Weekend Coffee Share....Come Sit with Me

It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try.

If we were having coffee we'd probably talk about: 

Let's talk about coffee real quick. I usually drink brewed coffee at home, and even though my daughter has an espressso machine, cold brew maker, pour over and we have a French Press, I seem to always just do brewed coffee. She's a barista and if she's working I'll go by the coffee shop in the morning before work to get a coffee. Lately I've been liking one called Dream Weaver which has cinnamon and vanilla in it. So good! Funny story....my boss and other co-worker went to a coffee shop across the street to get lunch the other day. The barista asked them if they wanted a free volcano mocha because they had made it with the wrong milk for a customer, so they took it. When they took a drink they got a big shock....it had cayenne pepper in it. Someone said "didn't the word Volcano tip you off". Apparently not. Too funny! I'm not sure I would've liked that one.

The weather: It's been rainy but I think we're in for a week of nicer weather. Cold, but no rain. I'll take it.

It was cold today, but my daughter, one of her friends and myself went for a walk on the Lacamas Lake Heritage trail. So pretty. We went about 3 miles. That's Mt Hood in the distance. 


What we're thinking about: At the moment, how tired I am. I really do like my job, but boy sometimes I dream of just being able to be home. Also thinking about the weekend. It's supposed to be nice, so I'd like to do a few things outside, go for a walk up our hill Sunday (I'm trying to get back into that), and hit a couple of our local upcycle boutiques..I really don't know what to call them...they are stores that have individual "booths" where people sell their stuff, a lot of it is items they've bought and repurposed, some of it is new, it's kind of a hodgepodge of things). I love visiting them but I just don't have time to go during the week.

What we're thankful for: I'm really thankful for the ladies I work with and my job. As much as I'd love to be able to stay home and pursue all things domestic and creative, I'm thankful that having to work, I have a job I really enjoy. 

What we're reading or want to read: Still reading the same books. I'm really enjoying "How the Penguins saved Veronica". The jury is still out on the "Eat, Pray, Die" one. 

Around the house: The shiplap wall has one coat of paint on it. I love it. It needs one more, but I think it's the perfect color for the room. It will accent the green in the granite. It's very possibly that by the end of February we could be in that side of the house. 

Our shiplap wall. Benjamin Moore "Enchanted Forest". It's a very nice, subtle green. I really like it. 


From the kitchen: I made a few new dishes this last week that turned out really good. Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and Asian Quinoa Salad. Tonight I made lentil soup. It was good, but lentils aren't really a favorite of mine. I think it's the texture. This next week I have mostly repeats, but also adding baked potatoes with steamed broccoli and a vegan cheese sauce and then a white bean and spinach soup. I had on the menu Jackfruit tacos but didn't make those. I'm going to try that this week. 

Favorite Quote: Last weeks #WQW theme was fitness resolutions you can keep. My favorite quote I shared was: 

"exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not punishment for what you ate."

What we've watched or listened to: Let's see. I listened to a podcast that interviewed Tim Shriver. The podcast is called Unknowing and the title of the episode was "A new way to see". It challenged us in unknowing our categories, judgements, biases we have toward one another and to consider a new lens with which we can see each other clearly, through the eyes of the heart". It was good. My hubby and I started watching The Amazing Race. I've always loved that show. 

Favorite photo from the week

After a birthday party last weekend, we found a small local park that has dinosaurs and my grandson loved it. He had so much fun running around. 
At one point while babysitting last week, all three of these littles were asleep. So cute. My grandson wasn't feeling well, so he just laid around on the couch all day. 


Random thoughts: Friday at work, and elderly woman came in (she was in her 80's). She moved slowly and with a cane. She has been a customer before. She walked up to the counter and put something on top. She said "I need you to help me with something, you are all always so kind to me". I said of course. She said, "now I'm going to tell you something and I don't want any "oh, no, I'm sorries, okay?" I'm thinking, "what is she going to tell me". But I said okay. She said I have 3 months to live, I need to send this to alaska (it was a walrus tusk or something like that), and I need you to write a note for me because I don't write too well anymore". It took quite a bit on my part not to respond how she told me not to respond, but I managed. I took my time with her (thankfully no one else came in during that time). Found the best way to ship her item, and wrote her note (which actually was very sad because it sounds like there was a rift in the family), but I just did what I was asked. We talked a little bit about living a full life, and she said that she was okay with dying, that she lived her life well, and she was looking forward to what was next. I walked her to the door and opened it for her and we said goodbye. I don't know that I'll see her again but it's moments like these that I realize, it's often the little things that mean so much to people. We're often told how kind we are, how much people like coming to us, etc. We have a small building, nothing fancy and there are only 4 of us who work there (2 at a time). We're often very busy, but we somehow still manage to make people feel like they matter. 


Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Beautiful views of the lake and Mt Hood. I hope your grandson is feeling better. I'm sure the elderly woman appreciated your act of kindness by listening to her story and taking your time with her. Thank you for linking up with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie. Kiddo's are on the mend.

      Delete
  2. Dinosaur egg looks great. Brilliant thing to have in the park. Love the sleeping photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the sleeping grandies Kirstin - we've just had our grandgirls for 3 days and I think I need a nap when they go home this afternoon. It's amazing how they just keep on going and going all day long. Fortunately they're good sleepers, so at least we get a good night's sleep in between all the adventuring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..I often feel that way when I'm done babysitting. I want a nap. And I love the term "grandies"....so cute. I may have to adopt it.

      Delete
  4. Kirstin, your last story is a tearjerker. You are such a kind and beautiful soul. What you did for that woman probably meant the world to her. It is hard to get to a point where a person can't do things for themselves and has to ask for help, but that was so personal. On a different subject, I love the green color you painted your wall. Too yummy. Almost as good as your food sounds and your grandbabies look. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha...it was hard not to want to cry, we often are the recipients of heart breaking story's by customers and have often found ourselves teary eyed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts