Putting Fingers to Keyboard.....#WQ Theme: Heritage/International Museum Day



It's another week of  Wednesday Quotes, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQ here

This weeks theme is heritage/International Museum Day.


According to Wikipedia 
International Museum Day is an international day held annually on or around 18 May, coordinated by the International Council of Museums. The event highlights a specific theme which changes every year reflecting a relevant theme or issue facing museums internationally.

This years theme focuses on sustainability and well being. You can read more about it here

The term heritage can mean a variety of things and I found some great definitions online.

Heritage is the full range of our inherited traditions, monuments, objects, and culture. Most important, it is the range of contemporary activities, meanings, and behaviors that we draw from them. Heritage includes, but is much more than preserving, excavating, displaying, or restoring a collection of old things. UMass.edu

Ancestry refers to a person's ethnic origin or descent, "roots," or heritage, or the place of birth of the person or the person's parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States Census.gov

Examples of cultural heritage include tangible assets such as visual art, food, clothing, and styles of architecture along with intangible assets such as legends, music, and values like generosity or respect study.com
I found all of those so interesting and probably moreso because I'm fascinated with where I came from, my family's heritage. I find that the word heritage and International museum day can also go hand in hand if we're willing to visit museums that speak of history. Those are my favorite, historical museums, ones that tell the story of a community, country, group of people. Enjoy the quotes and photos I gathered. I always comment about the photos underneath them. 
On our trip to the east coast we enjoyed some great stops, one of them being to one of the local Maple Farms. The above two photos chronicled some of their journey as Maple Syrup farmers. So fascinating. 
Another fun find was an antique toy museum in Queechee, VT, down the road from where we were staying. Filled with memorabilia from I believe pre-1950's through the early 2000's. It was such a fun trip down memory lane. While not "historical", is was nostalgic and brought back such fun memories. I took quite a few video. If you visit my FB page (Kirstin Bozich Troyer) and find my anniversary trip album, you can probably find them there. 


My maternal great grandfathers family. My mother's side of the family is Italian, My dads side of the family is Slavik...unfortunately I don't have a lot of photos of my dads family. 



My maternal great, great grandmother (Nonna) on the right. She passed away not long after I was born I believe. I can't remember. 
I love these two cards, written in Italian. I don't know what they say, but it was so fun to see them. 


I wish more than anything that when my grandparents and great grandparents were still alive, that I had taken more time to learn, ask questions about our heritage. 

In September of last year, I visited the Ft. Vancouver Historical Site with Marsha and Terri. What a great day we had. So many fascinating things to see and do and learn. 
The Vermont Historical Museum in Montpelier, VT was interesting. Above are a few screenshots I took from video, below is the outside of the building. We got there about 20. minutes before they closed, so we didn't have much time to look around. Learning about places we visit is so fascinating to me. I loved how this was divided into "rooms" depicting the way of life throughout history.



I love this quote. I believe it sums it all up don't you? While I love galleries and art, I much prefer museums. We have visited a large space and aircraft museum in Ohio, a few air museums in Oregon that were fascinating. 

My youngest daughter and her friend on our trip to the Tillamook Air Museum on a beach trip in 2016.


Tillamook Air Museum. Not a fancy place, but a lot of neat old aircraft and history to be learned. 

My moms side of the family has a rich heritage. Family was important. I love looking at old photos. I'm considering getting the top picture enlarged to put in my kitchen. 

Family Reunion from my moms side of the family...This would be her moms family reunion. That's A LOT of people. 

While I don't have much from my dads side, I did find the above article. I'm the little girl. And the photos below as well. I believe the first one is maybe my great grandmother, and the bottom one would be a great aunt. 
I love that cooking was a common theme in family's. 





With Joy UnQuencable,
Kirstin

With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts