Taking in Life Around Me.....#SundayStills Water, water everywhere


This #sundaystills challenge is hosted by Terri from Second Wind LeisureIt's a great themed photography challenge that you'll enjoy. I love seeing the other participants interpretation of the theme each week...it causes me to think outside the box. I joined in hopes of it pushing me to get out and take more photos...I have to some degree, but I also like that Terri is okay with us finding photos in our archives, which is also a lot of fun. So check out my photos and then head over to Terri's page to participate or visit other's posts. There are some awesome contributors who always inspire me. 

This weeks theme is water! I have a love/hate relationship with water. I love it, but when it comes to swimming, I don't love it. I've never been a strong swimmer, I don't float well and so I just am always nervous...I wear a life jacket and I will threaten your life if you even THINK of tipping over something I am on! However, I don't let it stop me from going on a boat, or a SUP or anything like that. I also hate getting wet in the rain. Especially PNW rain..it's not nice and warm like other places, it's bone chilling. I know we need the rain for our beautiful scenery and wildfire control, but there's always SO MUCH RAIN! I do however, also find the presence of water soothing and peaceful. I couldn't imagine living somewhere that did not have water that was easily accessible. I think I warned you all last week that I have no self control when it comes to choosing only a few photos...they also may or may not be in order...sorry. 

We have spent many years at the ocean (Pacific). I realize there are many who may never see the ocean. I feel blessed that I've been able to live within a few hours of the beach. On a trip years ago, we stayed in a great location where there were many tide pools and we were able to enjoy anemones, starfish, etc. 
I LOVE waterfalls..small, big, I don't care, I love them all..this is Punchbowl falls on a hike in 2012 (wow..doesn't seem that long ago I was there). In 2017 this area was devastated by a wildfire. I wrote about it here. They have since reopened the trail but it was a couple years later. 
In 2013 my entire family wanted to do a white water raft trip. I was VERY hesitant but I also had FOMO! I didn't want to let my fear of water keep me from enjoying something with them, so I did. I think I shared this a week or two ago...I don't remember. Anyways, I instructed the guide to put me in a safe place and DO NOT tip this raft (obviously he can't always control that final request). He did a great job, we had a blast and we're all alive. The photo above was after one of either fell in or jumped in. At one point he let us get out if we wanted. 

My youngest "riding the bull". No thank you!! This girl is willing to try anything. I think my oldest did it as well as two other guys. 

I grew up with these falls in my "backyard". Snoqualmie Falls is very well known. It is almost twice as high as Niagra Falls. In the rainy season, the falls will expand in width and it is a sight to behold. According to the City of Snoqualmie, the falls are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the falls are a site of natural, historic, and cultural convergence.
Short Sand Beach on the Oregon coast is a beautiful little spot just a short hike from the main road. 
When we visited here in 2016 (Short Sand Beach), there were several people surfing. Smugglers cove has become one of Oregons most popular spots for surfing and boogie boarding because it's protected from heavy weather. Read more about it here. 

Munson Creek Falls in Tillamook, Oregon was a beautiful and a fairly short hike. We couldn't get too close because there was too much blocking the path in a few areas. 
There are so many amazing water sports to participate in here in the PNW. On a trip to Hood River, Oregon, my hubby and youngest daughter rented a jet ski and had a blast on the water. It's also one of the kite boarding capitals in the world. On windy days, there are hundreds and hundreds of people on the water. 

I've only been on an SUP once, and I loved it! I was nervous at first but was very proud of myself. I've always had good balance so once I got up, I wasn't too nervous about staying up. My legs have always been strong. 

One of the things we enjoy doing when we go to Sunriver is to Kayak. We're excited when the houses we rent have them, otherwise we often will rent them. We enjoy kayaking on the Sun and Spring River. 
Waterfalls are one of my many happy places. There is just something amazing about them. This one is Moulton Falls and is just a short drive from our house. 
The canals of Venice were certainly a sight to behold. 

The beautiful puget sound is stunning. A trip to Orcas Island was so enjoyable and restful. If you get a chance to go and visit, go do it. 

A trip to Sunriver in 2013 along the deschutes river...I had fun with this filter or whatever it was...I don't even remember. 
Paulina Lake from the top of Paulina Peak. 
Benham Falls is also another place we always visit when in Central Oregon. It's a beautiful hike or bike ride (we've done both). 

Getting to experience the East Coast Atlantic ocean and waters during our October trip to the NE States was so fun. 



We grew up on the water with my dad, fishing in lakes and rivers. He loved being on the water. 
Summer is a time for kiddie pools and letting littles get you wet!!!
These next photos are from the flood of 1996 that hit our small town...I sent them to my computer before I cropped them and then didn't feel like it..lol. I remember waking up one morning, looking out the window and telling my husband that the field was flooded. At the time, we lived on our church property in a single wide trailer. I was trying to find an article or Youtube video but haven't been successful. The above photo is the taken from a bridge over the Lewis River. Between those trees and the buildings is an RV park. Thankfully they were able to be moved. The buildings are businesses and the main road through town. This part of town didn't flood, but just about 1/2 mile past this a seawall was put up, and beyond that is where most of the flooding occurred. Our churches property went along the river. Our oldest daughter was just 2 1/2 months old. 
This was the field. The river in the background and beyond that is I-5 freeway.
This was a shed at the back of our property. My hubby probably took this from our porch. We had friends on the other side of town who we went and stayed with for about 3 or 4 days until the water receded enough and we had a company come in and clean our air ducts from under our trailer. 
As the water rose, it eventually reached the roof of the shed. My hubby went back with a friend and put up everything important, and took some things out. It was a scary time. 

The water came within an inch of going inside our home and several feet from going into the church building. Phew. This was looking towards our house from the road. Rain, snow melt and if I remember correctly, they let out a lot of water from the dam upriver. 

Our trip to Ohio was such an amazing vacation and so low key. My grandson who is 4 1/2 still talks about it and wants to go back. 

I don't know how far out they could walk, but it was pretty amazing. the girls in the background were still standing, though it was probably to their shoulders. They loved it and the water was nice and warm. 
The kids were in heaven. They would've lived at the water all day every day!




With Joy Unquenchable,

Kirstin

Comments

  1. Hi Kirstin! You have shown us the power and the peacefulness of water in many situations! Sorry to read about the flooding so long ago. But you have had so many adventures on the water for someone who is a little apprehensive. Your daughters get their sense of adventure from you! Hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri...it was a crazy time for sure. I've always tried to not project my fears or apprehension onto my girls, and I think I've succeeded.

      Delete
  2. You live in a beautiful place! I was in Oregon - barely - for a vacation. We rented a vacation home in Brookings that overlooked the ocean. I remember watching the seal sun themselves on the rocks. Coming from southern CA (where I was raised), I found the rocky coast beautiful and fascinating. I admire you for not letting your fears hold you back. That rafting experience must have been wild.

    Fun post!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts