Putting Fingers to Keyboard....#WQ Theme: Honorable


It's another week of  Wednesday Quotes, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQ here

This weeks theme is honorable, or honourable....however you chose to spell it. 

Honorable = Upright, honest, just, conscientious, scrupulous, having or showing a strict regard for what is morally right. (Merriam-Webster) 

One of the things I've always tried to teach my girls in the years that we were in church leadership is that, yes, some people hold more public positions (speakers, worship leaders, pastors, whoever) but they aren't any more worthy of being honored than the person who is the janitor, the usher, etc. I believe that paved a way for them to show honor to all people regardless of who they were. 



There are obvious ways that people are publicly shown honor and they are all good and right, but how do we show honor to people in simple ways, every day? Because it is not just a select few who deserve honor. Here are just a few ideas below. 

*pay a compliment
*Be patient
*Ask questions to understand their point of view
*Celebrate accomplishments
*Cheer them on
*Treat them with respect and dignity
*Do not gossip or speak ill of someone
*Pick up the tab
*Be generous

 

How do we show honor to ourselves? Or how are ways we are seen as an honorable person?

*Learning to say no. We don't have to say yes to everything.
*Realizing our own value and worth.
*Taking time for self care.
*Being a person of our word
*Not being a gossip
*Showing ourselves as much love and kindness as we show others.
*Not being a doormat for others
*Give yourself grace
*Be trustworty
*Being honest
*Working hard
*Serving others unconditionally


I love that "always be awesome"!!! 

I love hosting people in our home, I always have. It has been many, many years since I have hosted a main holiday meal in our home (I joke that i don't know if I remember how to), why? Because my MIL loves to do it. I show her honor by not complaining about never hosting. I show her honor by allowing her to do the thing she loves (that I also love) and asking what I can contribute. I'll have many more years to do this in our home. I show my FIL honor by asking for his help with things around our home because we know he gets joy and value out of it. He likes to feel useful. 


Oh, that's a good one...I read in a book once that we honor people not because of who they are, but because of who you are! 


I think I saw that Marsha actually shared this same quote. I'm not sure that our purpose isn't to be happy...there's certainly nothing wrong with that, in fact I think par of living well is being happy and having joy in our lives and giving joy to others. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Well said, Kirstin. Being honorable usually does make us happy - at least inside. I love the Bill Johnson quote. I was just telling Cindy Georgekas that I don't take unsolicited requests for book reviews any more because I stumble over what the book is not. I'd rather pick the books I review. If the author is dead, it doesn't bother me to be honest about the things I don't like, but live, struggling authors are a different matter. I love how you followed up that quote with the permission we have to give ourselves to say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha! Sometimes I think I'd enjoy doing book reviews, but then I'm not sure how I would write it and like you said, I'd have a hard time being totally honest. lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts