#WQWWC......August 4th Theme.....Mountains


It's another week of  Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQWWC here. 

This weeks theme was either readers choice or the theme of "mountains". Last week I had mentioned that my father passed way the previous week. I thought of finding quotes on grief because interestingly enough, a LOT of memes with quotes about loss and pain and grief seemed to show up on my FB feed. BUT I decided to go the route of mountains. I have always loved the mountains (the physical ones...I mean, does anyone NOT like mountains), and my dad did too. As for the metaphorical mountains, well, I wouldn't say I "like" them, however, I know that growth often comes from climbing them. The journey, just like an actual mountain, can be hard, strenuous, energy zapping, and if we're honest, have us wanting to quit, BUT we know what's awaiting us on the other side so we keep going. 


The Swiss Alps are stunning

I remember one year my hubby and I were on a trip to Leavenworth, Wa. The B & B host told us of this great hike that "you'll have no problem doing". We decided to give it a try. Clearly we looked more in shape than we were...the hike was a series of switchbacks and at one point we were so close to just giving up and turning around, but then saw a much older couple walking down..."you're almost there" they said....isn't that what EVERYONE says when you meet them coming down a mountain? But, we looked at each other and said, "if they can do it, so can we". So we trudged on. At the top was a beautiful lake, and we were so proud of ourselves. I couldn't move for the next few days, every muscle screaming at me. But that's how it is..you have to keep going. 


Mt. St. Helens

Sometimes we have no choice but to keep going. Last year right before Covid we did a hike that was longer than expected. Towards the top I experienced some pain and tingling in my foot. I had no choice but to make it down the mountain, quitting wasn't an option. 

I love living in the PNW where we are surrounded by mountains, not just "hills" but gorgeous mountains. When we visited Switzerland it was like being home but on Steroids...the towering mountains were stunning. There is just something awe inspiring about them, yet they demand respect. Many a person has been lost or perished on these mountains. 

This weekend we are on Orcas Island in the Puget Sound and this was the view from the ferry. 

In life, we get to choose how we respond to the mountains that come our way. Will we cave under pressure, or will we trudge on, pausing when we need to in order to catch our breath. I will say I feel blessed to not have had to face too many mountains that seemed insurmountable, but I think it all comes down to our perspective. In the last few weeks, I've lost my dad, we had a water leak in our heating system thus have had to have everything turned off and units blowing loudly in our home to dry things out, a few car issues and we could either stress about it or do our best to roll with the punches and keep climbing. 



"I I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery-air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, "This is what it is to be happy". Sylvia Plath

 



"The mountains are calling and I must go". 




With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Kirstin, I am so sorry about your dad. I guess it didn't register or it happened after the last WQWWC. Anyway, ignore my comment on Coffee Share. Losing parents is so difficult even if you are not close to them. I wasn't close to my dad, but I had a very emotional reaction to his death. You have been climbing those mountains. Now it's time to breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the islands. I wish you a peaceful respite from all your trials. You have some gorgeous views to enjoy as you take a break. Lots of love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss, Kirstin. Mountains are majestic and they exhale confidence. People are always proud when they reach the top of a mountain. I'm not much of a climber, but I enjoy to appreciate their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. Yes mountains are just as you said. I've done a few small climbs, and boy am I pooped at the end, but it's worth it.

      Delete
  3. So sorry about your loss. May you find peace and comfort during this time. Life is full of all kinds of mountains, which also means lows in the valleys. Still, your mountain photos are gorgeous! I love the one of Mt. St. Helens.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts