#WQW....Theme: Water: Lakes

It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQW here.

This weeks theme is lakes. Very timely since in 2 weeks we will be on the shores of Lake Erie enjoying time with family. I am thankful that we live near several lakes and have the privilege of enjoying them on a regular basis. We've also gotten to enjoy a few lakes abroad. Lake Como in Italy and then a few in Switzerland. 

Sunset on the shores of Lake Erie with the Marblehead lighthouse in the background.

Did you know that almost all the lakes in Texas are man-made? I didn't know that until my daughter and son in law lived there for awhile and someone local told them. Washington state (where I live) has over 8,000 lakes. I tried to see how many were man-made but couldn't pin point an exact number. I do however, feel like the majority are natural or altered slightly by a dam being built in them. 

Growing up we spent a lot of time at lakes since my dad loved to fish. We weren't big on swimming, but we fished quite a bit. 

One of our local lakes about 5 minutes from my daughters house. Lake Sacajawea. Apparently you can put small boats, kayaks and canoes in it though I've never seen any, and it has an amazing walking path all the way around and fun play structures. It's about a 3.5 mile walk around it. You can read some interesting articles here and here about the lake.
The above and below photos were taken in fall. It is stunning in the fall. This whole area is over 100 years old with gorgeous old trees lining the road and old homes on surrounding streets. Unfortunately for all it's beauty, it has become an area of increased crime etc.



One thing I love about #WQW is that I find some amazing quotes that give me food for thought.

On our trip to Sunriver last year we took a hike up Paulina Peak. Then we drove to another overlook and you can see Paulina Lake in the distance. Such a beautiful area. 





At our local lake right before we did a cold plunge in January...see the snow on the ground. Brrr.



Ahh how good is this. If we're running and running and going and going, we will not have time to reflect, to process, to heal, to pause and think, and enjoy the journey. I have known people who have gone through some hard things, their way of coping was to stay busy so they didn't have to mentally and emotionally deal with all that had happened. 

Lacamas lake on a clear spring day. I think that's Mt. Hood or it could be Mt. Adams. I get them all confused



I love this paraphrase of part of one of the Psalms. It also brings to mind when Simba from The Lion King looks in the water and sees his reflection and his father appears and says "remember who you are". 

My dad fishing on what I believe is Lake Sammamish in Issaquah, Washington many years ago. I've been thinking of having this one enlarged to put in a frame.



Yes!!!! Great reminder...be happy with who we are at our core. There are things I just am not going to be and that's okay. 

Battleground Lake is stunning in the fall. I've never visited it during other seasons, but I should. 

Round Lake in Camas, Washington. My hubby and I took a hike around this a few weeks ago and it was beautiful. I shared about it in one of my recent Weekend Coffee Shares.



Ahh yes..as much as I love visiting a city, a lake is a balm to my soul. 

Lake Como in Como Italy. Our Airbnb had a great view and we enjoyed watching a storm our first evening there. 

Lake Geneva and the Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Lake Thun in Swizerland. Such a beautiful lake. I was trying to find a photo my daughter had but I couldn't find it. 

This was one of them but not the one I was looking for. Stunning waters. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your photos of lakes. I remember staying at a lake in a cabin as a child. When it comes to bodies of water, I love the ocean but lakes are right up there! Water is so calming. The photo with the mountain in the background - that looks like Mt. Hood. I lived near there many years ago. Can't be totally sure though!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree with lakes and oceans but I also love walking along a river or rushing creek. Yah, I get them mixed up. Depending on where you're at you can see Mt. St helens, Mt. Hood and Mt Adams.

      Delete
  2. Kirstin, There's so much to say about this post. First, before I forget, the mountain you see from Lacamas Lake is Mt. Hood. I thought it was, but I checked. I love the quote, "Not every lake dreams of being an ocean..." I can identify with that as a person. I like being a little lake or a creek rather than a Mississippi River. Your fall pictures are like magazine covers. You should frame them while you're at it. :) Beautiful post, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I love quotes that make me really think and ones that I feel I can relate to in life...this one is so true especially in an age of social media! I just want to be content being me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts