#WQW...........Theme: Rain or Writer's Choice


I
t's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQW here.

I'm going to go with Rain for the theme this week. I live in the PNW, the southwest region of Washington, which boasts very diverse weather patterns. On the west side of the state our climate is heavily influenced by the Pacific Ocean. We experience a lot of rain, especially in the spring. I will admit, I am not a fan of rain but it is what gives us the beautiful landscape we live in, so I will take it. If I'm inside, with nowhere to go, I don't mind it at all and love the sound. If I'm out and about, no thank you! I love a good rain storm with thunder and lightning, again, if I'm inside with nowhere to go.

Side alley in St. Augustine Florida. A quick rainstorm followed by sun!

I remember growing up in Ohio where rain storms in the warm summer days found us out playing in it and the puddles afterwards. We don't quite experience it like that out here, it's usually cold when it rains. 

So why would I pick rain if I'm not a fan? Because rain is necessary. Because we all experience "rainy" seasons in our lives. Because rain waters, quenches thirsty ground, thirsty souls,  promotes growth. Sometimes rain is compared to storms or hard times in our lives, but it is also a sign of refreshment after a particularly dry season. I do love the smell of the earth after the first rains of the season, or when it's been hot, and it rains, and the smell is wonderful and earthy. During forest fire season we hope and pray for rain, to help aid in putting out and controlling the fires. Sometimes despite all human effort, rain is needed to get the job done. The earth and our lives need to be watered. I often joke that it would be nice if it just rained at night, everything was watered while we slept and when we wake up, we get to enjoy the day. 




Pluviophile = (n) a lover of rain; someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days. 

I have a friend who LOVES the rain. I always tease her, shooting a text on rainy days saying "I suppose you are loving this right now". She now lives on the east side of the state so I can't tease her as much. I love that last part however...someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days. Wow. That is so good. It makes me pause, and ponder...am I able to find joy and peace of mind not only in actual rainy days, but in rainy seasons of my life. 

rain didn't dampen these girls birthday spirits. Ha! Oh man were they a mess. But they had fun. 

There are many songs with the word rain in them, and if you go to any kind of Christian church, you'll definitely hear songs about rain. One of the most popular songs is by B.J. Thomas "Raindrops  Keep Fallin' On my Head". It was one of my favorites. Oh, and "Rainy Days and Mondays" by the Carpenters. So many songs! 

There are some very common quotes about rain, but I went on a search for ones that I had never heard of before. I love what I found. I hope you do too.


Some people feel the rain, others just get wet. 
~Roger Miller





"Running in the rain: Exercise, therapy, and a shower...all at the same time
~Unknown


May the flowers remind us why the rain was necessary.
~Xan Oku


Rainy days should be spent at home with a a cup of tea and a good book.
~Bill Watterson 



It was a rainy day when we left Como to visit Bellagio, Italy. But we were in Italy, we couldn't stay cooped up in our Airbnb.We experienced a few good storms while in Europe. We loved them and thankfully they didn't last long. 

I loved all of these quotes. They all gave me so much food for thought. A reminder to not despise the rain or rainy season in life, to welcome the rain after a particularly dry time. Yes, rain and it's effects when it's very heavy can be devastating and I will never like that, but everything else is worth re-thinking my take on it. 




With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. This is lovely, Kirstin. It's so funny that you wrote about the warm rain in Ohio and the cold rain here. I had just finished writing almost that same comment to Terri or Cee - or both of them. It was a huge shock moving to the PNW and realizing how cold 70 degrees was and how cold the rain was. I loved to play in the rain as a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts