#WQWWC...May 5 Theme....Mind Candy

I decided to join in with Writer's Quotes Wednesday, hosted by Marsha from Always Write. If you're interested in joining, you can find more about #WQWWC here. 

This weeks theme is Mind Candy, well, actually it is Readers Choice, but originally was mind candy, I just didn't pay attention to the fact it changed....lol. BUT I kind of liked the challenge of figuring out what this is...so.....What is mind candy? 

"Something that is intended to be pleasant to look at but has no real meaning, something pleasing to the mind but has no higher purpose, " 

"Something pleasing to the mind but isn't intellectual or thought provoking and in some cases can degrade brain function"

This could sound negative, and in some cases, that may be true, BUT I also believe that our minds need a break from all that bombards it every day. From all that we deal with at work, all the pressures that we face in other areas of life, all the decisions that need to be made. We need moments to "let down", to empty our mind for brief moments. I'm coming at this from the positive angle, because obviously there are those who are on the other side of the pendulum and it is to their detriment.

Sadly we've become a society that values busyness, we value "doing" over "being". Have you ever heard people say "oh, I don't have time for this, or that, I have too much going on". I know, it's easy to get caught up in all that "needs" to be done and soon enough, we haven't taken time for things we enjoy, things that serve no other purpose but to simply give us pleasure and enjoyment. I can get that way. I work outside the home, I do VA work from home, then I have to take care of the home and make sure the humans that live here are fed, and the list goes on....am I right? Pretty soon, I realize, I feel guilty if I take a moment or two or three, to do something that seems meaningless. I let the ones who are too busy to do anything else make me feel lazy for doing something mindless. 

STOP. HOLD. THE. PRESSES.

We have got to stop living this way. I'm talking to myself. Last week the theme was balance. How fitting for this week too....we have to find a balance, we have to find an ability to be okay with letting down, not "doing" anything. Indulging in something mindless. It's okay. But how can this become a negative? I think "mind candy" becomes a negative when it ceases to bring peace, when it ceases to inspire us, when it ceases to calm our spirits and minds. When it causes discontent with our current situation or relationships, when it stirs anger, resentment, anxiety. When it interferes with our work or other responsibilities, (oh, I probably should make dinner, oh shoot, I was going to do laundry....lol), causes strife, or poor choices. THEN, it becomes a detriment. 


What would mind candy be for me? 

* Social Media (this can be a struggle because I manage social media as a VA)
* Fiction books
* Pinterest
* Music
* Magazines
* Games on my phone..usually word or number games

I'm sure there are a few more...but these are the main ones. Do I feel they degrade my brain function? No. I just always have to be aware of how much time I'm spending on them or time I'm putting into them, or how I'm letting them influence me. The reality is, before we know it, these things can steal our time (speaking from experience). Sometimes that's okay, but sometimes we get too comfortable with it and everything else gets put on a back burner. 


This is definitely a topic that can go on and on. So many thoughts, so many angles. So much to think about, to consider, to evaluate. 

What about you? What would be mind candy for you? Have you seen it in yourself or others as a detriment? 



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Kirstin, you've got it. My friend Carmen used the word to describe the books she had on her Kindle when she gave it to me. It was fiction - shape shifters and vampire stuff - definitely mind candy for her! I love how you reasoned out that "Mind Candy" can be a good thing. I spend too much time on jigsaw puzzles I make from my photos. It doesn't accomplish much of a purpose, but it is relaxing when I'm trying to get sleepy, or waiting for someone to pick up the phone when you are calling for information. I'm addicted to it just like I get addicted to candy. Great post! You put so much thought into it, and I love how it came out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha. I have some photos I'd love to make into puzzles. I love doing puzzles too...

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts