Tuesday 4.....Christmas


 It's time again for Tuesday 4 hosted by Anne from Cottage by the sea. Published each week in memory of Toni Taddeo, it's original author.

1. Is your tree up? Yep, the tree went up the weekend after Thanksgiving, though with work schedules it didn't get decorated all at once. How tall... what color lights?We have 9' ceilings and normally go for a 7-8' tree, but this year it was slim pickings...we had a couple of really hot days this summer (over 115 which is rare here in the PNW), and it wrecked havoc on many trees. So this year we found a smaller one. I'd say maybe a 6 footer...we actually love it.  Is there a color scheme you use? I am very traditional (though is there really such a thing) when it comes to colors. I like red and green for most decor, and white lights on the tree and also some red ones. I've never really been a fan of colored lights on my own tree, though I love them on other peoples. My ornaments are a variety of balls (usually red and gold),  and sentimental ones. Some from childhood. We do have a couple of other sets that my hubby bought and I've used them, but they're not my favorite. 




This years tree

Our tree was so small this year, my youngest daughter was able to carry it herself. 

2.  Got a menu for Christmas Eve and Day? I always make clam chowder for Christmas Eve, complete with bread bowls, and I make cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. For the main meal, we go to my inlaws house. This year we're doing a simple ham, rolls, and side salads. I'm making broccoli salad. 
3. When does it go up and how long does it stay up? I'm guessing we're talking about the tree...I always work to get it up by the end of Thanksgiving weekend, and I take it down after the New Year. Next year I think we're getting an artificial one so I'm guessing it'll go up sooner. 
4. What is your favorite Christmas memory. I do not have a great memory BUT one thing I do remember is that when we were little, on CE my sister and I would sleep in the same room and we couldn't come out until our dad had his cup of coffee and cigarette. Another memory is that when we would travel up to see my parents and inlaws (2 1/2 hours away at the time), my MIL and I would work on a puzzle Christmas Eve. We'd stay up pretty late getting it done.  When do you open your gifts? When we were little, we'd visit grandparents on CE and so we opened presents from them on that night and then at home on Christmas. Now we open them all on Christmas. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Your tree is beautiful! I used to decorate my tree with the same colors, but switched a few years back. It is about time we change things up again. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Christmas tin. I collect tins but didn't put them out this year. Your tree looks beautiful. Your Christmas Eve dinner sounds yummy. I have an artificial tree although I would love a real tree. With my ornament collection it takes me several days to put the ornaments on and then I like to leave it up for maybe a week after New Year's. A real tree just wouldn't last. I love that you guys slept together and had to wait for your dad to have coffee and a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You...that tin was one of my moms so I treasure it. It can take me awhile to get my ornaments on too.

      Delete
  3. What a pretty tree.
    We went over to the dark side and bought artificial trees a few years ago. For us it was a good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree is beautiful! And it makes me miss the ornaments on mine (I have a new kitten so skipped them this year...hoping he will be calmer by next year). When decorated my tree is all red and white, too, but it has a sort of an alpine/woodland theme. Clam chowder sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kitties can be a pain at Christmas time...lol. I like the idea of your theme...that is probably pretty.

      Delete
  5. I love that you still have a real tree. I would love to have one here if they weren't so expensive, and cutting a real one is very different here in Florida. Our native pine trees are much different than your lovely spruce or fir type trees. We did get one from the forest here a few years ago and it was fun, but just very different. I love traditional colors and ornaments too. Old fashioned is what I'd call it. Nothing fancy or color coordinated. We have lots of memories attached to our tree. Your childhood memories are similar...we couldn't go out and open our gifts until everyone was up and made their beds and my mother had her cup of coffee because she had been up most of the night wrapping gifts! LOL. Then we would march down the hall together singing Jingle Bells. Happy Memories. Clam chowder sounds wonderful, especially if it is the New England type, creamy? Sounds good. Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just envision little ones marching down the hall singing....so cute! Yes, the clam chowder is New England and so so good. It's very creamy. The recipe is on the blog if you want to search for it. Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete
  6. Ham sounds good to me but hubby and son can't eat pork and daughter won't eat it. We did get a small ham for thanksgiving and my brother in law brought over some pork tamales that were really good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts