10 on the 10th.....Remember 9/11



It's time for another 10 on the 10th hosted by Leslie from Once Upon a Time and Happily Ever After. I missed last months post. I just totally forgot about it. This month sharing our thoughts and memories of 9/11 since this year marks 20 years since that day. 

September 11th, 2001. I don't have the greatest memory so I don't remember details of that day, and Facebook wasn't around yet to remind me, wow, could you imagine if it had been. 

1. My oldest daughter was 6 and my youngest was 2. I do remember being home with them but I don't remember what made me turn the news on since they were probably watching a show. Or perhaps they were still asleep and I did have the news on. I don't know. I just remember it was a day you were "shocked", not sure if it was real, glued to the TV screen. It seemed surreal. I remember days later my oldest daughter and her friend were over and I had the news on and they made a comment about President Bush who was making a speech (I think), I video'd them because I asked what they would tell the President and they said, they would tell him he was doing a good job. I need to go find that video again. 

2. Even with everything going on at the time and even in the future, I never felt "unsafe". Maybe because I was living on the opposite coast away from a major city and didn't feel like we were threatened. I couldn't imagine the trauma living in the vicinities of this and not knowing what was happening or why. 

3. My heart grieved for the losses, for the pain that people experienced. I was so impressed with how so many pulled together to help, to love, to lend aid. Those who were first responders and even civilians running to help. Still so powerful.

4. I visited NYC in 2017 with my youngest daughter. I purchased these books from a vendor, and while, sure, someone could think it was cheesy, and I paid way too much, I was drawn to the photos and stories, and wanted to read more, I wanted something to remind me. 







5. Did you know that everyday volunteers put a white rose by the name of each person who has a birthday on that given day. There is at least one birthday for each day of the year. Some days there are several. 



6. There are two pools on the grounds. Each are nearly an acre in size. They sit in the footprints of the former North and South Towers of the World Trade Center. The pools contain the largest man-made waterfalls in North America, each descending 30 feet into a square basin. 



7. As soon as we walked onto the grounds, you felt an instant reverence and emotion. 




8. I follow Sean Dietrich on Facebook and his posts are always so profound. Today he shared a post titled Flight 93. So powerful. 

9. I am a lover of the country we live in, even when it takes some ugly turns. Songs that speak of patriotism and hope touch me. So today on this day I'll probably play some of my favorite songs. Leslie shared a playlist that I think is wonderful and many songs on there are my favorite. 

10. I have several friends and family members who are military and first responders, so my heart is always soft towards those and their families. I could not imagine the fear, worry, anticipation of the family's of those who were inside the building and the family's of those first responders heading towards the danger. How long it took to find out if loved ones were safe. 

The photos are from our trip in 2017

With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. I didn't know that about volunteers. Those books look like they are quite powerful. I have never seen most of the photos from inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are very powerful. And apparently a local florists donates the flowers.

      Delete
  2. I read Sean's tribute to Flight 93 - I sobbed reading. September 11th 2001 will always be a most bruised part of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my gosh. I love this post so much. Thank you for sharing some of the lesser known facts about the memorial. We had hoped to go to Boston and NYC last year in October, and Ground Zero was at the top of my list of sites to see. But Covid. We postponed until this year...but Covid. Someday I hope to get there to see this memorial for myself and to pay my respects to the lives lost and changed forever. I have a tab open to check out Sean's tribute. Thank you for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we were able to go. Hope you get to go soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts