Wednesday HodgePodge




It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce, who blogs at From This Side of The Pond.  Each week she'll pose some questions for us to answer. What a great way to journal life.

1. What obligation do you believe you have to your country? Yes, I do believe we have an obligation to care for our country and the human beings that live in it. We have an obligation to care for nature. I believe we have an obligation to vote, to do our part to uphold honor, fairness, freedom. I believe we have an obligation to be open to listening to all sides, to work together as differing parties to come to conclusions that help all humanity, not just those in our parties.

2. October 12 is National Farmers Day. Do you know any farmers? Yep, I live in a farming community and my son in laws are lifelong farmers. My mother in laws dad was also a dairy farmer. What do they farm/grow/raise? Their farm was always a dairy farm, and then his parents and older brother started a pumpkin patch that they run yearly and I help out at. Sadly though, several years ago, it got harder on small dairies and they had to close and sell out. Now they just do pumpkins and one other brother was doing beef cattle. It's tough being a small farmer sometimes. 

The photo above and below this text are my son in laws family farm (just a glimpse). Such a beautiful area. 



When we were visiting the historical museum in our town, they had this photo displayed of my MIL's family on their dairy farm. My MIL is the one standing by the wheel. Her parents came here from Switzerland.

Are there farm stands where you live? 
Yes, farm stands and farmers markets! Lots of them. Do you shop there? Yes, when we can. Covid was a pain, and I'm sorry, I'm just not for wearing a mask when I'm outside so I didn't go to many if they were required, but I buy local honey and other local products. 



I don't have any photos of our small local farm stands, or the people who I just personally buy eggs, etc. from, but this is one of our favorite farmers markets to visit. It's on the Portland State University campus and features farmers from all over Oregon and Washington. Normally we visit them several times in the summer and purchase all sorts of things. 

3. What's a skill you think everyone should have? I think everyone should know how to manage a budget, cook, clean, and problem solve things at home. Tell us why? Life is so much easier when you can handle these things..especially managing a budget. I'm so thankful we have handled our finances well since we got married. 

4. Favorite thing you've purchased this year? I'd say things to get our home addition finished. It just means we're one step closer to being in that part. 

5. What's your favorite place to visit in the fall?  The pumpkin patch or places where leaves are falling and so colorful.



6. Insert your own random thoughts here. This weekend I'll start working at my SIL's family pumpkin patch. I always look forward to it. It's been hard since Covid because of restriction but still fun. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Love the pumpkin pictures! We visit the pumpkin patch and take pictures in October usually.
    Budgeting is an important skill I think many are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the pumpkin patch. Love that photo of the old truck loaded with pumpkins. That black and white of your MIL's family is really great. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that old truck too, there are several old pieces they use as backdrops. This year they also added an old grain silo

      Delete
  3. I love the pumpkin picture! Yes farming is a hard but rewarding way of life. We tend to take our food growers for granted I think. Hope your project is moving along now and you're in soon. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved all the photos, enjoy working at the pumpkin farm, that would be such a treat for me, thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The next few weeks will be crazy with everything else and the pumpkin patch on weekends, but it'll be fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts