#WQW....Theme: Easter


It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQW here.

This weeks theme is Easter. I just realized I hadn't been around to visit other participants from last weeks challenge so I'll have to make the rounds. I don't like linking an running. People are worth taking time to comment on their posts. 

For anyone in the Christian faith/religions, Easter signifies the resurrection of Jesus 3 days after He was crucified on the cross. It is celebrated with a season of lent first and then Easter. Many people whether Christian or not also celebrate Easter with eggs and bunnies, and baby chicks, though many Christians will shun this aspect of it. However, as I was reading more about this holiday, I read that Easter began as a pagan festival celebrating spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Spring is the time when nature wakes from winter and a season of renewal and rebirth occur. Some say they related it to Eostre, the goddess of spring, the dawn and fertility.

I then looked up some of the symbols of Easter. Isn't it fun going down rabbit holes? I wish I had more time. 

Eggs:
represent new life and rebirth. In medieval times, eating eggs was forbidden during lent so on Easter Sunday, eating eggs was s real treat.
Bunny: A bit unclear, but they are a symbol of fertility and new life so it seems fitting. 

Anyways, we have always focused more on the resurrection of Jesus, but have included Easter egg hunts, coloring Easter eggs and sometimes Easter baskets, we just didn't put a lot of stock in the Easter Bunny. Growing up we always had Easter baskets and I always requested white chocolate over regular. 
I'm just going to say, that is one creepy bunny! I don't look too thrilled. 

As I was browsing quotes, I chose ones that really resonated with me, spoke to me, if you will. I don't have any photos to share because I honestly don't think I have any photos from Easter get togethers. So I hope you enjoy the quotes I found this week. Oh, I did remember a few photos I could share. 

The above photo is me with my grandma in front of this big basket that is in a park near their home on Lake Erie. At Easter they fill it with big "eggs". The photo below is me with a girl that none of us have ever identified...my mom's no longer alive to tell us, and my grandma wasn't sure. Oh the stories my aunts and cousins have come up with....also, they joke "who's the guy in the background holding a purse". It's a mystery that may never be solved. 



The great gift of Easter is hope.









Easter Haiku
Kirstin Troyer
The resurrection
Hope for all humanity
To enjoy new life.




I heard this version of Turn Your Eyes last year when we were on our trip to Texas and one of my daughters friends who was with us was learning it for the Easter service at their church. I have always loved Natalie Grant and I just love the power behind this song. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Ooh...yes. that is a scary bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, Kirstin. I tried to post a comment from my phone, but it gave me grief, so I had to wait until I had time to open my computer. I agree with Gloria - scary, scary. The picture of you with your grandma and wearing those cute white tights - adorable! I loved the music, quotes, pictures, and, of course, all your narrative, which pulls it all together. You are making memories, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts