Taking in Life Around Me......#SundayStills theme.....Urban


This #sundaystills challenge is hosted by Terri from Second Wind LeisureI've also been loving visiting the blogs of the other participants and being inspired by their interpretations of the theme. Sometimes I'm a week late commenting but I do try to visit everyone. After all, if you take the time to produce something, you sure hope people visit.

The theme this week is Urban. I don't live in a city and won't have time to head into one to capture new photos so I'll be going back through my archives to see what I can find. I am not a city girl...I can visit and enjoy it, but I don't think I could live in a city. I love my rural spaces. I'm thankful to live in a rural community but within 20-30 minutes from the bigger cities. There were a few specific photos I wanted to find, but couldn't, so I picked some others. I hope you enjoy them. 


I don't know that Venice or Como would be considered Urban, probably not, BUT there were a lot more buildings, cars and people than I'm used to seeing in one spot so I included the above photo. I love old and big buildings. 

Seattle is definitely urban. I grew up about 45 minutes from Seattle and we visited Pike Place Market often. I had some other photos I was looking for from a visit a few years ago that showed more of the city from a higher vantage, but couldn't find them. 

The famous gum wall. My daughter on the right, her friend on the left. You could smell the sweetness of gum as soon as you turned on the street. Kind of gross. 

This guy was giving free hugs. The girls decided he didn't look like a creeper so they gave him a hug. 

Our visit to NYC definitely gave us a taste of urban life. We were there for 6 days and can I just say we had a blast, but were equally excited to get back to our green landscape and small town life. Navigating the subway was something we managed to figure out pretty well. We only got on the wrong train once.  

The city skyline was pretty cool, and I got several pictures from different vantage points. I loved that building with the interesting windows. This may have been taken when we crossed over to Hoboken, NJ. 

I loved how old buildings mingled with new skyscrapers. Old churches were beautiful. I loved this one with it's red door.

Little Italy. I wanted to explore here more, but my daughter wasn't feeling the greatest that day. 

Downtown Portland, Oregon above. This is an area known as the Pearl District. We have loved visiting Portland, but I'll be honest, it has gone downhill fast in the last few years. Homelessness as risen so much that there are homeless camps everywhere and it just doesn't feel safe. 

Another view from the top of The Rock in NYC. It was crazy, because we felt like we walked and saw so much, but when you look at it from here, you realize you barely touched the surface. 

My daughter LOVED visiting and wants to go back. It was definitely an experience. 

Another view of downtown Portland. 

In 2018 I went with my hubby to Palm Springs, CA and while. maybe it's more suburban (I don't know), to me it seemed to be an urban hub in the middle of nowhere. 

Bern, Switzerland is considered an urban community even though compared to what we think of urban it might not. It is a fairly large city but beautiful. 

Like I said, I knew I had more photos, but I just couldn't find them. I keep telling myself I'm going to get out there and take more photos. I'm going to carry my camera with me more, and I just don't do it. Yes, I know I can use my phone, but I want to use my camera more. 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirsitn

Comments

  1. Wow, for a rural girl, you sure have a LOT of spectacular urban shots, Kirstin! I would love to go to Seattle and Pike Place market. Sadly I've heard the homeless camp in the doorways and harass people. Your pic of Bern made me think of how so many European city centers are walkable but not so urban in their scope. Definitely not in that concentric ring model I shared. You reminded me that I had a few shots of downtown Portland, hmmm, maybe a bridge theme soon! There were a ton of homeless in Portland last June. They were camped by Voodoo Donuts area, it was heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...I know, because I love visiting the city, but just don't think I could live there. Oh bridges would be a great theme. Portland is terrible right now too...ugghh. It is all over to the point that we used to be okay with our girls going down there at night and now we don't so much. It is very sad. The powers that be have just let it get too out of control. .

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts