Weekend Coffee Share.....Come Sit with Me



It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try. I have loved getting to know different bloggers and I figure if they take the time to write a post, I'll find the time to visit, even if it's a week later. 

If we were having coffee we'd probably talk about:

The Weather: Well, we are certainly in summer mode here in the SW region of Washington state. It has been steadily in the upper 70's to mid 80's and next week we may hit upper 90's. Yuck...but I will not complain more than that. I have AC practically everywhere I need to go and I can go outside when the temps are a bit lower. 

What we're thinking about: Today marks one year since my dad passed away. It's been an interesting journey, but isn't death and grief always that way. We all process differently depending on the depth of relationship we had with the person who left us. There were really rough times growing up with my dad but there were also really good times and I loved him and I know he loved us, so we were close, but not close in many regards. We saw things very differently, but as I got older I learned to take the relationship for what it was, to forgive the past and move forward. Over the last 2-3 years we talked almost every day, even just for a few minutes. When he passed away, my friend Monika shared this thought with me, and I loved it: "Death can be a holy moment in the midst of all the awfully painful parts". I've been thinking about how I wish some family relationships could be healed, but I'm not sure that can happen, at least to the degree I wish it could. So today I've thought about him. I'm thinking I might bake something this weekend that he might have enjoyed eating.

What we're thankful for: Safe travels for my youngest. Kristianna traveled last Monday to San Jose, Costa Rica, specifically I believe in the district of Pavas. A group from their church is there with a non profit called This Mission. The heart of This Mission in Costa Rica is helping those who have been rescued out of sex trafficking and prostitution. They work with groups who have safe houses and are opening a home for girls who have aged out of those safe houses. I can't wait to hear her stories. I'm thankful she embraces where she's at in life. She loves to travel. 

Check out this picture she shared...they are having time to explore the area and this was at the Startbucks Coffee Farm. She shared video of the inside and wow...it's cool. This view is off a deck of the Starbucks. Here is the website for the farm. 


 

What we're reading or wanting to read: Still reading the same things I've been reading. The book by Kristina Kuzmic, hold on but don't hold still, has so many great little nuggets in it. I have so many things marked with my page darts, and I'm hardly that far into it. I may need to buy more page darts. The fiction one I'm reading, Ever Faithful, is also getting good. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get into a book. I also just ordered an ebook for travel photography. I hope it's good. 

Around the house: My blueberries are going crazy. Like...seriously so many on the bushes. I need to get out there every day and get them picked. Last year I got about 10 gallon sized bags full of them. I think I can probably get that many if not more this year. So far I've gotten two gallons. Some of them are HUGE...but even the small ones can be especially sweet. It's often hard to tell which are ripe but my rule of thumb is if I gently tug at them, they're ready. It is a pretty good rule most of the time, but not always.




We decided we wanted to extend our porch a little further out in one section. We've started building it up but not quite ready for concrete. Eventually we will do a retaining wall around the whole thing. 




From the kitchen: I kept it pretty simple since it was just hubby and I so nothing special and nothing new. I am going to try making a dairy free blueberry cobbler today since I'll be watching my grandkids and they'll think that's fun. 

Last Saturday we had my grandsons birthday. We were going to leave our house at 10:00 to head to their house early. I got a call a little after 9:00. It was my daughter saying she tried making some GF/DF cupcakes twice and they failed...could I find a recipe that might work. Well, I knew by the time I looked for recipes, we'd be shorter on time. I told her I had a really good vegan cake recipe and while I never have made it Gluten free, I did have some all purpose GF flour and I could try it...it comes together quickly. So I grabbed what I needed, made them, praying they'd work. They did! Phew. And we were still out the door and to their house in record time. 

Favorite quote from the week: This weeks theme for #WQW was pets/animals. We don't have pets anymore, but I still participated. Here's my post.

We could all probably stand to live like this don't you agree. 



Favorite photo of the week: The first photo is when the kids were up at our house last weekend. I just loved Peppers outfit and her little face. Don't let that sweet face fool you...she's a stinker! She figured out how work a squirt gun and was squirting her Poppi! 

Indiana turned 4 on the 12th and we celebrated his birthday last Saturday. He was so excited to see everyone come, he was so thankful and excited about each gift. He took time to open every card and look at it. Yes, he can be a stinker too, but he does have the sweetest heart. 



My nephews fiancee made his cake. It is always a bit challenging because he and his sister cannot have dairy so finding a cake that works, can be hard. But she did great and they tasted awesome. 


Randomness: Tuesday I had to go get a filling. I needed to work at 10:00. I figured I'd make my appointment for 7:00. It was supposed to be 30 minutes so I assumed I'd be completely un-numbed by 10:00. I was out of the dentist by 7:30, but it took a bit longer than I thought to be completely un-numb. It was fine for the most part, but I did find certain things were harder to say. Oh, well...the customers thought it was funny and it did eventually wear off. 

We've been slowly working on our New England state trip. We have most of our reservations made which I'm glad. Now we just need to decide things we want to see and do and rent a car. We have been using the app Roadtrippers to plan the trip. We've found it to be pretty helpful.

We have also been empty nesters this last week. Our youngest is off in Costa Rica until this Wednesday and our friend who lives with us has been gone as well. He came home last night, but then left again today for the week. 

I've been trying to start up Duolingo again, and was consistent for a few days and then haven't done it again. I'll keep at it until it becomes a habit. 

We have grandkids all day today (Saturday). I have cleaned and filled their little pool. I plan to go to a few garage sales and maybe a park this morning. 

Oh I also was reading this online post about dealing with the anonymous comment issue (where almost all my commenters were showing up as anonymous). I thought maybe it was blogger issue, but the author said it has to do with cookies...I need to sit and focus on it because it went in one "eye and out the other"? since I was reading and not listening haha. She was using firefox in her description and I use Chrome. 

Have a great week everyone. 



Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Oooh, pass me some of your blueberries please! I love them!

    I'm so sorry about the anniversary of your Dad's passing, but it sounds like you're able to process it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many blueberries, I'd gladly share. Thank you Astrid.

      Delete
  2. Kirstin, Thank you for your weekend coffee share. The blueberries and birthday cake look amazing. I hope you have a fun-filled weekend with your adorable grandkids and a wonderful week next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirstin - that's a LOT of blueberries! I'm also having issues with the Anonymous comment thing - but it seems to be from people using Safari and that's always caused issues with Blogger for some reason. I'm just hoping people will remember to put their name at the end of the comment and then it's fine (I know who most of them are!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I need to remember to do that just in case it happens when I comment on people posts. Sometimes now I can figure out who it is, but not always.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kirstin, wow on those blue berries. I go through a lot of them, but your pile looks overwhelming to me. in your place, I'd be adding them to everything.
    The deck extension looks like a huge job. You guys must have endless energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freeze the majority of them and we use them in smoothies. Not endless energy, just lots of help.

      Delete
  5. Your blueberries look delicious! We went to pick some wild blueberries this weekend but they are so tiny; I think they are really struggling with our lack of water this month. Love the photos of the "little stinkers"; they are just adorable... and really, aren't all kids litter stinkers at some point? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good. I've never seen wild blueberries. It's very popular here to go pick wild huckleberries. Yes, all kids are little stinkers...sometimes even when they're older...lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts