It's another week of Weekend Coffee Share. I always love everyone's posts. Are you like me and try to visit everyone? It doesn't always happen but I try. 

If we were having coffee we'd probably talk about:


What we're thinking about: Right at this moment I'm thinking about the random phone number that woke me up at 4:30, 30 minutes before my alarm was to go off. I figured I might as well just get up because my bladder was saying that was a good idea, the hitch in my lower back thought so too. So I'm about to nurse my second cup of coffee. I don't get today off from work. Whoever it was didn't even leave a message.

Tomorrow we are taking my grandson to Jurassic Quest at our local event center. I did not read the small print very well and so I didn't see that we needed to check our local venues for protocol requirements....well, we discovered Sunday night that we need to show a negative test...so we scrambled til 10pm to find a place, we go this afternoon (Friday) to get them. My first test ever. Not thrilled. 

What we're thankful for: I'm thankful for people who care and make an effort when it comes to relationships. Connection is so important. I'm thankful for a good day yesterday even though it was the first holiday without my dad here. The reality is though, it's been years since we spent a holiday together. I always invited but he and my sister always had reasons for not coming, and we never received an invitation, BUT I always called so it was weird not talking to him. I also noticed I was a bit on edge. Maybe because of that. I don't know. 

We had a good day. We did an early meal (12:30) because my oldest daughter and family and my nephews all had to be at other family members homes later in the day. We go to my inlaws and my MIL makes the main meal. We had way too much food and too many leftovers (haha, I know, is that a thing? Can you really have too many leftovers?) We relaxed, ate, played cards, just visited, watched some soccer. 

What we're reading: Still working my way through Winter Garden. I've taken a few days off...it's just a book that hits closer to home and it's been harder to read. I feel like I'm thinking way too much when I'm reading it. Analyzing my own life and family dynamics (which isn't bad), but as someone who's personality type has always been the peacemaker (I'm an enneagram 9, and I am seeing that I fit the wings 1 & 8), and the next two highest scores were the supportive advisor-2, and the Loyal Guardian-6. So when there is tension in relationships it's hard. Anyways, I'd love to read more about my types because it's so interesting. 

Around the home; I feel like we are on the forward move again. Backsplash is being installed in the kitchen and bath in the new part of house. I'm loving it. We also, finally, after 13 years installed backsplash in our current kitchen and we all said "why did we not do this 13 years ago." It looks so good. And as much as, at the time I needed color, and thus painted my kitchen bright colors, I love the color it is now. 

We are also starting on the trim and my hubby has installed another interior door. Our appliances get set on December 6th. That will make such a huge difference. Our trim is pine, keeping it flowing with the rest of the house even though the floors and cabinets are darker. I didn't want "dark" wood all over. 

New kitchen backsplash and trim..this is window over the sink. Only one wall done so far. 

Playing around with a pattern to go on the wall above the stove to be an accent. Doing the herringbone, but trying to decide what the edges will be. 

Master Bathroom back splash. I'll have to take a photo closer up. 

Current kitchen. We went with the same back splash. Once it's done and the counter put back together, I'll take a full photo. 


From the Kitchen: This week since it was TG here in the US I made green bean casserole twice (I think I mentioned that last week, maybe not). I also made a small batch of a non-dairy version since my oldest daughter and grandkiddos are avoiding dairy. Other than that, I haven't made anything new. At the moment, I don't even know what I made last week. Haha. I'm tired. Oh, I did make some breaded cod with the intention of them being fish tacos with a tzatziki sauce but I made the strips too big and they didn't fit well, so mine was basically "open faced taco" but it was really good. My mantra has always been, "it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it tastes good". We'll go to my inlaws tonight for dinner and Sunday I'll do chicken soup. 

Favorite quote: Two quotes from our #WQWWC. The theme was forgotten. My post is here



Favorite photo(s) of the week:

This little peanut is so funny with the phone. Her mama set the phone down while she ran down the hall and Pepper just sat there smiling at me. Of course, then she made a grab for it. 

Indy and I matched. Not planned. He loved his "tie dye" shirt.

Cousins, 1 month apart. My nephews son and daughters girl. They were actually due within a day of each other, but he came first. They were so cute together yesterday. 



What we're listening to or watched: Not much this last week, but I was thinking about a series done by Jen Hatmaker called "for the love of the Enneagram" awhile back (might have been last year), that was really, really good. I've also listened to a podcast Richard Rohr did on the enneagram. That was fascinating too. 

I did catch up on the Magnolia Table episodes I missed, and I'm caught up on Stanley Tucci's show Searching for Italy. We also watched a few soccer games. Even though we live in Washington, we are right on the border of Oregon, so the Portland Timbers have always been "our team". They are in the MLS playoffs right now. 

Of course, Christmas movies are on so I plan to sneak a few of those in. My daughter was watching Nanny McPhee the other day. I love that movie. 

What are your favorite Christmas movies?

Randomness: This weekend we'll get our Christmas tree...probably Sunday afternoon. Hoping we can find one. We had one super hot day last summer and it scorched many trees. This could be our last year with a real one. 

We are taking my grandson to see Jurassic Quest tomorrow at our local event center. I can't wait to see what he thinks. He loves Dinosaurs. 

I've started Christmas shopping but still have some more to do. Hopefully I can wrap that up by this next weekend. 

Have a great week everyone! 


Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. What a sweet post. I really enjoyed the photos of the young ones in your family. Thank you for sharing some coffee with me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! Thanks for visiting as well.

      Delete
  2. Not heard of Winter Garden - will google. Love the loneliness quote - I listened to a podcast on the lockdwon affect on school kids and that was a big part of it - the kids with a big group of friends that suddenly weren't called daily because they didn't have a BFF. As a result, I made sure my daughter rang one kid in the bigger group each day (a different one) so that everyone got a call each week at least.
    Grief does bring up that 'on edge' feeling. It's not sadness, nor anger, just a disruption. It's strange. #WeekendCoffeeShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great idea you did with your daughter. I agree...loneliness has been huge the last year and so difficult to navigate. Where I work (a postal annex), we could tell the people who were struggling with loneliness because they would linger longer and talk (and of course we let them). I like your thought about grief. It's so true.

      Delete
  3. Hubby had a test done in the hospital emergency room a mont or so back. At the time I had only ever heard of the one where they stick the swab all the way up in your nasal cavity halfway to the brain (okay slight exaggeration there maybe)…. He said the one they did wasn’t all that bad, just a quick swab (if not deeper than normal) .

    Never looked at Ennegram personality types. According to Myers-Brigg, I’m an ISTJ and according to another (forget the name), I’m a Sanguine plus one other (which I now forget). I hate stress, strife, chaos, all that kind of stuff. I can handle emergencies without totally freaking out, but don’t deal well with other people freaking out. I do better with things & numbers than I do people and don’t like arguments, etc (especially if they end up involving me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In any personality test I take I always come out the same. I haven't done the myers-brigg one. My hubby's work does an interesting one with new employees that he had me take one time, it was accurate as well..lol. Apparently in a business setting, I'd be considered the glue. haha. Our tests went find (we self administered, and no shoving up the brain, but tickled). Thankfully they're negative so we can go to teh event.

      Delete
  4. Your kitchen and bathroom look beautiful. I enjoyed your photos of the little ones. They're so cute. I hope you have a fun-filled day at Jurassic Quest. Thank you for your #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie. Our test came back negative so I'm looking forward to going. hopefully I'll get some good pics.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirstin, your new kitchen is gorgeous. That's a lot of work and upheaval in your life for a time, but it feels so good when it's done. It sounds like you made it through Thanksgiving with flying colors even though it was a hard one. Your little ones are adorable. Have a wonderful week and a great start to December. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha. It's a work in progress for sure.

      Delete
  7. Hi Kirstin - interesting you mentioned Jen Hatmaker - I'd never heard of her until last week when I started watching a renovation show on TV that is about her family renovating their farmhouse - I didn't know she had a blog or podcast. The kitchen and bathroom are certainly progressing well -you must be so happy to be nearing the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh funny. Yes, podcast, a few books. She's been through the ringer, but I sure enjoy her.

      Delete
  8. Great to see the kitchen progressing, the cabinets look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must have been so hard spending Thanksgiving without being able to speak to your dad. Sending all the hugs. The splash backs look great and the kids so cute. I'm wrapping the last of my Christmas presents today. I need to get them in a box and sent to Sydney for family. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts