Tuesday 4....December is here

"Twas the night before Christmas..."
Hello and welcome back to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 kept in her memory .  We give you 4 things to think about each week and hope it spurs you to blog, connect with fellow bloggers and just stop and reflect!

December is a month filled with religious significance for so many. Christmas(Dec 24-25) and Chanukah(Nov 28-Dec 6). Christians speak of the light coming into the world at Christmas and


Chanukah is the festival of lights when the light was returned to the  newly cleansed temple in Jerusalem. So they have a common connection.

Let's talk about December and what it has in store for you....


2021 Christmas tree

1. How much importance do you place on December holidays?  I would say they mean a lot to me. I celebrate Christmas. For me it's a time of reflection, a time of trying to slow down. A time of family gathering, celebrating the birth of Jesus. I've thought of doing an Advent devotional but haven't found one I was really drawn to. Do you plan and prepare? Typically yes, I plan and prepare..I like to decorate right after TG. If I'm going to bake, I like to go through my recipes and decide what to make. I often make goodies to send with. my hubby to work. I'm not sure if I will this year. My goal is to always shop way ahead of time, but that doesn't always happen. Is that part of the fun for you or would you rather dispense with it? I wouldn't say I'd dispense of it, and normally it's fun. With that said, I also try to stay aware of how I'm feeling each year. This year I lost my dad in July and while we didn't spend a lot of time together, we talked often and it's made me a little more sad. I'm not opposed to making adjustments and changes as needed. For myself or anyone else. 

2. Food is a big part of the holiday season.  Which foods and treats do you most look forward to having? Favorites, that honestly, would have me walking the plank if I suggested we NOT do them, are clam chowder Christmas Eve, and Cinnamon rolls Christmas morning. Oh, and usually the one treat I try to ALWAYS make is caramel corn. If I have time, I love making Italian Sprinkle cookies, butterballs, soft peanut brittle, rocky road cups, and a few others. 

3. It is a season for family, friends, guests and giving.  Would you write a bit about how it all comes together for you in December?  

Typically first and foremost we make a budget. We actually save for Christmas all year and then in November we make a budget for how much we want to spend on each person in the family and any extras. I usually ask people for gift ideas (at least hubby and kids). Then once I have lists I start looking around and buying. Each person also gets a stocking.

Christmas Eve and Christmas morning are at our house, and Christmas day is at my inlaws. We are also hosting a "late" friendsgiving, and attending a few holiday parties. One with friends and another with my hubby's work. My birthday is also in December so we may do something for that, though this year we're having a hard time finding a date. 

4. Life changes and traditions alter due to those changes. Has anything changed for you and if so how? If not, would you mind sharing your traditions with us?

I love traditions, but I'm also a firm believer in letting some go if they're aren't working for your family. My mom always made oyster stew on CE. My hubby doesn't like it, and it's not my favorite, so now I do clam chowder. That and the cinnamon rolls have been our own created family tradition. When our girls were young, a favorite tradition was to drive around and look at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. When I was little, we lived across the U.S. from my grandparents, so if they sent us gifts, we'd open those on Christmas Eve. Traditions are beautiful and fun, but I feel it's important to make them yours and to make your own. 

Playing games, doing puzzles are all part of our days. 

A fun tradition that my nephews and youngest daughter started doing out of "fun" years ago is they would both lift her up and hold her, then as they got older, they'd be funny and "curl" her like a weight. They have done this since at least 2008 or maybe 2010. Here's a recent one.

2020 Photo. We laugh so hard when they do this! 


Thank you so much for keeping this meme alive. If you have topics or subjects you would like to see here, let me know and I will be happy to accommodate you. I don't ever want this to become dull or boring and that can easily happen. Your input is important and your participation means so much to me.



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. I love Christmas. Last year was hard for me because we really couldn't gather without masks. I had lost my dad and my dog last year. I didn't do much at all. I lost my brother this year. I am sorry that you lost your father. ((Hugs)) This year I pushed myself and I have so much done already and it feels good. Your food items sound delicious. I know our traditions have changed and that's okay. I love the photo. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed reading about how you plan for Christmas and and about your family traditions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts