Tuesday 4.....Home Sweet Home


It's time again for Tuesday 4 hosted by Anne from Cottage by the sea. 


This week, let's talk about your home town or home state.

Snoqualmie Falls! Always a beautiful place to visit and right now with all the rain, it's raging! 

  1. What was your hometown like?  It's so interesting, I have lived in my current town longer than what I consider my hometown. But I'll talk about where I grew up. I grew up in a small town just east of Seattle, called North Bend. Part of the Snoqualmie Valley. We moved there in the 70's from Lorain, Ohio where my parents were born and raise and where we lived til I was in 4th grade. North Bend was small and quaint. It was the home of the Twin Peaks movie, the popular Snoqualmie Falls  and Sasquatch stories abounded. It is filled with places to hike and explore, though now it is very expensive to live there and has grown into a large tourist area. It doesn't really feel like the same place, though many of my classmates and friends still live there. Or home state or both! I still live in Washington state, though now I'm in the southwest region. I love our state for the scenery and the fact that where I live, within a few hours or less I can be at the ocean, the mountains, even the high desert. I live very close to Portland Oregon (in a small town) so we have often joked that while we live in Washington, we spend enough time in Oregon that we should be dual citizens. However Portland has not been our favorite place recently due to such a huge homeless crisis. It just doesn't feel safe.
  2. Did you enjoy where you grew up? Yes, Why? It was one of those towns where everyone knew everyone. It was pretty, it felt safe. We played all over our neighborhood with friends and our parents yelled or whistled when it was time to come home. We explored by the river, railroad tracks and logging roads. 
  3. How much did where you grew up shape you? I'm not sure how to answer this one...I suppose that it made me appreciate the simple things in life. It made me love the small town life (I am not a city girl), it made me love a slower way of life, though I know there are "slower ways of life" out there. 
  4. What were some of the best and worst things about where you grew up? The best things were how, as kids in the neighborhoods, when we all went out to play games and run around, it didn't matter if you were popular or not. We had so much freedom in our little part of town (you drove down a hill to get to where we lived..it was called Riverbend because it was originally part of the riverbed and cozied up to the river (which was scary during flood season).You knew so many people. 3 towns comprised the Jr. High and High school. It was surrounded by mountains. The worst things? Gosh, I can't really think of anything, except that maybe it's close proximity to Seattle caused many people to move there and thus caused it to become too expensive for many to stay or live there. I about fall over when I see the price of houses there. 
I loved growing up in a small town. I'm thankful our girls were raised in a small town too. We love visiting the city, but give me a small town to live in any day. Though there are times I wish some conveniences were closer, and it's tempting to think of living in a bigger town or city.

Being baptized in the cold Snoqualmie River. 
Small town parades....yes please. I'm thankful I live in a town now that also has small town parades. 

Mt. Si....what the valley is known for, but what my girls always called Nannies Mountain. They knew that when we were driving to visit and they could see it, we were almost to Nannie and Bapas house. 

I wish I had more photos of our town. I know I do somewhere but just don't have the time to look for them. 

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post. That river just looks so cold!! You really grew up in a beautiful place. There is something special about growing up in a small town too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I Could find more photos, it was a beautiful place to grow up.

      Delete
  3. I only live about 15 minutes from the town I was born and raised in so small town life is all I know. I love that my boys got to experience it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool Joanne! Sometimes I wished I lived closer to where I grew up.

      Delete
  4. I grew up in the Lake District here in the UK, various small towns interlinked by a couple of major roads. At the time it felt like the only thing to do was really farm or be part of the tourism trade so after university never really returned as my heart was in technology. I always have a sense of melancholy when I return, myself caught between being a tourist, memories of being a young adult, a time long gone and knowing the area like the back of my hand. Its the same shapes but not the same. We had a river as well, always a place to return to and fond memories of skimming stones, practicing swimming and enjoying the summer sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about visiting where you grew up. I feel the same way.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful waterfall! I would love being near it and just watching it. I agree with you on kids playing in the neighborhood. That was my favorite thing as a kid. The kids do not play outside with each other much anymore...at least not here where I live. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun growing up with it. Now it's a HUGE tourist attraction.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts