Taking in Life Around Me.....#Sundaystills...Theme: Seeking Light



This #sundaystills challenge is hosted by Terri from Second Wind LeisureIt's a great themed photography challenge that you'll enjoy. I love seeing the other participants interpretation of the theme each week...it causes me to think outside the box. I joined in hopes of it pushing me to get out and take more photos...I have to some degree, but I also like that Terri is okay with us finding photos in our archives, which is also a lot of fun. So check out my photos and then head over to Terri's page to participate or visit other's posts. There are some awesome contributors who always inspire me.

This weeks theme is Seeking light. Oh I am definitely a seeker of light. Like many, I thrive on light (but have no desire to move out of the PNW), the winter and often the spring months are devoid of a lot of sun. Sure it's light outside, but the sun is sparse. Sometimes fall can be this way too. I've always said I couldn't live in Alaska when it is dark for so long. I don't think I suffer from SAD, but I certainly prefer light over dark. Last night as I drove down to town at 5:30 I was a bit excited that it was only just then starting to get dark. I don't even like to go to stores in the dark, but come summer it's nothing to go to the store at 7pm. 

Some people keep all the lights off in their homes even if they're in the room watching TV...I need lights on. I love our covered porches, but their one negative trait is that they don't let much sun and light in through the windows. 

Like I said above, I love the PNW landscape enough that I don't have a desire at the moment to move somewhere sunnier more often, but I have found ways to combat it. I keep lights on in the house, I do things that make me feel cozy. At work, we keep our Christmas icicle lights up as long as we can just to make it brighter. 

I also love a sunrise and a sunset, I will chase them, wake up for them, enjoy them. Our home is in a bit of a hole, surrounded by trees that usually block either of these so I definitely have to go look for them. I catch a glimpse of them, but not their fullness.

Sun peaking through the trees during a hike. The skies were a bit smoky this day but the sun still found a way through. 

Sunset over Puget Sound. I loved this Airbnb that overlooked the water. 


I love how bright snow makes everything and when the sun breaks through, it's even better. This was last year. 

The sun trying to break through clouds over our local lake.

Who doesn't love a beach sunset!!! 

I also love sitting by the light of a fire (real or gas...haha)

One of my husbands splurges in the new part of our house are these lumary lights...they run on an app, and you can change colors, etc...personally I just like variations on white..but everyone else loves the different colors. 

I've often wondered what it would be like to live in more primitive times, before electricity...When visiting Ft. Vancouver with Terri and Marsha, the sun came through this window and cast beautiful light into the room. 

The Old Stone Church in Kennebunkport, ME was so pretty, and the stained glass windows were stunning. 

One of our local fields late afternoon. 

I always love when the sun shines through the trees on our hill. It's so pretty.


Another snowy pic with the sun coming through...the pic earlier was our front yard, this is part of our backyard.

The Lewis River with the sun rising above it. 
The other day I caught the sun peaking through my door...I said above, having covered porches doesn't let in a lot of natural light, but every now and then I get a surprise. 

Do you think these various butterflies and moths in the "nursery" at the butterfly conservatory in Massachusetts are seeking the light outside their cocoons?

My shadow Sunday morning during my morning walk with my hubby. 

Part of the way that helps me when it's darker and dreary is to have little lights here and there. I don't have many, but that little one on the secretary desk I got for my birthday and I love it. I'd like to get a few more. 

Before we moved into this part of the house, I walked in one morning and saw the sunlight...it made me so happy. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Kirstin, as a true light seeker you have expertly captured light in every photograph! I can't even pick a favorite! Wow! But that very first one of the light coming through the trees is amazing! I agree that I wouldn't leave the PNW (Inland NW where I am)--I can't imagine going back to suburbia and traffic and stressed-out people. I will find light where I can and enjoy the journey! Once again, fab photos, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri. When we were in the NE States traveling through small towns, we did say that we could also live in that area...

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your take on the prompt, Kirstin. A really lovely selection...the snowy photos and the misty lake are particularly beautiful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts