. I'm doing it mostly for myself, because I'm finding that I like going back and seeing what I've accomplished, but also I know a few others have been motivated by my goal of 70,000 steps a week. I'm sure some people get annoyed by it but I don't do it for them.  




I thought this quote was good and I believe it is true. Do you? 

I will also often take a selfie with my coffee drinks and tag our local coffee shop!

I really liked the perspective of this quote. I think I agree. There is something about a classic photo taken by someone else. 

How about "nailfies" as the latest one I've heard from many Colorstreet consultants wanting customers to post their nailfies...these aren't colorstreet and were taken years ago, though I do love my colorstreet. 

These are Colorstreet nail strips. I love them because they stay on my nails longer, but my nails sometimes struggle after using them. Weird. 


This quote made me go hmmm....I don't think I agree with it, though I have seen some selfies that would allude to this, so I guess in some cases it might be true to some degree.
I was scrolling through my IG and found several photos of feet/shoes/etc...haha! 

This one I loved because it was my feet with my grandmas feet. 

I do agree with this quote....I do believe that the photos we take reveal something of ourselves, and especially when the photo is of ourselves. Whether it be the look on our face, what it is we are trying to convey comes through in that photo. 

Haha...I walked to the mailbox only to find we had a bunch of packages, so I had to walk home with them all. It's about 1/4 mile from the mailbox to our house. 
Apparently I sometimes photographed the process of coloring my hair! 


I was looking for another photo but came across this one...it was for a photo challenge and the theme that day was self portrait. I don't think I had a smart phone at this time so I used my good ole DSLR.




If you're still here, reading, I'm adding a story that cracked me up. Last night I was helping my daughter at her coffee cart at a youth event at their church. There was a group of three girls standing off to the side of the cart, and one of them was trying to take a selfie...in the midst of her friends (who didn't think twice about it, though it really stood out to me)...she's holding the phone at different angles, pursing her lips, smiling big, whatever....then later had a friend take some pics...I wondered, what the post would be captioned with on whatever platform she posted it on. I wondered why she felt it necessary to take a photo of herself in the midst of all her friends. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Enjoyed seeing all your great photos and reading your perspective on selfies. I think they can be a lot of fun and really do showcase who we are and what we enjoy, but there's also the unfortunate self-seeking of those who overdo it. Loved your nailfies - I remember posting those when I was active in a Colorstreet group on FB. I still love my Colorstreet nails but seldom take photos of them any more. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kym. I do love wearing them but lately it seems that my nails rebel afterward so I haven't worn them in a few months. I need to because I have a few cute sets.

      Delete
  2. I only take a selfie when I come out from the hairdresser, because if it is another one then I can show her what I want ! I am not good in taking selfies, I think my arm is too short when I want two persons on the pictures. I tried it once with a stick I had bought, but it was the wrong one and it didn't work. So I gave up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post, Kirstin. I laughed at all your husband's funny expressions. What a personality he must have! Sometimes I think selfies are the opposite of narcissism because some people are not as comfortable with taking their pictures because they might not look perfect. I think you have to be self-confident and not so concerned about yourself to take selfies. What are duck-faces? I love your boots. I have some just like them and they are the best! :) Your nails are interesting. I just discovered Impress Nails. First time I've done my own. The look great and stay on pretty well. You and your grandkids together make a super cute picture. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts