#WQW.....Theme: Mother's Day


It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQW here.

Marsha is still on vacation but this weeks theme is Mother's Day. It's been 18 Mother's Days since I've had my mom here on this side of heaven. I sure miss her. It's always in my mind the things we could do together, how much she'd enjoy her grandkids and great grandkids. 

I'm thankful I have been blessed with an amazing Mother in Law (and Father in Law). She is very different from my mom but so amazing in her way. 

I have also been blessed to be a mother for 26 1/2 years to my two daughters. Being a mom has been one of the best things in my life. I loved it when they were little and I still love it today. I love watching my oldest daughter be a mom. 

At the same time, I know there are so many women who have never been able to be a mom, or didn't feel like they should or wanted to be a mom, those who did not have great relationships with their moms. I found this post I wrote a few years ago on FB...

Happy Mothers Day to all the mamas out there. Moms come in many forms..adoptive, bonus, birth, and maybe you don't have children, I guarantee that someone out there looks to you as a mom. So many have never had a mom, or a mom that they had a good relationship with, maybe you were that mama figure to them. Maybe you birthed children but made the choice to give them up to adoption. Maybe you've lost a child or a mom. Maybe you're a single dad playing both roles or a grandparent raising your grandkids. We are all unique, special and vitally important whatever role we play. Embrace you today! Celebrate you in whatever form motherhood finds you.

We forget that motherhood comes in many forms. It doesn't look the same for everyone. There are women who desperately want to be moms but it just hasn't happened. I remember a few years ago when I had just started my job and it was right around Mother's Day. A customer left and said to us "happy mothers day". After they were gone, I thought about it for a bit and said, "I know they meant well, but what if we weren't mothers? I know for myself, unless I know someone is a mom, I usually don't say anything. 

Anyways, here are a few quotes I found that I liked and had never heard. 



This last quote I think is my favorite. I love that thought. So beautiful. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful post, Kirstin. That last FB quote is so true. Never having birthed children, I always told my students that they were my children, and for that year they were. I dedicated my life to them. Then they belonged to someone else for a year. I've had a chance to see several of them as adults. Lots of parents with beautiful children, teachers, social workers, restaurant managers, even a lawyer. They have made me proud.

    You lost your own mother so early in your life, Kirstin. I'm so sorry. It sounds like you adopted others like your MIL. I often did that with fathers. My mom passed in 2006. She was so much a part of me that in some ways it seems like she is always with me - and she is, isn't she?

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day, Kirstin. Thanks for keeping up with WQW while I was on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome! I believe we are all "mothers" to someone for sure, and sometimes a teacher may be the only parent figure some students have. I definitely had many women in my life and I'm also thankful I was so close to my maternal grandma and my moms sisters. It's very weird now to have no parents since my dad passed away last july and my sister and I are not close. I'm trying to stay consistent with posting, though I know there will be times I'll miss too. :) HOpefully you had a great vacation

      Delete
    2. We had a great trip. Thanks so much for your inspirational post this week.

      Delete
  2. I have always celebrated my mother even when my parents returned to Germany and I remained in Belgium. I always had sent her flowers. My son was cute when he was a young boy and they did things at school for Mother Day. After that he used to "forget" mother day I was very offended. Meanwhile I got used and don't care anymore, he is a good boy and and calls me once a week and we are getting more closer since we are alone as my husband is in senior residence he has Parkinson/Alzeimer and we both know how it ends. This year he won't come neither because he has to "help" my grandson not to forget his mum ! When he told me that I had to laugh !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness...I would laugh too at that last comment :). Sending. you hugs and Happy Mother's Day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts