#WQW.....Theme: Senses/Hearing




It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQW here.

This weeks theme is around our senses, this time the sense of hearing. 

Hearing = the process, function, or power of perceiving sound. opportunity to be heard, to present one's side or to be generally known or appreciated. 


Hearing is such an important sense, and yet many function completely without it, or use the aid of devices. I know many who use hearing aids. During Covid I also know many who struggled because they were deaf enough that they relied heavily on reading lips and being made to wear masks was extremely difficult for them. When people came into our business and they were deaf, both parties removed masks to make communicating possible. My mother in law now relies on a hearing aid and we have experienced her enjoyment of them, and the frustration especially of trying to adapt to them. She also will turn them off or take them out when she just wants silence. I can imagine. It would be hard to have something stuck in my ear all the time. My great grandpa was hard of hearing and we always had to yell when we talked to him. A month or so ago, my husband had a kind of head cold and his ears plugged. They were plugged and ringing for several weeks and drove him crazy! I don't like when my ears are plugged and everything sounds like it's in a tunnel and I can hear my own voice. 

I also read a longer quote as I was searching that said "hearing loss very often is such a gradual phenomenon that the person is in denial. You really have to be patient with them in getting them to come forward to get help." Marion Ross. I thought that was so interesting and probably so true! 

This morning when I woke up I was hearing the birds singing outside. It was music to my ears. I love the sounds of nature around me. I love the sound of music, laughter, waterfalls, creeks and rivers. Waves crashing! The wind through the trees, the rain on the roof. This theme makes me pause to take time to appreciate the gift of our senses, remembering so many that do not get to experience these things. Sure there are sounds I wish I could tune out, but man. I want my hearing as long as I can! 

Here are some awesome quotes that I loved. 






A lot of food for thought in those quotes. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. These are great quotes. I'm so glad you aren't having to live with deafness full time. Even having your ears plugged like when you go up mountains is weird for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts