10 on the 10th: Good Sports





It's time for 10 on the 10th. Leslie from Once Upon a Time and Happily Ever After is back and co-hosting again with Marsha from Marsha in the middle

This month we're sharing a bit about sports! Gail from Is this Mutton came up with the questions. Without further ado, here are the questions and my answers. 

Sports were really not a part of my growing up years, though we did watch football. I was in the pep band and on the drill/dance teams so I attended every home football and basketball game, and enjoyed them. When we got married, my hubby was involved in the Fantasy Football League for years and he really enjoys watching all sorts of sports. I can usually take it or leave it, unless it's soccer. 

We started our girls in soccer when they were 4 and it just stuck with them so it became our preferred sport. Our oldest did play golf in HS too.


1. Were you good at sports at school? I didn't play sports in school. I don't know why. Maybe because none of my friends did. I was in band, and on the drill and dance teams. However, looking back, if I did play sports, I think I would've been great at soccer, track, and if Crossfit were popular then, I would've done that.

2. What are you 3 favorite sports to watch on TV? Soccer, sometimes football, different Olympic sports.

3. Do you regularly watch any live sports? Live as in person, or as they're happening on TV? Soccer would be the main one I've watched live in the stadiums and I watch weekly on TV. We live on the edge of Oregon so the Portland timbers are the team we root for and have attended many games. 

4. Does the Olympic medal ceremony make you emotional your country wins? I'm not sure it's the winning of the medal that makes me emotional or the music they play, the videos they show, etc. 

5. what sport or fitness activities do you enjoy now? Well, I workout at home and I do enjoy the kinds of workouts we do. I love walking and hiking and bike riding for fitness activities even though I don't do those as often as I'd like. 

6. Did you ever have a sporting hero who was your pinup? Nope, mine were singers.

7. What's the most memorable sporting occasion you can remember? We still talk about when the Timbers won the MLS cup...and then of course any of my daughters games, playoffs or tournaments were always memorable and fun. 

8. Is anyone in your family outstanding at sport? My oldest daughter played soccer and golf. She was good at both. She made it to state for golf several years. My youngest played and excelled at soccer. She currently holds all the records for soccer at the local HS. She could've played in college but was a bit burned out and wanted to pursue other things. 

My youngest was always small but mighty...in the papers she was called a "pocketsized playmaker". One of the records she held was for most goals scored but also most assists...she was a team player. 
Our oldest took up golf her freshman year and turned out to be good at it. She loved it. In October 2012 she tore her ACL in a soccer game. She had surgery in November and thankfully was able to play golf the following spring and soccer for her Sr. year. She pushed through and had an amazing recovery. She was always cool, calm and collected on the field or the green.

We used to tease her that she had a robo leg since her acl brace was yellow! 

I truly feel that sports played a huge role in who my girls are today. They learned discipline, teamwork, confidence. They had amazing coaches and we were at every game and tournament. I think we only missed a few. My inlaws came to every game they could. We were all involved. I took photos of their club and HS games and my hubby coached them both for several years. Sports aren't for everyone, but they can be a great tool for many. 


9. Name 3 sports you try to avoid on TV. I don't know that I try to avoid any, but my least faves are basketball, football and MMA fighting

10. Who's the sports personality you most admire in 2022? I don't know that I have one. I think any athlete that works hard on and off the field, stands up for what they believe, is not a "dirty" player, makes time for fans..I'm sure if I really thought about it, I could think of or find someone. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. So fun to see these photos of your girls! They sound like they were real wonderful players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. They were fun to watch. I miss those days sometimes

      Delete
  2. What great school sports careers for your daughters! I have read that as well, that sports can be so good for a person while they are growing up, besides the obvious health reasons. It sounds like they both were amazing players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. it was fun to watch them play. They did get plenty of bumps and bruises, and unfortunately one surgery but always were troopers.

      Delete
  3. This was a really great read! You must be so proud of your girls. There really is so much to gain in life lessons that translate from sports into regular adult life. I absolutely love that the newspapers called your daughter the pocketsized playmaker. That is so adorable!

    Shelbee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We got a laugh out of that. She was 5'2 and fast and tough. She didn't let other girls push her around.

      Delete
  4. You must be very proud of those sporty daughters. I love the description "pocket sized playmaker". Thanks for taking part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. They were fun to watch. I miss those days sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Great photos of your family athletes. I am sure it was a lot of fun watching them play. Chuckled at the robo leg. We say that Paul's over 50 baseball team is half human and half bionic with all the metal replacement parts the players have...hips, shoulders, elbows, knees.
    Glad you could join us for 10 on the 10th. I hope to get back to some normal blogging in the near future. Just been one thing after another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Leslie! I loved watching them. Too funny about all the "metal". Hugs to you Leslie...sometimes we need some normalcy in the midst of chaos and heartache, but you also have to do what you feel you need to do.

      Delete
  6. I wanted my daughter to play soccer too and she refuses but it's lowkey a favoriote of mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest is pretty stubborn. We wanted her to do track and she wouldn't do it...the HS coaches approached her several times but she said no...haha. She is fast and she would've been really good too.

      Delete
  7. My, your girls really were good athletes! Way to go....and loved the photos! If you would have enjoyed Crossfit - you must be rather athletic yourself:) You just chose the band!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They loved it and even played some indoor soccer in between everything and once they graduated. I was always strong and muscular, but in HS that was something to be teased about, even though I was slim, it really played a part in my confidence. I wish I would've had someone help me embrace my strengths. I think I would've been good at track (short distance), and soccer. BUt I love band and drill team.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts