#WQW....Theme: Taste


It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQWWC here.


This weeks challenge is all about taste! 

Definitions: 

* the sensation of flavor perceived in the mouth and throat on contact with a substance.
*A small portion of food or drink taken as a sample.
*A person's liking for particular flavors.
*A persons tendency to like and dislike certain things.
*To perceive or experience the flavor of.

So clearly this word can take on different meanings. When it comes actual taste of food and drinks, many of us experienced a loss of that sense at some point in the last few years. My hubby was pretty sick in December of 2022, and I spent most of my time downstairs while he was upstairs. I was diffusing some oils regularly, etc. I felt great. One day my daughter comes home and says "mom, why does it smell so much of oils"....I paused and then said "OH MY GOSH...I can't SMELL anything....then I tasted my coffee and said I can't taste my coffee". That was it...for about 5 days I couldn't taste or smell, and that really sucked. I remember one night cooking dinner and I thought "why in the world am I even cooking..there are only the two of us and we can't even enjoy it". My daughter and her friend were staying elsewhere since we were sick. Thankfully my taste came back fairly quickly. But that was not fun at all. 

When it comes to taste in things, I will say, my hubby and I have very different taste in decor styles. That has been a bit of a struggle during our recent home addition. Trying to find something that fits both our taste in decor style. 

He does not have a taste for coffee, I cannot stand the taste of shredded or just as strong coconut flavor. We are all so different, and when it comes to taste, there's no right or wrong, it comes down to the individual preference. I'm always open to trying new things, but it doesn't mean I'll like it. I recently tried something called Spam Musubi. It is a popular dish in Hawaii, and made with a slice of grilled spam on top of sticky rice, wrapped in nori. While it wasn't bad, I feel like it would be an acquired taste. 

I think this is so true. Everyone has their own individual taste. This is a good reminder. When I go into a home that isn't my style or see someone who is perhaps dressed in a way I don't care for, I always look for something I can compliment them on. Just because I personally don't like it, doesn't mean it's not pretty, or there's not something to like, it's just not "me". 

Oh wow. How true this is. I feel like I can so relate to this at the moment. Not so much me personally but knowing people who cannot forget and let go of the bitterness of the past and therefore are missing out on the beauty of the present. 


Yep. We will truly see the state of someone's heart if we listen to them talk long enough. I have also found that sometimes you can tell this by the things they post. on social media. You can often get an idea of who they are, how they think, what they believe.

I don't think enough people do this, especially in the last few years. We are so quick to "spit out" our opinions, criticisms, etc. We don't take time to pause before speaking, and to examine how this might be taken by someone else. 

I have always been one to take my time when I'm eating or drinking. I like to savor my food. To enjoy the flavors. Sometimes we are in such a hurry we really don't take time to appreciate it. Where it came from, who cooked it, what spices and flavors are woven throughout. 

I will admit, I'm not always good at this. Sometimes I'm rushing from one thing to the next, not taking time to enjoy each moment as it comes, or each transition from thing to thing...I rush to my car from work, maybe not taking a moment to pause and enjoy the beautiful sunset. 

This is totally and completely me! My taste in music is so eclectic. I'll listen to anything if it resonates with me on some level. Except maybe heavy metal...that just gives me a headache. 





With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. You did a great job of covering "taste" this week. There are so many ways to go with it. It sounds like you got a taste of COVID, the original brand. That is so weird that you felt fine but couldn't taste. I'm glad it didn't last very long! Thanks again for sharing your great quotes and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...yep the "original" brand. I know, so weird, if I hadn't lost taste and smell I would have felt completely normal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts